993 internals in 964

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 10:08 AM
Henrysc
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 internals in 964

Hi all,

Looking for a solution to rebuild my 964 engine . The engine is being transplanted into my 79SC when I finish rebuilding it ,I plan running 993 headers ,custom exhaust and having a live remap done once run in so hoping to achieve around 300 bhp on a stock motor .

The engine had a spun 6 rod bearing , so have been considering the folowing options .

1. regrind crank will have to be at .50 oversise as had it checked and rod had already taken off .25 . However my machine shop does not recomend this . so crank is effectivly a right off ?

2. Fit Gt3 crank and custom rods , I liked this idea as new parts and stronger but had'nt realised I needed the rods to go with the crank so mucho expense.

3. I can get hold of a low milage 993 crank rods and pistons from a varioram car at a reasonable price . I have heard this will work but a little unsure .

My thoughts are with option 3 , does anyone have experience of this set up ? will compression be the same and bhp figures to? is there anything else I need to consider , other than ditching the harmonic pulley? thoughts most welcome . cheers H
Old 04-12-2015, 05:52 AM
Henrysc
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Henrysc
Hi all,

Looking for a solution to rebuild my 964 engine . The engine is being transplanted into my 79SC when I finish rebuilding it ,I plan running 993 headers ,custom exhaust and having a live remap done once run in so hoping to achieve around 300 bhp on a stock motor .

The engine had a spun 6 rod bearing , so have been considering the folowing options .

1. regrind crank will have to be at .50 oversise as had it checked and rod had already taken off .25 . However my machine shop does not recomend this . so crank is effectivly a right off ?

2. Fit Gt3 crank and custom rods , I liked this idea as new parts and stronger but had'nt realised I needed the rods to go with the crank so mucho expense.

3. I can get hold of a low milage 993 crank rods and pistons from a varioram car at a reasonable price . I have heard this will work but a little unsure .

My thoughts are with option 3 , does anyone have experience of this set up ? will compression be the same and bhp figures to? is there anything else I need to consider , other than ditching the harmonic pulley? thoughts most welcome . cheers H
Anyone used this set up?

Quick Reply: 993 internals in 964