Sponsored by:

Floor Board Another Alternative DIY

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 12:44 PM
mtnbikeman123
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Floor Board Another Alternative DIY

My new-to-me 964 had damp foam under the carpet in both footwells and some semi-serious rust so I immediately tore out the foam. In the spirit of DIY, I made myself some floor boards, similar to what was done here.

Mine certainly don't compare with the craftsmanship here.

I bought two Subaru wagon floor panels from the u-pull-it for $5 each. One ended up being a honeycomb like plastic and the other a foam core with metal skins. Both were carpeted and the black ended up matching my carpets. I made a template with cardboard and cut out the shape from the floor panel with a jig saw. Some glue and staples and the floor board was ready to go. I put my mats on top so it hides all my work but I don't think the carpet on the panel would wear well over time.

Not the most beautiful thing but I am happy with it and it was a fun project. I wish the carpet didn't have the wear spot on it already but oh well. The circular mark on the board is where I had a wheel sitting on it while the glue was drying. That mark is gone now.

Just thought I would share the idea. I am hoping to replace my ratty pedal board with this material too in the near future.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:53 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice job. I did the same thing myself. Put the floorboard carpet over it otherwise the carpet on your floorboard will wear VERY quickly from your foot moving and the carpet being glued down.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:01 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good job, I think that's a great idea to cover the boards with carpet for a mostly street car.

Since doing mine I've stained the wood black so that they look good when exposed but usually have floor mats over them when the car is in normal street use.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:08 PM
mtnbikeman123
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the reasons I wanted a carpeted board was I didn't want the floor mat to slide on the floor board. I made a test piece out of piece of wood and the mat slipped all over the place. The mat stays in place (mostly) on the carpeted surface.

Quick Reply: Floor Board Another Alternative DIY