Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Rebuild

Old 05-23-2015, 08:25 AM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine Rebuild

Well I am finally starting to pull the engine for the upcoming rebuild. This process will be kind of long as I am going to do quite a few things while I am in there. The engine will be rebuilt in Raleigh, NC, so I will be tearing down the motor to just the case/cylinders/heads. I went ahead and pulled everything off top since I was going to do that anyway and it should making clearing under the car easier.

My goal is not to add really any performance, however to make sure it is built for longevity. I may add the LWF though.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:44 AM
993Buyer
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

What is the budget for this rebuilt?
Old 05-23-2015, 01:04 PM
Duck
Burning Brakes

At this point, I am not sure till European Performance tears it down. I hope that I do not have to cut many corners. Plan to keep it stock but will go with strengthened parts where possible. I only do an occasional DE so do not plan to go crazy like going to a GT3 oil pump.

I will probably make sure all oil hoses are in good shape. I am going with a new front oil cooler as mine did not seem to cool to well.

Any suggestions welcomed.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:18 PM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow! Good luck on the rebuild. I love seeing projects like this.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:34 PM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Thanks. I am not going to do the serious work myself but will have many side projects. Working on PDAS slave cylinder seals now. One was leaking, but will do both.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:52 PM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Right on.

I have to sort my PDAS too. My light keeps coming on. Probably time for an hydraulic bleed. My 964 is slowly coming together though.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:15 PM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Default Engine is out

Was able to finally remove the engine today. It was not that it was so hard, just have not spent much time lately as we move into summer.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:18 PM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Default Is this a big concern

While the engine was out, took a quick look over and found what looks like a sizable crack in the case. Should I be concerned?

It is on the driver side below the crank case vent housing.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:19 AM
Freya
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've rebuilt a number of engines and am considering , that when the time comes on my 964, just to buy a rebuilt long block from one of the suppliers. Maybe I'm getting old, but doing all the work, plus the machine cost on a 911, kinda takes my love of wrenching away. For instance, Vertexauto just advertised a rebuilt long block for our 964s at $11,999. I put almost that much is parts and machine work on a 1967 911s. Plus doing all the tear down and assembling myself. Any thoughts?

As for Duck's concern regarding a possible crack, I would be carefull. Your shop can tell you if it is a crack and not an assemble mold mark. If it is, it can be welded and the case checked for correct alignment. I'm not a machine shop guy but have had repairs done on cases.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:34 AM
ray stobbs
Racer

wow mine did not look that clean when I put it back in has this been out before
Old 06-03-2015, 09:51 AM
Alan 91 C2
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Good Thread.

My 91 C2 has 168K miles. Main reason I need to tear it down is the massive oil leaks. I have rebuilt lots of engines, but time is hard to set aside.

The biggest cost is the cylinders and pistons. I just resealed a 944 T engine that was within wear spec for the piston wear. So if I am within the wear spec, the cylinders can stay. Do not know how the cams hold up on these engines. But certainly all the cam drive chains have to go.

Cylinder heads can probably be reworked, with guide inserts. Valve cover, do not know?

Will be pulling the engine this summer.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:08 PM
Freya
Intermediate

Hey, Alan. My 91 C2 has a bit over 141,000 miles and as of yet drives strong, passes California smog, doesn't use oil, no smoke and very small oil drip. If it goes to 168k I'll be happy. Was your engine still performing well, not considering the oil leaks? I am wondering just how long the typical 964 engine can go before it no longer passes smog and drops in performance?

Duck: how many miles did you have on your engine?
Old 06-03-2015, 05:48 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default crack

I doubt that's crack, most likely castings marks.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:34 PM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Freya
I am wondering just how long the typical 964 engine can go before it no longer passes smog and drops in performance?
Here's a thread I started last year with some discussion that may be related to your question.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-rebuilds.html
Old 06-04-2015, 12:03 AM
Freya
Intermediate

Regarding oil leaks. I have always run Mobile One in my 964. However, when I run a synthentic oil in my older Porsches, they leak like a sieve. Based on investigation and some mechanic's recommendation, I now use a multi-grade (DELO) diesel oil for these early cars. The leaks stopped. However, cars with catalytic convertors should not use diesel oils as I understand those oils will do detrimental damage to the convertors. So here is the question: on high milage engines can a switch from synthetic to conventional automobile multi-grade oils curtail engine leaks in our 964? What advantage does a synthetic oil have over modern regular oils on these high milage engines?

Jerry G
Prahter, California

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Rebuild