Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuse #1 melted but did not blow

Old 05-02-2015, 09:02 AM
cossie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse #1 melted but did not blow

I was driving with the AC on when suddenly a burnt smell came out of the AC vents. Since I was in the middle of traffic that time and had no chance to stop on the shoulder I just turned off the AC till I reached a gas station. The burnt smell went away while the AC was off so I wasn't in panic mode. When I reached the gas station I tried turning on the AC and it worked fine, speed controls working and blowing cold. But after around 20 seconds the burnt smell was back. Upon checking the fuse box, fuse #1 was melted but it was not blown. I haven't replaced the fuse since it also slightly melted the fuse holder (where the contacts are) so I still have to sand it a bit to be able to fit a new one.

What can cause the fuse to melt without blowing it? Can the burnt smell be from the melted fuse only or should I check other things as well?

My ACC seems to be working well since all controls work. The only problem I have with my AC is an intermittent chirping sound from the right blower motor. Moreover, I am quite sure that the previous fuse is not the flimsy china-made ones.

Any inputs on this is appreciated.

My car is a 1990 C2 by the way.

Last edited by cossie; 05-02-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:39 AM
Norse_man
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cossie
I was driving with the AC on when suddenly a burnt smell came out of the AC vents. Since I was in the middle of traffic that time and had no chance to stop on the shoulder I just turned off the AC till I reached a gas station. The burnt smell went away while the AC was off so I wasn't in panic mode. When I reached the gas station I tried turning on the AC and it worked fine, speed controls working and blowing cold. But after around 20 seconds the burnt smell was back. Upon checking the fuse box, fuse #1 was melted but it was not blown. I haven't replaced the fuse since it also slightly melted the fuse holder (where the contacts are) so I still have to sand it a bit to be able to fit a new one.

What can cause the fuse to melt without blowing it? Can the burnt smell be from the melted fuse only or should I check other things as well?

My ACC seems to be working well since all controls work. The only problem I have with my AC is an intermittent chirping sound from the right blower motor. Moreover, I am quite sure that the previous fuse is not the flimsy china-made ones.

Any inputs on this is appreciated.

My car is a 1990 C2 by the way.
Sounds like a bad fuse That didn't break the way it's designed to. I'd change it out and go from there to find out what's making it burn. Or high resistance from some corrosion on the blades or fuse was not seated right in the fuse holder.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:40 PM
justin-in-athens
Pro

...or improper fuse to begin with. Check to make sure it was the correct number of amps for the circuit.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:11 PM
Norse_man
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=justin-in-athens;12251475]...or improper fuse to begin with. Check to make sure it was the correct number of amps for the circuit.[/QUOTE

If this is the case then you most likely have a short some place for it to melt the fuse.
If if was the proper sized fuse it most likely wasn't making full blade contact and that will melt the fuse with out just popping it.
And was likely the source of the problem. Then a simple fuse is the solution and probably won't have to investigate further.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:25 PM
cossie
Intermediate

The melted fuse is clear white which I assume is the correct spec 25A. Thanks for the inputs and I hope it's just a bad fuse or poor connection.

However, it got me thinking... can a melting fuse cause a burnt smell coming into the AC vents even if the recirc button is engaged? Could it be that something else within the system is burning simultaneously with the fuse?
Old 05-02-2015, 08:59 PM
h100vw
4th Gear

A 25A can actually handle much more than 25A before it will blow. Most blade fuses need twice the advertised rating to blow them.
Usually this is only for a very short time and will not melt wiring.
If the current crept up over a longer period, the fuse would remain intact and heat up, causing the plastic to melt.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:53 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Over time and HEAT the fingers that grip the ends of the fuses lose their "SPRINGINESS".

Remove the fuse(s) and bent the fingers toward the fuse ends.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuse #1 melted but did not blow