C4 Will not start

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 11:18 AM
SimonWoodall
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 Will not start

91 C4 Coupe
If I turn the key, the engine fires, and will continue to run so long as the starter is running. Release the key and it dies.
I wondered about the ignition switch, and stuck my head under the dash to see how to remove it. I can unscrew the lower screw, but how the h*ll do you get at the upper one which is tight against the metalwork?
And is that the right answer?
Old 04-10-2015, 12:22 PM
onceover
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Could be the DME relay
Old 04-10-2015, 02:31 PM
SimonWoodall
3rd Gear

I thought that, but I keep a spare genuine Porsche DME relay, and swapping them does not make any difference.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:12 PM
onceover
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Was worth a shot!

I would try to do some more investigation before removing the lock cylinder, I don't think thats the problem.

Do all the lights turn on and everything work properly aside from the engine running when the key is in the ON position? If so I doubt its the ignition.

The DME runs the fuel pump when the key is in the starter position, once it turns to the ON position there should be a engine speed signal to the DME to let it know that its running. I have a feeling there is something up with the DME not getting a signal telling it the engine is running and thus it cuts the fuel pump.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:23 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If the engine runs, your getting spark and gas, so it's probably not the flywheel speed sensor, But it's worth a check. To test this, you open the DME relay(under drivers seat) and used a multimeter set to AC voltage, across pins 47 & 48 of the large plug. iT's supposed to read 3 volts.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:12 PM
SimonWoodall
3rd Gear

Ok, I did have a DME relay problem, both my relays had faults, a different one in each, so they're both in the bin. But whilst checking this out, I found that with the ignition on, if I wiggle the key, I can kill ALL the lights on the dash, which leads me back to my original premise of a problem with the ignition switch, so how the heck do I get this out?
Old 04-14-2015, 01:31 PM
Gordon52
Cruisin'

I had to replace mine on my 89 back a couple of years ago, as I recall it was NOT fun as there is no front access for the switch removal.Two screws from behind the dash, bottom one not so bad the top one was difficult , just no room. I had to remove a "box" near it for what access I could get.
I used a small socket type wrench that I could slip a phillips bit in from my drill which made a nice right angle tool with just enough room to work.....I had to do this blind as there was no way to see as I was working but in the end I won! Once the two screws are out it is a pretty straight forward replacement.
Hope this helps ...
The other option that a shop wanted to do was remove the dash $$

Quick Reply: C4 Will not start