Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnus Walker's 964 barn find

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 04:41 PM
azander
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not a fan of the way he drives and what he, in a way, promotes through bragging. This is based on videos online. How does he still have a license? Very selfish road user.

I like his styling, but it's nothing new. I bet this 964 will be a RS clone, stripes, and 'his' wheels.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:55 PM
etom
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Watch his TED talk. He did not exactly seek wealth and fame as much has he stumbled into it in a kind of humble, eccentric way. To see him as some kind of calculating attention-ho is just dumb.

He enjoys doing what he does; he uses his success to live a life that he finds interesting and gives him passion. Sure, its fun to put him down, but such charges rings empty, fall flaccid, and suggest dread-envy .

It is natural that he has moved on to the 964, since he has mastered and collected all old school 911s.

Last edited by etom; 03-20-2015 at 04:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-20-2015, 05:57 PM
August West
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I can appreciate his sensibilities and don't think any of the attention has gone to his head. He's passionate about Porsches...you can't knock him for that! I'd have one of his cars way before I'd touch an RWB build.

The outlaw wheels, on the other hand, do nothing for me. I look at them and all I see is coathangers.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:01 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

I would agree that he never had any intentions of Porsche fame. I suspect the light bulb went on when he realized how many nutswingers there were on the internet that thought he was awesome. So why not build a brand around it since he already had the resources and experience to do so from his clothing business. Clearly there is nothing wrong with that and if there were no demand, there would be no supply.

I'd rather spend my money on my car than a T-shirt with a picture of his on it, there's nothing wrong with that either.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:03 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by azander
I'm not a fan of the way he drives and what he, in a way, promotes through bragging. This is based on videos online. How does he still have a license? Very selfish road user.
He owns a production company. He gets roads closed. A lot of it is for your viewing pleasure. I bet you hate the Fast and Furious franchise too?
Old 03-20-2015, 07:06 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by August West

The outlaw wheels, on the other hand, do nothing for me. I look at them and all I see is coathangers.
I've said this elsewhere. I think his wheels basically looks like 914 Fuchs converted to the classic 5 petal design instead of 4, for the number of bolts.

BTW, for those who don't know, he is also buying 914s and 931s. I wouldn't be surprised to see 968s and 928s enter his garage as well.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:14 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no problem with Magnus. I for one am interested to see what he comes up with re the 964. I only like his wheels in black. Maybe if he did it in white with black wheels it could be sweet. Maybe i'll pick up an idea or two. His videos are entertaining. If he makes a few bucks from marketing... Good for him.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:23 PM
OW991
AutoX

Default Magnus Walker 964..

I really can't wait to see the final product..
Old 03-21-2015, 02:07 AM
azander
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
He owns a production company. He gets roads closed. A lot of it is for your viewing pleasure. I bet you hate the Fast and Furious franchise too?
I'm referring to the one of him racing around the LA freeways before UO. Does he close down the bridge for his so-called "100 mph" runs?

I'm curious to see how popular the 964 becomes now... jeez
Old 03-21-2015, 03:34 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I see this 964 getting his muticolor scheme, louvers, door handles, funky seats, Prototypo or cup steering wheel, his wheels, 3.8L, lowered suspension, exhaust, RS door panels, rear seat delete.

In terms of 964 customs, we have all seen slammed cars on BBS or Rotiforms, we have seen RS clones, back dates and track only cars.

Id say he will have a mix of all the trends that suits his taste.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:42 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm still waiting for a multi-color paint job, gold wire wheels and a welded chrome chain steering wheel on a slammed 964......
Old 03-22-2015, 04:38 PM
eeterp
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL @ all the hate
Old 03-22-2015, 05:26 PM
Shamus964
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eeterp
LOL @ all the hate
+964 it's truly a sight to see
Old 03-22-2015, 05:57 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

I've said this elsewhere. I think his wheels basically looks like 914 Fuchs converted to the classic 5 petal design instead of 4, for the number of bolts.
Like these: I made custom 911 center caps to go with the alloy and polished the entire face and body colored the other areas. I always hated the cheap center caps these came with. These were a nice wheel.

BTW, for those who don't know, he is also buying 914s and 931s. I wouldn't be surprised to see 968s and 928s enter his garage as well.
Yep worthy of attention it took years for the 914 to become considered a Porsche by the die hard 911 owner and the battle between the 928 and 911 guys still lingers today. Should be interesting to see what the other forums have to say. I honestly have no doubt having a chat with him would be an inspirational experience. Although I always found the inspiration of the true enthusiasts that participate in these forums for so many years have so much more to offer me.
Attached Images  
Old 03-22-2015, 06:27 PM
964matt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Earlydays
I'm still waiting for a multi-color paint job, gold wire wheels and a welded chrome chain steering wheel on a slammed 964......
I nearly choked laughing at Welded chrome chain steering wheel! Hilarious comment.
I've watched/read everything Magnus Walker related not as a fan of his but because of our common interest in porsche plus he's a Brit who used to live 45 minutes up the M1 from me plus like me he worked in fashion retail. So many points of interest for me although he is a bit older than me and I don't really share the interest in the models of 911 he owns ( I think because of my age my interest is polarised on 964/993 IB models and older are too old for me) With regards his builds, well they are ok but nothing new. Louvres I like, multi coloured paint? Once maybe, rear lights ? Hideous, his wheels I like along with some of his fabrics on interiors.
I look forward to seeing his 964 the same way I look forward to new members here and seeing what they have done to there 964s.
I think if I'm really honest I read about Magnus and I'm envious of the guy, certainly the aspects of his life we are shown through his marketing (that's not a criticism) I want a collection of 964s I can spec and build then go talk about them and have companies desperate to give me money for an association but unfortunately I'm not brave enough to walk away from my business. And that I think is the point it's not what he does it's the fact that his life seems to be on his terms and all fun a lucky b#####d if you will. I like Magnus a lot I won't be buying a t shirt but I look forward to seeing his 964 progress with the same anticipation I have for anyone else's here or anywhere else, and I hope he doesn't beat me to the welded chain steering wheel!

Quick Reply: Magnus Walker's 964 barn find