964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightweight battery

Old 10-17-2018, 11:54 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

FWIW i have a braille i've used in my RS for sale. Fits in stock location/mounts. 75 lead AH Equiv (25AH actual). 10lbs. Included charger.

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...e-charger.html
Old 10-18-2018, 08:16 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by HiWind
hey Fox it looks like you have similar taste (except in mirrors - I need more help reversing!)

Run the VPH750 on the track 996 cup .. 7 years and counting ... does the P6 have the auto cut-off circuitry ie sense when voltage dropping and shut battery off?

Darn that car look good! Do you have 993 brakes on there?

Still no issues with the Voltphreaks VPR P6. I;m running with the VPR P6 in both my 993 (track duty) and 964 (daily driver, and autocross pretender), and both with RS pulleys. No issues charging or staying charged, even after idle periods of two to three weeks with no trickle charger. The push button on/off feature is a big bonus when working on the car.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:47 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Hi guys, I have a few questions/concerns if someone could help.

My current battery is completely shagged.
A normal lead replacement battery will cost me $220nzd and a deltran lithium one 480cca $550nzd so it's not a great difference.

I have no power in my shed so a trickle charger is not really an option, maybe I could run an extension lead out there now and again if needed.

My questions are

1.If I use my cutout switch every time the car is not in use should the battery stay alive?

2. Is anyone using these batteries in cold weather? It's 6° Celsius here today and gets down to about 0° in winter sometimes.

I rarely use the car, maybe once a month or sometimes 2 months

Thanks in advance
Old 11-09-2018, 04:25 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

Lithium batteries do not do well in extreme cold, and not all lithium batteries are the same. The Deltran has a 480 CCA rating, but operating temperature is limited to 4*C/40*F. You’re right on the edge. The Voltphreaks VPH 750 is twice the cost, but it’s rated to -22*F. That could be the difference beteeen being left out in the cold. But the Delttan looks to be a solid unit otherwise, and the 480 CCA rating is very close to the VPH 750’s 500 CCA rating. The Deltran looks like a good deal, but low temperatures may be problematic.

Turning off the battery will eliminate the draw from parasitic drain, but the battery will still need to be topped off if left alone for extended periods of time. That said, I’ve gone 6 weeks without a charge with rhe VPH 750, and the battery was still almost fully charged and fired right up. Winter may prove a different story however.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:31 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Foxman
Lithium batteries do not do well in extreme cold, and not all lithium batteries are the same. The Deltran has a 480 CCA rating, but operating temperature is limited to 4*C/40*F. You’re right on the edge. The Voltphreaks VPH 750 is twice the cost, but it’s rated to -22*F. That could be the difference beteeen being left out in the cold. But the Delttan looks to be a solid unit otherwise, and the 480 CCA rating is very close to the VPH 750’s 500 CCA rating. The Deltran looks like a good deal, but low temperatures may be problematic.

Turning off the battery will eliminate the draw from parasitic drain, but the battery will still need to be topped off if left alone for extended periods of time. That said, I’ve gone 6 weeks without a charge with rhe VPH 750, and the battery was still almost fully charged and fired right up. Winter may prove a different story however.
Thanks for the info Jim,
You have given me a few things to think of before I decide what I'm doing.
I would say I wouldn't use the car under 4° but I don't know that for sure. I'm presuming these temperature ratings they put on things is like best before dates on food! You shouldn't eat it but it's probably Ok!
Ideally I'd love a voltphreaks but it's way out of my budget.
I'm kind of thinking of just trying the deltran and seeing what happens. I'd monitor the voltage and put the battery tender on it when required.
Keen to see how you get on over winter, I'm sure it will be all good.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:59 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 137 Posts

Best before dates- haha- I tend to agree. That said why not just pull the battery and keep it in the house (on a trickle charger) during the winter?

Pete
Old 11-09-2018, 06:47 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Peteinjp
Best before dates- haha- I tend to agree. That said why not just pull the battery and keep it in the house (on a trickle charger) during the winter?

Pete
yes that's a good point Pete, and something I'd probably do. Ideally I wanto have the car so I can just park it and don't worry about anything but I guess that just doesn't happen when you don't use a car often.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:28 PM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 137 Posts

I bet you’ll be ok. I’m guessing the specs are for when using the car I.e. if you were going to be starting it during the cold months. Just sitting in 0* weather probably won’t hurt the battery in fact according to the instructions it seems ideal (see d. below). Straight from deltran:

b) Compared to lead-acid batteries, the Battery Tender® Lithium battery has less than 5% of the average self-discharge rate and can be stored for much longer periods without maintenance.
c) If there is no current draw from your vehicle when your ignition is off the Battery Tender® Lithium battery can be stored for one year without damage.
d) For long term storage the ideal temperature is 1oC (34oF).
e) The battery should be stored in a minimum charge state of 70%.
f) A lithium battery’s cranking performance decreases as its temperature
approaches freezing. Most vehicles will start normally on the first try in temperatures down to 40°F. If the engine fails to start on the first try in cold weather, a load such as the headlights can be used to warm the battery. The length of time it takes to warm the battery depends on its temperature. The colder the weather, the longer it will take to warm the battery sufficiently. Five minutes is a good rule of thumb when the temperature is below freezing. Keeping the battery fully charged will improve cold weather starting.
CHARGING
a) Do not use a desulphation or pulse charger, doing so will damage the battery and void the warranty.
b) Standard lead-acid chargers may be used, as long as they do not exceed 14.8Volts during charging.
c) Maximum charge rate is 10Amps.
d) The use of a lithium specific charger such as the units in the Battery
Tender® Lithium Charger series is strongly recommended
e) Do not allow the lithium battery to discharge below 8Volts as this will
damage the battery and void the warranty.
f) Do not charge the battery in temperatures below -10oC (14oF).
Old 11-09-2018, 09:22 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Great info thanks Pete

With the max charging rate at 10amps, how much do our alternator put out?

It sounds like I can make this work, I think the key will be to buy a multimeter and check the voltage, when it starts to get down a bit I'll hook the battery tender up to it.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:53 PM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The newest 480CCA Deltran battery comes with a battery management system built in. It will auto shutoff the battery to prevent it from discharging completely if there is a parasitic drain on it ensuring that you won;t be left with a flat battery and that it will not be damaged by discharging completely.

Neil
Old 11-09-2018, 10:59 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rotorheadcase
The newest 480CCA Deltran battery comes with a battery management system built in. It will auto shutoff the battery to prevent it from discharging completely if there is a parasitic drain on it ensuring that you won;t be left with a flat battery and that it will not be damaged by discharging completely.

Neil
Great! Thanks Neil, that's awesome. Sounds like I can't really go wrong with one then
Old 11-11-2018, 01:40 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

This is a great thread! My lead-acid battery is on its last legs and need a new battery soon.

The new Deltran/Battery Tender 480CCA one looks interesting and good price point... http://products.batterytender.com/Ba...m-Battery.html

Still trying to understand the restart feature the Antigravity battery has. How is that different than the over discharge battery management feature that the Deltran battery has?
Old 11-11-2018, 09:27 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 976 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by samurai_k
This is a great thread! My lead-acid battery is on its last legs and need a new battery soon.

The new Deltran/Battery Tender 480CCA one looks interesting and good price point... http://products.batterytender.com/Ba...m-Battery.html

Still trying to understand the restart feature the Antigravity battery has. How is that different than the over discharge battery management feature that the Deltran battery has?
Hey all... for what it's worth, all our batteries have quite a bit more REAL Amp HOurs in them than Deltran, or any other brand. Here' s how it works..... All of us (lithium Battery Companies) give what is called a PbEq Rating for the these Batteries. This rating is to give the Customer a rough idea of the Apples to Apples Comparison to a Lead/Acid Battery. Pb=Lead Eq=Equivalent. So for example say someone wants what is called a 30 Series sized battery... its for Touring bikes and used a lot in Performance Cars as a good replacement size if you want to save some weight. Well, a Lead/Acid 30 size is 30 Amp Hours.... but a Lithium is so much more powerful (and costly for lithium cells) that the Lithium Companies do not give you a REAL 30Ah in their batteries, because they don't need to. Even a 5-Ah lithium Battery will start a V8 Car no problem. So in this example Deltran actually gives 12 REAL Amp Hours in their 30 size battery. but Antigravity Batteries gives you a REAL 18Ah... which is 1/3 more real battery capacity and power. But also none of us (lithium companies) follow each other with this PbEq rating... we just give you what we want to based on how we want to make our product. So a product might have exactly the same standardized case size (like the 30 size) but one product will have much more power and capacity (Antigravity), so you have to call the company to know what you are REALLY getting. Last, Deltran is not a high-end product at any point in it's Business plan. They make cheaper, inexpensive stuff for the masses, and they do not have the higher end of production in mind. I'm not saying it won't work at all, or that it's a bad product, it can be perfectly fine, but you are not getting a high Ah battery with a great build quality, and that can be ok. But I have no problem saying our stuff will kick their butts overall in lifespan, technology, build quality, power, and capacity. But we are a higher price. But it ends up we move faster in bringing technology and ideas to our batteries, and do stuff better being a smaller company and specializing in our Lithium niche. But it ends up being about what you, the Customer, want to spend and get for you money. I'm just saying we are another option in your choices.

Now about the RE-START feature... I'll let the videos below explain it. But we developed that first, and are the only ones to have it. It basically means you won't ever be stranded with a Dead Battery, due to our reserve built-in to the battery and how the battery intelligently monitors itself...... Additionally we offer a Battery called the RS-30 which is a more Automotive sized battery but utterly demolishes anything around with 1200 Cranking Amps, a real 30Ah and all the protections, which companies like Braille do not offer, yet we are over half the cost of the equivalent Braille and Braille has absolutely NO protections or any kind on their battery, which is completely crazy at this time in battery technology.

If you have any questions at all ask, one of use will reply.

Last edited by Antigravity; 11-12-2018 at 11:23 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 11-12-2018, 01:09 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

38F yesterday morning. I turned on the ignition long enough for the C4 hydraulics to pressurize then started the engine up with no problem. This is with the Antigravity atx30-rs.

Antigravity, could you answer a few qus? What triggers the re-start sleep, xx volts? Does the battery need to warm slowly near/below freezing temperatures, and can hitting the starter right away cause damage? What happens if your charger is connected and the temperature dips down, is there a temperature where the charger should be disconnected?

Edit: Before anyone wonders, there is plenty of space between the positive terminal and the body Though it could use a plastic barrier for front impact safety. Battery mount was easy to make with some aluminum plate, weighs only a few ounces, and is perfectly secure. The negative lead is the starter motor part which has eyelet terminals on both ends. No reason to buy a lightweight battery then install it with a 2 pounds of mounting hardware.

Last edited by -nick; 11-12-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:10 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Hey all... for what it's worth, all our batteries have quite a bit more REAL Amp HOurs in them than Deltran, or any other brand. Here' s how it works..... All of us (lithium Battery Companies) give what is called a PbEq Rating for the these Batteries. This rating is to give the Customer a rough idea of the Apples to Apples Comparison to a Lead/Acid Battery. Pb=Lead Eq=Equivalent. So for example say someone wants what is called a 30 Series sized battery... its for Touring bikes and used a lot in Performance Cars as a good replacement size if you want to save some weight. Well, a Lead/Acid 30 size is 30 Amp Hours.... but a Lithium is so much more powerful (and costly for lithium cells) that the Lithium Companies do not give you a REAL 30Ah in their batteries, because they don't need to. Even a 5-Ah lithium Battery will start a V8 Car no problem. So in this example Deltran actually gives 12 REAL Amp Hours in their 30 size battery. but Antigravity Batteries gives you a REAL 18Ah... which is 1/3 more real battery capacity and power. But also none of us (lithium companies) follow each other with this PbEq rating... we just give you what we want to based on how we want to make our product. So a product might have exactly the same standardized case size (like the 30 size) but one product will have much more power and capacity (Antigravity), so you have to call the company to know what you are REALLY getting. Last, Deltran is not a high-end product at any point in it's Business plan. They make cheaper, inexpensive stuff for the masses, and they do not have the higher end of production in mind. I'm not saying it won't work at all, or that it's a bad product, it can be perfectly fine, but you are not getting a high Ah battery with a great build quality, and that can be ok. But I have no problem saying our stuff will kick their butts overall in lifespan, technology, build quality, power, and capacity. But we are a higher price. But it ends up we move faster in bringing technology and ideas to our batteries, and do stuff better being a smaller company and specializing in our Lithium niche. But it ends up being about what you, the Customer, want to spend and get for you money. I'm just saying we are another option in your choices.

Now about the RE-START feature... I'll let the videos below explain it. But we developed that first, and are the only ones to have it. It basically means you won't ever be stranded with a Dead Battery, due to our reserve built-in to the battery and how the battery intelligently monitors itself...... Additionally we offer a Battery called the RS-30 which is a more Automotive sized battery but utterly demolishes anything around with 1200 Cranking Amps, a real 30Ah and all the protections, which companies like Braille do not offer, yet we are over half the cost of the equivalent Braille and Braille has absolutely NO protections or any kind on their battery, which is completely crazy at this time in battery technology.

If you have any questions at all ask, one of use will reply.

Thanks.

So is the ATX20 closest comparable to the deltran battery tender option? Can you explain how is your option better and different other than the larger battery capacity and restart you explained above? Warranty? Accessories? Apps?

Lastly, why the ATX 20 vs. ATX30?

My car is a weekend driver and usually planned drives to events through the mountains with friends or to track that is only a few hours away that can't be supported by a AAA flat bed if I ever had an issue. Live in norcal so the temp rarely dips below 50 during the winter for a drive in the morning. Not sure the RS30 is needed. Maybe?

Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lightweight battery