Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Magnus Walker's 964 barn find (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/863587-magnus-walkers-964-barn-find.html)

tcsracing1 03-19-2015 07:29 PM

it is hilarious how some folks are disturbed by the whole Magnus Walker thing...Long hood owners all bent out of shape like he stealing their thunder or something lol :roflmao:

s4magman 03-19-2015 07:47 PM

I can't wait to see a 964 in MW rendition - outlaw style.

Nobody is forcing anyone to like his style and opinions are like ... everyone has one

GTgears 03-19-2015 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Vegas993 (Post 12133656)
So basically, he's like the Kim Kardashian of the Porsche world. Got it. :thumbup:

I think her arse is too big. I'm glad that magnus doesn't really widen the hips too much. Would ruin the lines of a really beautiful girl. :)

John McM 03-19-2015 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Vegas993 (Post 12133656)
So basically, he's like the Kim Kardashian of the Porsche world. Got it. :thumbup:

I was thinking more like Chip Foose.

I too struggle to see the problem with his work. I don't buy any of the merchandise and I'm not in love with everything he does but I recognise the passion of a long time owner.

We 964 owners of long standing have had muck thrown at us for years for our passion. That's changing and I for one love that Singer and now Magnus are giving the cars wider recognition. What I hop we don't lose is the community feel in this forum. Some recent comments about wheel choice etc make me wonder if a different type of owner is coming in.

GTgears 03-19-2015 09:04 PM

I just hope he doesn't put those hideous 911r rear lights on it. I hate those on any 911. Makes it look like a riced out Lexus.

cobalt 03-19-2015 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by GTgears (Post 12133500)
. I see no reason to bag on the guy who is capatilizing on the fact that Porsches suddenly got discovered. He had a vision. He saw it coming. He's cashing in. So what?

Suddenly got discovered? :roflmao:

Vegas993 03-19-2015 09:17 PM

Comparing him to Foose and Singer for drilling door handles and painting his bumpers is a bit of stretch.

hockenheimr 03-19-2015 09:47 PM

Saying that a guy who loves Porsches and sells T-shirts is a sell-out is like saying that a guy who loves Porsches and designs custom performance parts is ALSO a sell-out.

If Magnus is a sell-out, then too are all the guys that make custom and performance parts because they are living off the cow.

Is Al Merrick a sell-out because he sells surf boards?

And is Jake Burton for selling Snowboard?

And Martin Scorsese because he loves to make movies?

I think the haters get the idea....peace!

Mixter 03-19-2015 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Vegas993 (Post 12133990)
bit of stretch.

:roflmao:

GTgears 03-19-2015 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by cobalt (Post 12133977)
Suddenly got discovered? :roflmao:

I thinking a doubling in price of pretty much all air cooled cars over the last 24 months points to a recent discovery by a group of buyers who were not previously into Porsches.

Vegas993 03-19-2015 10:44 PM

You guys crack me up. So which is he, a capitalist or a down to earth Porsche lover that made his money elsewhere and just does it for the love of the brand? It makes no difference to me but lets call a spade a spade. If he were just a rich guy that happens to love Porsches then why does he have a website selling $25 T shirts and $69 hot wheels?

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with him for that, you guys are the ones buying them, lol.

GTgears 03-19-2015 11:04 PM

I'm not buying that stuff. I'm selling him parts. I'm a sell out as described above. I'm selling out to Singer too. :)

tcsracing1 03-19-2015 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Vegas993 (Post 12130266)
You can't swing a dead cat in Southern California without hitting someone who builds/restores 911's but for some reason, the world has coined this Brit import as the foremost authority on the subject. In reality, he isn't doing anything different than what many have been doing for decades. That's the part I don't get.

I think you are mistaken in claiming the world has mistakenly coined him as the foremost authority on these old porsches...
He is merely one of many and who has shown what his personal take is on these old cars.
If anything, he shed light onto a culture that many outsiders never knew exisited. He never once claimed he started the trend of hot rodding old 911s...

GTgears 03-19-2015 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by GTgears (Post 12134134)
I thinking a doubling in price of pretty much all air cooled cars over the last 24 months points to a recent discovery by a group of buyers who were not previously into Porsches.

Quoting myself to be sure I'm understood. I think it has NOTHING to do with The Urban Outlaw. He just saw it coming. He didn't make it.

And I don't think he's making that much on it. His films cost a lot of money. His builds cost a lot of money. He's not getting rich off this. It's like that old how do you make a small fortune in racing? You start with a large fortune.

GTgears 03-19-2015 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by tcsracing1 (Post 12134259)
I think you are mistaken in claiming the world has mistakenly coined him as the foremost authority on these old porsches...
He is merely one of many and who has shown what his personal take is on these old cars.
If anything, he shed light onto a culture that many outsiders never knew exisited. He never once claimed he started the trend of hot rodding old 911s...

Exactly.
I'd live to see Magnus and Jack make a movie about the R-Gruppe. And I want the controversial stuff like the unsettled debate of whether it started in SoCal or in the Bay Area. So much cult history of the CA Porsche scene the public diesnt know about.