Stuttcars.com 0-62 - 4.8 sec
      https://www.stuttcars.com/porsche-models/911/964/

Total 911 Data file 0-60 - 4.8 sec
      http://www.total911.com/datafile/911-turbo-3-6/
      Old 06-02-2015, 01:57 AM
      John McM
      Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 336 Posts

Motor trend wrote that my Cayman R will do 0 to 60 in 4.2 seconds, however I don't consider it as 'fast' as my (now sold) Turbo 3.6 where it often counts on the road, which is torque driven overtaking. The Turbo 3.6 is not a drag car, but give it a rolling start and I think it would hold its own against more modern cars.
      Old 06-02-2015, 02:29 AM
      azander
      Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

In addition to the Rennline bits, KW V3s (fitted to at least the early ones).

I'd take an RS and uprate the engine any day... But my dream car might just be the Turbo S Leichtbau.
      Old 06-02-2015, 02:55 AM
      BHCfarkas
      Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cobalt
      I love your comments.

How would you know what a singer or 3.6T is capable of and how can you opine on their merits without ever experiencing either? My 3.6T drives circle around many cars that are considered superior. I have no doubt a singer is an easier car to drive and requires less skill to drive at speed. Minor modifications and a 3.6T is a rocket and can outrun many cars with more HP and has incredible high speed handling.

It would be interesting to see how they compare but running circles around I highly doubt it.

BTW what qualifies a Porsche to be the cats meow???
      How can I "opine" on the merits of either? The same way you literally stroke yourself to everything you own as being "the best."
      Old 06-02-2015, 08:33 AM
      RDH
      Racer

LOVE Singer........will eventually get a back date singer style sunday driver
      Old 06-02-2015, 09:42 AM
      ilko
      Agent Orange
      Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyinTomato
      until i saw the singer car in person. I unfollowed singer soon after.
      It's quite interesting that we both came away with the same impression.

I wonder how many Singer fanbois have actually seen one in person...
      Old 06-02-2015, 09:50 AM
      cobalt
      Rennlist Member

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
      Motor trend wrote that my Cayman R will do 0 to 60 in 4.2 seconds, however I don't consider it as 'fast' as my (now sold) Turbo 3.6 where it often counts on the road, which is torque driven overtaking. The Turbo 3.6 is not a drag car, but give it a rolling start and I think it would hold its own against more modern cars.
      I agree the turbo is deceiving and with the minor upgrades I made to mine makes it scary fast. I am seeing 450BHP and 460 Ft pounds of torque with a comfortable 1 bar and HF turbo. As you said these cars are about what happens while in motion more than off the line acceleration. It is not about the power or the handling but the complete package and how it delivers it, you either get it or you don't. Most faster cars I have driven are faster at a price, usually I find the extra HP just spins wheels and goes no place or offer no concept of speed. Just like my cayenne GTS that I find I speed way to much in because 50 feels identical to 90. Numbers are just numbers and being fastest is a loosing battle. I had the opportunity to drive a new Z06 the other day. Nice rocket ship but still is just another overly fast car. There is a connection to the road and experience these older cars offer that very few can emulate and can no longer be produced today. I have had some fun runs with friends with modified 993 & 996TT's and although I have no interest in driving recklessly on the street they were bouncing off their rev limiter and I was barely at 3/4 boost and if I had the desire to push it have no doubt could have passed them but I save that driving for the track. I have kept the 3.6T for one primary reason it is the most unique and exhilarating driving experience I have had from a car. There will always be faster cars but that doesn't make them better the GT4 I have no doubt will be a stunning ride however they are a different technology from a different time and I found that in order to make them as capable as they are they engineered out the thrills unless you are driving triple the limit or drifting the car around some track. Although some of the most recent GT3's are amazing rides and offer a similar experience to these cars some 20 years later.

I would love to drive a Singer one day. IMO if they did their job correctly it should not feel much different than a properly setup 964. From what i read other than looks & modern electrics fancy interior my 290 hp C2 would probably be as nice a ride since I don't care or have need for the modern amenities and or old world styling. If I want that I would drive an early long nose or build my own at half the price.

I purchased these cars because of their special place in automotive history and IMO were the pinocle of a time gone by. I never purchased these cars as part of an extension of my personality that must arrive before I do, it is something they have become recently because of all the hype and ridiculous pricing. It is a purists car with a lot of yesterday and today all wrapped up into one.

Originally Posted by BHCfarkas
      How can I "opine" on the merits of either? The same way you literally stroke yourself to everything you own as being "the best."
      I have no doubt by now you think i have it out for you. Believe you me I do not. In fact I make an effort to try to curb what I really want to say when someone like yourself opens their mouth and tries to cram their foot down it. Just like this response to my disbelief in your comment which is so sad. It reminds me of the joke "I remember what it was like when I had my first beer".

Not sure why you seem to have the need to put down everything about these cars and insist that everything else is better. You have a great car you have put a lot of effort into making it what you want but don't base its merits on driving just yours. Might I suggest searching out someone with a 964 set to RS spec or similar. You might actually see there is more the car than just show. I have driven so many of these and just about every other car imaginable and there are a number I would love to own for various reasons but very few worthy of replacing them. None of my cars I would consider a decent daily driver but I have been there and done that and I prefer my Ford Raptor for battling the daily grind. These are now pleasure vehicles weekend warriors or whatever you care to call them.

So do me and yourself a favor and think before you post. I have no doubt if we were to meet in person we would not hate each other but might possible have more in common than you think. Keep an open mind and try to see what others are saying, there is obviously a reason why people are willing to drop the price of a new super car on ancient technology.
      Old 06-03-2015, 09:18 AM
      BHCfarkas
      Racer

I have no doubt by now you think i have it out for you...
      Believe me, I am not worried about you, Anthony.

Not sure why you seem to have the need to put down everything about these cars and insist that everything else is better...
      Nowhere did I put down any car in here. Perhaps I don't sugar coat things enough to be accepted? Sorry if my comments are blunt to you, but I prefer to keep things real.

It's hard to argue an original 3.6T will keep up with a Singer that has been completely designed from the ground up with superior parts over the 3.6T. Lighter weight, stiffer chassis, big motor, and hand-picked parts from the best of the Porsche stockpile to complete the package.

I'm sure if you owned a Singer, none of us would hear the end of it, just like the rest of your sig worthy collection.
      Old 06-04-2015, 11:41 AM
      cobalt
      Rennlist Member

Nowhere did I put down any car in here. Perhaps I don't sugar coat things enough to be accepted? Sorry if my comments are blunt to you, but I prefer to keep things real.
      but it's plain to see a Singer would drive circles around a stock 3.6T. A Singer isn't an afterthought by any means. They put the "best of the best" together in the body of a lightweight and rigid backdated chassis.
      So let me get this straight maybe I am misreading your words. You say your not putting any car down here. Yet in your own words you are dismissing the abilities of a car that you have never driven and by your own admission have no understanding of its capabilities. Not only are you definitively stating that it is "plain to see" that the singer would drive circles around a 3.6T but that somehow it is built from inferior products. So that is not a form of a put down? I still have to laugh.

I have repeated comments by you about how a 964 is "not an impressive car to drive" you compare cars you have never driven and decide based on some slick marketing that one is superior to the other. What are you basing your opinion on? If we had a comparison of the two side by side it may prove me wrong. Although a better driving experience is not necessarily something that can be based on numbers. Each of us have varying reasons why we like or dislike these cars and what I may prefer might be completely different than someone else.

It's hard to argue an original 3.6T will keep up with a Singer that has been completely designed from the ground up with superior parts over the 3.6T. Lighter weight, stiffer chassis, big motor, and hand-picked parts from the best of the Porsche stockpile to complete the package.
      Now not only is the Singer superior but the 3.6T will struggle to keep up apparently no matter how it is configured without any side by side comparison it should be based on your words apparently clear to everyone. Best yet because they use newer products they are better. I find that most laughable of all. I spent 30 years in manufacturing and I find most new products are built like crap. Quality has been on a steady decrease and very little is built to last today. Even the new parts manufactured by Porsche classic I find are lacking in the quality of the same parts built in the 80's and 90's.

I'm sure if you owned a Singer, none of us would hear the end of it, just like the rest of your sig worthy collection.
      I can tell you this I have no interest in ever owning a singer. I am sure they are nice for people that buy them to be seen in. I have no doubt they are a pleasure to drive but offer an experience that is somewhat air-cooled but lacking some of the old school thrills that IMO make these car so much fun to dive despite their shortcomings. I doubt one will ever be used to its fullest potential. If I were to own one I would call it exactly as I see it. I would point out its pros and its cons as I do with everything as I see it. I will also point out if you read my threads I have been pointing out the pros and cons of all of Porsche products including all of my cars. None of them were ever perfect from the factory and require some form of modification or personalization.

I can say if I wanted a car like a singer I would build my own for a fraction of the cost but I see no need to make something that was already close to perfection for what it was into something it was not intended to be.

You can build these cars into many things I am building my dream track car which started out more 3.8RS clone but has morphed into a 3.8 RSR clone. To me this is the ultimate air cooled fun to others I am sure it is not. However with all the mods and work I have done taking a 964 to this level I would never make a statement that it is a GT3RS killer or run circles around 991Turbo S despite my power to weight ratio being superior and suspension that offers no computer aids but true race car capabilities. If I spend time on the track side by side with a skilled driver and I better their times I might say it has the capability to be faster but would not go as far as saying it runs rings around. I might go out on a limb by saying this car should easily outperform my 3.6T on a track and more than likely a singer fully gussied up as well but then I have no doubt you would say I was glorifying another thing I own.

Believe what you may but your words are clear to me and I see your need to bash these cars despite your owning one.
      Attached Images  
      Old 06-04-2015, 02:13 PM
      Jjm4life
      Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
      Default Singer vs. 3.6 turbo

I'll take a singer please. But instead of backdating a 964, can I get the fancy CF bodywork but in 964T look? I'll take the Cossie built 3.8 and 993 trans with a guards lsd, skip the interior work ( as nice as it seems) and call it a day. My current brake/suspension setup will be just fine for that combination.

Take off a 100 lbs+ of body weight, plus an extra 50 or so n/a hp
      Yes, that sounds wonderful. I want that.
      Old 06-04-2015, 03:25 PM
      porsche mania
      Pro

Originally Posted by Jjm4life

That's it right there, it's not the singer I really want it's the carbon body and the rest of the numbers that go with it. Sounds like a perfect 911 to me!
      Old 06-04-2015, 03:51 PM
      cobalt
      Rennlist Member

I'll take a singer please. But instead of backdating a 964, can I get the fancy CF bodywork but in 964T look? I'll take the Cossie built 3.8 and 993 trans with a guards lsd, skip the interior work ( as nice as it seems) and call it a day. My current brake/suspension setup will be just fine for that combination.

If the CF saved 100 pounds it would be great but the fenders and other parts aren't all that heavy in steel The hood is the heaviest and their doors are stock. No matter what you do in order to make CF look metal finish when painted you add a ton of weight in bondo and resin to prevent the weave from showing in the paint and then once it sits in the sun it eventually shows up anyhow. Best solution is aluminum. Both light and looks better painted.
      Old 06-04-2015, 07:21 PM
      Jjm4life
      Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
      Default Singer vs. 3.6 turbo

^^^ valid points for sure, but I'm not worried about paint. My car is black. I've seen some very tastefully painted cf parts that do I nice job of blending the weave with painted panels. Almost like a ghost affect. Bugatti paint looks awesome In person for example. Either way, the idea of getting a few more lbs off the car without sacrificing any comfort is very appealing. I'd love for my car to be 2300lbs and 350hp ( shouldn't be an issue power wise). The power/weight ratio
      Is a bigger deal to me than out and out power. Makes me list my lotus(s).. Sub 2100lbs and over 300hp.
      It's a pipe dream anyway. Not like singer is gonna build my car.

Back to the regularly scheduled bickering....
      Old 06-04-2015, 08:44 PM
      Mixter
      Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Back to the regularly scheduled bickering....
      Yes, I find it quite entertaining and educational. The efforts that these gentlemen will go to rationalize their own or discredit the others opinion is really just the paradox of their passionate predisposition.

Like your idea of a 964T look with Singer build quality.

Search this Thread
      Quick Reply: Singer vs. 3.6 turbo