Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnus Walker's 964 barn find

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 06:20 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 380 Posts

This is ironic considering Rennlist is part of that "social media" thing.

Originally Posted by cobalt
I guess I don't get the whole social media like dislike approach to things. I find it such a waste of time. If you can't interact the way we do here than what is the point other than to build hype? Particularly what you have done with your car shows me more imagination and passion.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:28 PM
beetle08
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Werd! Magnus is a stand up guy who lives and breathes Porsche. More power to him and we need more like him to keep this hobby alive.

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
Ditto. All the haters out there really don't know or have not met Magnus. He's one of the most authentic and genuine Porschephiles you could ever meet. If only every Porsche owner/driver was like him, the Porsche and car enthusiast world would be a better place.

Like someone else said, he made his f*&k-you money selling his clothing business. The Porsche stuff is just a passion that happens to make him some bucks and provides a lot of celebrity as a consequence. He never claimed to be the end-all be-all of Porsches and hotrodding. It cracks me up that he garners all of this hate because he loves the marque so much and is passionate about cars. He's doing what all of us would love to do and ironically, he gets slammed for it. Crazy shizzle.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:36 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

Old 04-28-2015, 08:09 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
Ditto. All the haters out there really don't know or have not met Magnus. He's one of the most authentic and genuine Porschephiles you could ever meet. If only every Porsche owner/driver was like him, the Porsche and car enthusiast world would be a better place.

Like someone else said, he made his f*&k-you money selling his clothing business. The Porsche stuff is just a passion that happens to make him some bucks and provides a lot of celebrity as a consequence. He never claimed to be the end-all be-all of Porsches and hotrodding. It cracks me up that he garners all of this hate because he loves the marque so much and is passionate about cars. He's doing what all of us would love to do and ironically, he gets slammed for it. Crazy shizzle.
Agreed. We had a very, very large L9O meet at the Ace Cafe Porsche night that Magnus attended with all our 964s. He was in town and wanted to say hi, so we organised it.

There was press there from Speedhunters, Porsche etc, etc, etc... Magnus spent the whole evening chatting to Porsche enthusiasts, barely giving press the attention without being rude to them either.

He was charming, articulate, intelligent and interested in hearing about many modded cars that people were chatting to him about. Spending time looking, learning about their cars. In fact he spent quite a lot of time around V8 converted VW buggy thing...

I spent time chatting to him also, I have nothing but kind words to say about him - as I would do about the great Porsche crowd I spend time with. He's a very regular affable bloke.

It just so happens that he looks unusual, has a great collection of cars he designs (perhaps not builds) and articulates a car philosophy many people identify with.

I have no problem with his social media. Social media exist for so many subjects, this is just another one. Just enjoy him for what he's worth - a nice guy, with nice design ideas and a nice collection he shares with people.

So what if he cashes in on marketing. You don't have to drink the kool aid.

Not sure how that will allow you to fit a 315. I have full turbo body work and narrow trailing arms it is still difficult to fit a 315. Not sure what benefit having such a wide tire without the matching HP and wider track will do for you. My C2 did quite well around the track with a 265 in the rear.
Agreed there is such a thing as over tyre-ing a car... However that's just my opinion.

I have seen so many different approaches to handling dynamics with these 964s, we all have our preferences. Every modded 964 I have seen has a relatively different approach. You build it to your spec and that's the beauty.

I'd say that once you've driven a 996 you've driven them all - most will be the same. The diversity of modding we make, means that every 964 is different... and that's the beauty.

I just happen to identify with performance...

If he is everything everyone says he is please explain why the need for the excessive social media? I just don't see it myself but if that is what everyone enjoys, enjoy it, but I still haven't seen anything he has done that I consider original or that exciting.
Indeed their is nothing original about his cars... hell people have been hot rodding forever. But! It's the combination of different elements about him that make a good story - one that has been 'framed' by a nicely shot short movie etc etc.

That's what branding is, it's framing a combination of seemingly ordinary to make them appear extra ordinary. Take the W9O, we've created a brand out of nothing. The ingredients are nothing special, but the combination of elements and 'framing' makes it something that people actively get involved with.

What's more interesting is that this branding/ framing has a positive effect on the value of his builds... whether branding is worth the money in our own opinion or not is the key (and applicable to products the world over). Clearly it does since his cars sell for crazy silly money... there is a tangible asset. So he builds quality cars and brands them $$$$$$

I for one would buy one of his cars and would pay for the obvious quality, but not the branding.

Recently we sold a 964 that we advertised as a W9O car. It got lots of interest and sold very well indeed, because people knew we wouldn't advertise a crap 964...

Originally Posted by 911Jetta

He's done an amazing and appropriate job on his early cars, that's why this project will be so interesting.
Most importantly, his cars are drivers with mods that are done with style but don't detract from the purpose of the car... to eat up mile after mile of road. All roads, all the time mods. That's something Magnus tends to do... drive his cars.

The guy loves Porsches, and he loves to use them to get out do things and see people. He puts his spin on his cars, and I bet he'd love to see what you come up with too. He brings a lot of people together, and I really appreciate that there's a 911 in the background of that experience.

I love the fact that social media allows us all to share these great experiences.
Perfect.

Moving on, he told me that there won't be drilled door handles and louvers on this one...
Old 04-28-2015, 08:49 PM
ManuFromParis
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ha Ha Ha !!
It was so much fun to read all the hateful and jaleous comments about Magnus' fame and work !

Thank you guys, you made my evening !

Anyway, I can't wait to read more about this topic's real subject : his 964 project !!!
If haters could go away and let stupid fans like me enjoy it for what it is, it would be very cool...
;-)
Old 04-29-2015, 10:05 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

I don't consider rennlist as part of the social media per say. It is a public forum were we discuss pros and cons vs looking for acceptance by likes and dislikes and very little is discussed.

I guess I miss the times when the car was the center of our attention and not a medium someone is using to mold his image around. I see little positive in media sites that only post pictures and everyone is waiting for what comes next. I have been involved in early 911 restorations lately so I look at a lot of these high end restoration shops post detailed pictures of their work. Many times people go crazy over the before and after pictures but all I see the lack of detail that should be there for what is being charged.

I have nothing against him as much as there seem to be so many kool aid drinkers lately that find what he is doing having so much merit. From what I see as a manufacturer of precision parts most of my life I find his work to be not worthy of my attention so I will bow out of any further Magnus conversations.

Sorry I interrupted and please continue ogling his work.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:12 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess I miss the times when the car was the center of our attention and not a medium someone is using to mold his image around. I see little positive in media sites that only post pictures and everyone is waiting for what comes next. I have been involved in early 911 restorations lately so I look at a lot of these high end restoration shops post detailed pictures of their work. Many times people go crazy over the before and after pictures but all I see the lack of detail that should be there for what is being charged.
Nothing has changed Anthony, a world where the car is the centre of attention exists is still spinning perfectly. The world of social media runs parallel and in some instances works to the favour. Their is nothing knew about publicising. What is, is speed and accessibility by all - which means that suddenly even the worst of the worst have a voice...

Don't spend time caring. Take social media with a pinch of salt. That's what most of us here do... neither do we ogle or dislike. Happy casual observants. Cheer up, you come across as bitter.

For the sake of giving social media some saving grace and distracting my mind of today's working day... Social media (specifically Facebook) has proved absolutely pivotal in creating a social community of Porsche 964 drivers for the World 964 Owners.

This is to us a technical forum whilst the W9O is a social community. Social media has allowed us to meet great like minded people, organise track days, mountain tours, discounts, DIY sessions, rebuild crashed cars etc, etc etc through the great will of wonderful people. With the collective chapters amounting to over three hundred 964 owners give or take, social media has worked for us. There is a good side to social media - you just need to find it.

Case in point here is a picture of the European W9O chapters together, over twenty 964s on track for a double header weekend - with thanks to social media.

Anyway back on topic, I look forward to observing what Magnus does.

Cheers,
Attached Images  

Last edited by BLACK-BETTY; 04-29-2015 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:30 AM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hockapedia on Social Media:

'Social Media' is a recent subset of 'The Media' which is a man-made term invented to describe certain behaviors characteristic of the human condition over 1,000s of years.

'Social Media' has proliferated with communication technologies and has allowed us 'the peeps' a growing say in what we think....thus very positive for all of man-kind!

I really like Magnus, but even if you don't like him and you talk about it on social forums like Rennelist this is positive for 'Social Media' in general and actually very positive for him as well. How else can you explain why Justin Beiber is so popular

Just we need to avoid getting emotional to the point where we start insulting other people....which is actually very negative for social media. These are discussion between gentlemen and thus we must always act like gentlemen.

This is how my brain processes things.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:29 AM
ManuFromParis
Advanced

I have nothing against him as much as there seem to be so many kool aid drinkers lately that find what he is doing having so much merit. From what I see as a manufacturer of precision parts most of my life I find his work to be not worthy of my attention so I will bow out of any further Magnus conversations.

Anthony, I hope you did not take my on-purpose provocative comment personally, especially since among rennlist's users, you're obviously one of the most respectful participant and be assured I value this more than anything !

I am certainly not a Magnus groupie, even though I love the way his cars looks and I like the personal style this guy has and I like when he talks about Porsche because I feel passion.

But I'm actually much more impressed by in-depth body, chassis or engine modifications such as I found here on rennlist.

I was just very surprised how this topic became like a witch-hunt about this guy who is just a truly Porsche enthusiast and collector, who indeed takes advantage of his recent fame and popularity.

Who would not ?

But what is this advantage exactly ? Few tee-shirts and stickers, fame ?

I think the opportunity to design wheels is amazing, even though I wouldn't buy them (I prefer the Fuchs mk2)
This business will likely not get him much money, but if it does, good for him ! At least it got him a bunch of wheels to fit his cars and gets them a more personal touch. Again, good for him !
The fact that his fame made it possible is, I think, a very good thing and I'm happy for him.

Maybe he'll sell parts in the future, specially designed, and that would be great as well !

This reminds me of the Roland Sand success story. It's now a bit stretched from where it was 5 or 6 years ago but it's a success and the parts and projects still look amazing to me, so I'm happy and I want to see more !

Last edited by ManuFromParis; 04-30-2015 at 04:45 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:57 AM
ManuFromParis
Advanced

Old 04-30-2015, 06:52 AM
Redcoat
Instructor

Originally Posted by 964matt
I nearly choked laughing at Welded chrome chain steering wheel! Hilarious comment.
I've watched/read everything Magnus Walker related not as a fan of his but because of our common interest in porsche plus he's a Brit who used to live 45 minutes up the M1 from me plus like me he worked in fashion retail. So many points of interest for me although he is a bit older than me and I don't really share the interest in the models of 911 he owns ( I think because of my age my interest is polarised on 964/993 IB models and older are too old for me) With regards his builds, well they are ok but nothing new. Louvres I like, multi coloured paint? Once maybe, rear lights ? Hideous, his wheels I like along with some of his fabrics on interiors.
I look forward to seeing his 964 the same way I look forward to new members here and seeing what they have done to there 964s.
I think if I'm really honest I read about Magnus and I'm envious of the guy, certainly the aspects of his life we are shown through his marketing (that's not a criticism) I want a collection of 964s I can spec and build then go talk about them and have companies desperate to give me money for an association but unfortunately I'm not brave enough to walk away from my business. And that I think is the point it's not what he does it's the fact that his life seems to be on his terms and all fun a lucky b#####d if you will. I like Magnus a lot I won't be buying a t shirt but I look forward to seeing his 964 progress with the same anticipation I have for anyone else's here or anywhere else, and I hope he doesn't beat me to the welded chain steering wheel!
The most sensible thing I've read over 9 pages: balanced, honest and open.
Have a virtual snack on me Sir.

As the gentleman from Paris infers - Peace.
After all they're just cars and Magnus is just a car bloke.

Cheers, Whatty.
An Ex-Redcoat.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:09 AM
ACSGP
Pro

Well, the ONE thing I hope MW does is to build a beautiful 18" Cup 1 wheel, forged, lightweight but looking stock. ET for the various models should be perfect for both NB and WB. Less than 20 lbs for a a 10" width.

Now that would be really cool.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:16 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACK-BETTY
Nothing has changed Anthony, a world where the car is the centre of attention exists is still spinning perfectly. The world of social media runs parallel and in some instances works to the favour. Their is nothing knew about publicising. What is, is speed and accessibility by all - which means that suddenly even the worst of the worst have a voice...
I said I wouldn't speak out about this anymore but I lied. Your words say it all and as much as I have my opinions they be better off in off topic under its own heading. But sadly as I agree that the pros can be huge the cons seem to far outweigh negating their value and social media is IMO quickly destroying societies fiber. I have been here long enough to remember the days when he would have been mocked for playing dress up instead of praised. I guess this is called progress.

Might as well see what he comes up with and what others here think until he moves onto the next flavor. I will try to keep my opinions to myself.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:54 AM
Jupiterfish
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I think he is a minor part of why prices have gone up for certain models....his "fame" attracts alot of people to buying porsches that probably never would....
Old 04-30-2015, 05:48 PM
GilesHanna
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ACSGP
Well, the ONE thing I hope MW does is to build a beautiful 18" Cup 1 wheel, forged, lightweight but looking stock. ET for the various models should be perfect for both NB and WB. Less than 20 lbs for a a 10" width.

Now that would be really cool.
Brian from Rotiform already has.
Been sold and now somewhere in the baltics iirc.

Quick Reply: Magnus Walker's 964 barn find