Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure Sender?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 08:00 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by crg53
Your oil temp seems a bit high, that would account for the lower pressure at idle. Have you checked your oil cooler and fan for proper operation. You may just have a dirty oil cooler, if it's never been cleaned, I would start there first.
THIS will give you an idea, what a dirty oil cooler look like.

That is a different problem entirely. My oil cooler has a slow drip, but its not from the sensor or the lines. The entire bottom half of the oil cooler is just wet. So I assume it would stick debris a bit more in its current condition. However, I would think these temps are somewhat normal for a city driven, stoplight to stoplight car no?

Originally Posted by porsche mania
I fitted a genuine one, not sure what I'll get next. I've been told that no two senders will behave exactly the same so my advice is get it to your local shop and have them put a manual gauge on it, it only takes 10 mins with a cool motor and will give you the piece of mind you are looking for. Had my car back for a couple of months and haven't dared drive it properly as my gauge wouldn't read above 4 after a full rebuild. Just got back from its first thorough thrashing and can't stop grinning!
I was watching some youtube vids today, and It seems most people have their gauge behave like mine; a little above zero on ignition only. But I always assumed I hit five bar until I saw what five bar looks like, it seems my gauge never shows above ~4.5. I'm still 50-50 on what to do, I want to get a manual gauge for peace of mind on it, but I have also never removed any part of the manifold, so it will def. be a learning day for me.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:43 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For those who have a similar issue, it was indeed the sender that was faulty. I was starting to suspect it more and more as it would slowly give me the oil pressure light when the temp gauge was not very high.

But this is also what my oil cooler looked like, replaced it along with a new resistor.
Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2020, 12:01 PM
joshw
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
Rather than starting another post on oil pressure sender units, I thought I would just add to this one.

I've had my 964 for a little over a year and have noticed the oil pressure gauge bounce around a lot while driving (never noticed the oil light come on). It wasn't something I concerned myself with at first but lately, the car seems to be idling poorly when at a stop sign or red light so I began searching for answers. The car has never actually stalled. With regards to the oil pressure gauge, it seems to hold idle above 1 bar and will shoot up while under throttle, and drop when I engage the clutch to shift, and then jump back up under throttle. I don't know if this is normal behaviour or if the two issues are related but it seemed like a good place to start. Should I be looking to replace the sending unit to resolve this issue, and could it be related to the idling issue as well?

I also slightly overfilled the oil during my last oil change, would this impact the car's behaviour?

Thanks, everyone.
Old 12-21-2020, 12:05 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Your oil pressure should be 1 bar for every 1000 rpm of engine speed. The oil pressure will vary as your engine speed varies. If you hold the engine speed steady, does the oil pressure vary? If so, you may have a pressure sender problem.
Old 12-21-2020, 01:26 PM
joshw
Track Day

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply, it appears perhaps my concern is more related to inexperience with these air-cooled cars. I would say my car maintains its oil pressure (1 bar for every 1000 RPM), it's only when I come off the accelerator that it drops. That said I have watched a few driving videos of other 964s and really focused on the oil pressure gauge and they don't seem to fluctuate while shifting gears?

Old 12-21-2020, 04:24 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

If you are changing gears, you may or may not notice a change in oil pressure. There is a slight lag to the engine RPM.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:58 AM
joshw
Track Day

Thanks for the advice and responses, but it appears it'll be a while before I'm able to take the car out for another test ride. We received our first major snowfall overnight and I'm now looking at a foot of snow and it's still coming down. April may be the soonest she comes out of the garage but I've got a few projects, replacing some worn outer mouldings, and a few other odds and ends.

See you in the spring.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Sender?