Sponsored by:

Godspeed Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Pichu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaytoVR
I've put KW coilovers on my last 3 vehicles. As long as they make them I'll always buy them.
Variant 1 or 3? I am just looking for a basic coilover kit and I don't know if the extra price is worth it for V3 over V1.

I would not buy the Godspeed/ebay ones as they last about 2 years max (googled out reviews for other cars). Maybe longer for our cars as they are lighter? I would rather spend a bit more for no worry though.

Edit; did more reading. Seems like they have issues with winter driving and rust. Since I will never winter drive my car, this should be a non issue. Plus my car has less than 90K KM's on it, I don't think high mileage is an issue for me either. Hmmm. Will have a think on it! My car doesn't need suspension yet but it might be a fun winter project during winter hibernation.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:45 PM
davidwilson11
Racer

Pichu the silvers kit is awesome, I've been driving mine daily whilst the weather is good. No issues and superb setup.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:00 PM
Pichu
Instructor

Pretty sure I am going Godspeed way if I can get a little better price
Old 09-03-2015, 12:07 PM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

I've had the Silvers on mine for about a month now.
Very pleased with the kit, the build quality seems very good, but only time will tell if they hold up and are any good...
My indy who installed the Silvers is used to putting KW V3 and Bilsteins on to 964s, their only negative comment was regarding the rear shock, they think the skinnier part at the bottom could be beefier, but I guess time will tell if this proves to be an issue too...

Did some miles with the kit set in the middle as my indy set it to this when they installed them and adjusted the geo to RS spec, very compliant and felt like it handled better than my old Koni/H&R setup.
Tried it on full hard, very stiff and bumpy, feels like a go-cart on rails!
Also tried on full soft, probably what standard suspension feels like, would be good for touring across Europe.

Currently I have it set to Walter Rohrl street settings! rear 70% hard - front 30% hard The car really handles well now!
At speed on the motorway it hunkers down and sticks to road with minimal roll and on familiar roads feels like I'm carrying more speed into the bends without issue.
Not really done much B road blasting since fitting, but the little I have done, the car seemed more nimble and precise, quick changes of direction didn't unsettle the car and it's been a pleasure to drive.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:34 PM
Prbc4
Rennlist Member

Default Godspeed

Originally Posted by davidwilson11
Guys that is silvers and they do earlier models too. I've just fitted mine.

Ordered via Ocd Porsche in Liverpool. Facebook them and you will get a price.

Costs for the kit is amazing and the quality is out of this world.

Let me know if you need any info?

David
Any pics after install?? How low do they go??
Old 09-08-2015, 08:06 AM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Mine have been on a month, my indy didn't set them to low as wanted them to settle before full adjustment so as not to knacker the tyres...
I'll be going back soon to get the car lowered to RS spec.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:45 PM
davidwilson11
Racer

Originally Posted by Prbc4
Any pics after install?? How low do they go??
hi mate, I'll dig some pics out for ya. It has the potential to go mental low but on a c4 I will run into problems at the front.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:29 PM
18T_BT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any pictures or more reviews with more seat time?
Old 10-30-2015, 03:18 AM
ClaytoVR
Banned

Originally Posted by Pichu
Variant 1 or 3? I am just looking for a basic coilover kit and I don't know if the extra price is worth it for V3 over V1.
V1's for me. I didn't plan on tracking my car so I trust the preset dampers. I think they ride absolutely perfect for weekend car. Although I look forward to driving it a lot more next season :-)
Old 10-30-2015, 03:13 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

I will admit I am a suspension snob as I have helped set up lots of different brands on street cars, race cars, and "time attack cars". And there is practically a religious war over cheap coilover kits in the japanese car communities as that market is flooded with "triple adjustable", "remote reservoir", "monotube" coilovers for $1k which in my opinion are putting window dressing on a low quality product.

If you are looking for something to change your ride height and maybe make your care stiffer, then these kits in this price range will be fine. However, if you are looking for a true performance gain, here have been my findings.
1. ask for a shock dyno for the dampers in question. Many of these "manufactures" don't have one. Which is a bad sign. The company's don't manufacture these themselves. There are a couple factories cranking these out for rebranding and they are using the same valving for many different applications. They will change the spring rate and the damper body length to meet yoru specific chassis, but leave the rest alone. Meaning a 4000lb awd car with dramatically different geometry may have the same damper a rwd 2500 lb car.
2. If they do produce a shock dyno, many of the damping adjustments don't change the shape of the curve (which is what you want) they just shift up or down. And the single adjustable dampers have a lot of cross talk - meaning the adjustments change compression and rebound at the same time making it near impossible to actually "tune" the suspension.
3. quality control isn't good in this price range. For fun, a group of friends ran several brands of "major" brands with dampers in this price range through a shock dyno and there was a lot of variance from 1 shock to another - ie the ones that were supposed to be identical simply weren't.
4. Quality springs that actually are the spring rate they are advertised as are about $300/pair. So these aren't included in these price ranges of kits. springs in these kits generally aren't uniform, so you don't know exactly what you are getting.

If someone is looking for an quality entry level set up, I've found the non-adjustable dampers from both bilstein and KW to be really nice. The adjustments are attractive, but if you aren't going to be on track with your car, I don't really see you making changes to the set up after the "new-ness" wears off.

just my 2 cents.
Matt
Old 10-30-2015, 05:24 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was talking to a well respected Porsche Tech this morning. He runs his own Indy and has worked on everything since the 964 was a new model, including running cars in the current Carrera cup GB.

He has installed the Silvers on a couple of cars recently and was full of raise for them, particularly for the price. His personal choice for the best trackday set up (without going Ohlins or above) would be PSS10s but he said the Silvers were well made, rode well and offered good adjustment. Only issue was one of longevity, but that's a question that will only be answered with time.
The conversation certainly made me think they are a serious option for a weekend/track day car for less than half of what you would pay for any similar specced option
Old 12-08-2015, 01:36 PM
klokwerk
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I just bought a set of these. They'll arrive on Dec 15th which will be just in time for me to install them that weekend then go on vacation to Florida!

Haven't seen any pictures posted here yet. So if you all don't mind, I'll post some up from when I install them and see what you guys think.

Hope they're as good as advertised.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:42 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

We are installing them on the current car in the suspension madness thread.

A good upgrade to these would be needle bearings instead of the poly slip bushing to handle spring windup. That's the part that will likely fail first due to wear.

I couldn't get a good measure but looks like the ID of the needle bearings would have to be 2.5 inches . The ounces I have from elephant are 2.25...so they wouldn't work.

Anyway, they look great and for the price, can't beat them.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:47 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default jrz rs1

shocks shot on a recent purchase. was looking at these..any comments?
http://www.jrzsuspension.com/products/rs-line/rs1.html
Old 12-09-2015, 06:55 PM
klokwerk
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Those look interesting, but not a lot of information on their site specific to the 964.
They at least say they have an application for it, but not for what years, C2 or C4.

Did you buy a set of the JRZ's? Their site doesn't have any info on prices. I guess you have to go through a distributor?

Quick Reply: Godspeed Coilovers