Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 12:37 AM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1993 Carrera Cup DVD - US thread

I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that. John B's DVD of the 1993 Carrera Supercup got to this side of the Atlantic and that seeing the 964s in serious racing = priceless. More good news is that the quality is also really good considering that these came originally on a VHS, JohnFM did a stellar job in digitizing a back-up copy. The other good news is that we now have back-up copies, which are available to circulate on a no charge - these are back up copies and hence legal - basis.

The bad news is that while I can back up onto proper DVD+R's and these will play in any DVD player I cannot change the region coding - they are locked into the UK code i.e. do not play on a normal US DVD player. I thought I could do the change but cannot and haven't got time now to think of a fix, (any ideas welcomed). I could do an analog copy onto MPEG or VCD, but think we'd lose too much quality to make that a worthwhile way to waste a morning!

Things aren't entirely lost for the US folks who want to see this. If you only want to watch this once or twice, AND your computer has a RPC-2 DVD drive (and most new ones have) then you are allowed 5 region switches before the drive locks into the fifth (more details are on the web - I can dig out links if needed). If you want a more permanent solution then, well I use a little software program called DVD region free (no affiliation) and my PC is permanently able to play anything from anywhere. Or, if you are in the market for another home DVD player then think about buying a region free one (my Daewoo for the bedroom cost less than $100 from eBay). Again, I've no affiliation with any of these products apart from being a happy user and you'd have to do some work for yourself - sorry!

So, if I haven't bored you to death and you'd like to be on the list to see a copy please PM me. (Flying Finn and JC in NY please PM if you still want to see a region 2 version).

John B also please let me know if I've missed anything - If I may I'd like to hold onto the DVD you sent me until we've gotten the US list sorted and then I'll send it and one other back.

MANY MANY THANKS TO JOHN B for lending his back up copy.

Old 09-05-2003, 03:02 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever you like, R.

Don't forget, if you can make use of the PAL video, I can send that over.

Why do DVDs have this stupid 'region' code anyway?
Old 09-05-2003, 05:19 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ru
glad it worked.

I might have to go onto JB's list as I never saw more than the first 2 minutes myself!!!
Old 09-06-2003, 12:53 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be grateful to join the list! I'll watch it on the PC! Although I've been considering the purchase of a multi region machine for some time - so I can order nostalgic DVD's from UK like "Minder", "Only fools and Horses", "porridge" and all those great shows that they just arent putting out here on NTSC!!! Plus I have lots of stuff my family send over not realizing the format is different!!!

Sign me up R.!!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2003, 12:57 AM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

K - You are on!
Old 09-06-2003, 07:47 AM
jonfkaminsky
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To answer John's question - The reason for the region code was two-fold- one to circumvent the import market, the second is for the big studio's micromanagement of film release time to geographical market. In the first case, if you live in the US, you are forced to pay the monopolistic price of $24.99 for any regular US region release, and they do not want you to be able to import a cheaper version available in another region. In the second case, for less clear reasons, the studios release films all over the world on different schedules ostensibly to maximize profits. These codes prevent someone in the UK for example to import a genuine US copy before that studio's intended release date in the UK.

The work-around on all of this if of course to own a DVD player for every region :-) But you can use a software hack if you DVDROm checks region with software (DVD Genie is a freeware program that will do this), and if your DVDROM uses firmware to perform this task you can update your firmware in some cases with a patch.

Check your DVDROM drive with a cute little program from this link http://www.remoteselector.com/download.htm

Check http://www.rpc1.com for firmware patches or try a program called DVD Region free.

YMMV,
Jon

Last edited by jonfkaminsky; 09-06-2003 at 08:02 AM.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:50 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

I apologize – last week just got away from me.

Anyhow I should be sending out the back-ups Mon/Tues. Here are the current lists.

Kahdmus
993PET
Flying Finn

Jason Andreas
Bill Gregory

If you could forward it on to the next name on your list once you’ve seen it that would be great.

If anyone else wants to see it, probably best to post here or PM me and we can work out the hows then.

Enjoy
Old 09-15-2003, 12:00 AM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

If you could add me to the list, that would be great.
-Eric
90 C2
NER/PCA
Old 09-15-2003, 08:53 AM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

I'd like to add myself to the list for video #1 after Flyin Finn. We're both down here in South Florida, so it's a logical exchange.

I'll send him a message to let him know!
Old 09-15-2003, 05:20 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

I would like to be added to the list if thats possible.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:08 AM
Charles In SM
6th Gear

I would like to be added to the list too.

Region 1 video?

Quick Reply: 1993 Carrera Cup DVD - US thread