Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most depressing Porsche photo

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 08:55 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I think this is convinced me to get a fire extinguisher in my car. Can anyone recommend a good one? I see Rennline sells some, a bit pricey. Look nice though.

Suppose I could just make one.

I'd rather have in mounted in the back, maybe use the seat belt bolt holes in the middle to mount a bracket. Seeing I removed them, would be a perfect place.

I found this on here:

But I'd rather it bolt down.

Last edited by DobermanDad; 07-08-2015 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:09 AM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

After a good friends b5 s4 burnt to the ground on its maiden voyage after a single turbo conversation, ill always have a fire extinguisher in the car. Two down in a week.. Brutal.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:19 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My advice would be don't bother. A small cockpit handheld will do sweet FA with an engine bay fire. By the time you notice, the situation would have progressed well beyond its capabilities. The sheer amount of latent heat and combustibles would not be bothered by the small fart those things give out. It would help you out with a fuse box or electrical fire (if you have a cut-off switch), but engine fire, forget it - I'd wager you'd get burnt trying and achieve nothing. You'd need a few of the large 12ltr jobs to stand a fighting chance.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:28 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

What about those systems I've seen installed right in the engine bay?
Old 07-10-2015, 08:51 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by robt964
My advice would be don't bother. A small cockpit handheld will do sweet FA with an engine bay fire. By the time you notice, the situation would have progressed well beyond its capabilities. The sheer amount of latent heat and combustibles would not be bothered by the small fart those things give out. It would help you out with a fuse box or electrical fire (if you have a cut-off switch), but engine fire, forget it - I'd wager you'd get burnt trying and achieve nothing. You'd need a few of the large 12ltr jobs to stand a fighting chance.
+1. Also, I think that when you open the engine lid, you likely allow a better flow of oxygen to aid the fire. I have a 10L fire system in the 993 race car with one of the three nozzles spraying on the fuel rail. It's only purpose to help buy enough time to bail out, not to stop the fire.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:06 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DobermanDad
What about those systems I've seen installed right in the engine bay?
As said above, it's all about buying you more time. A plumbed in system like you mention, frequently seen in race cars, will be a lot better but still far from any guarantee of saving the vehicle. That's not what they're there for.
It's there to give the driver an increased chance of getting out before everything goes super-nova. It can take a bit of time for Marshals to leg it over to your car wreck carrying large capacity cylinders. There are systems on commercial vehicles that do something similar, and focused more on trying to put the fire out. The capacity of the cylinders here is much larger.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:11 AM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Most depressing Porsche photo

As said above, it's all about buying you more time. A plumbed in system like you mention, frequently seen in race cars, will be a lot better but still far from any guarantee of saving the vehicle. That's not what they're there for.
It's there to give the driver an increased chance of getting out before everything goes super-nova. It can take a bit of time for Marshals to leg it over to you car wreck carrying large capacity cylinders.
So if a fire starts, it's game over for your car. What's the best way to ensure a fire doesn't start? Will my mechanic be able to verify without dropping the motor? Has anyone had their shop replace fuel lines or is this a 'while you're in there' add on to a rebuild? It seems on 25 year old cars, replacing the lines is part of ownership, but it hasn't been something I've considered until seeing this thread.

Thx
Old 07-10-2015, 10:24 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

At 25 years of age, there won't be an original hose on the car that doesn't need replacing
Old 07-10-2015, 07:30 PM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Most depressing Porsche photo

At 25 years of age, there won't be an original hose on the car that doesn't need replacing
Aw, well. F@*# it, I'll just pop for the Singer. Was sort of leaning that way anyhow.

Enjoy your weekends fellas/
Old 07-12-2015, 05:38 PM
deadendd9009
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Surprisingly, mine are nice and undamaged. It is a 1991, too. I think everyone needs to go out and check their fuel lines out, it takes but a second.

Quick Reply: Most depressing Porsche photo