Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine bay - let there be light !!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 12:14 AM
hepkat63
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine bay - let there be light !!

Whilst I am happy that there is a light in the engine bay, it really doesn't light up very well. yes, I know you can put an LED globe in there, but I figure why put in a globe when you can add extra lights !!

I bought these to use as daytime running lights, but to be honest, they look a little ordinary ...

First thing was to put a bit of tape over the on/off switch:

I then cleaned the area I wanted the lights to go - and they come with pretty good quality 3M mounting tape, so stuck them on.
I took out the existing engine light, then I fed the wire over the existing loom, through the factory holes in the engine cover and pulled them out the existing hole .

LED lights are always a PITA to wire up as they are never consistent. These ones, the white wire is the negative. On the factory light, the dual wire connector is the positive. I joined the two sets of wires together, tinned them with solder, then bent them at a right angle and slid them in the existing connectors. I then pushed the connectors back on to the original light.

And there you have it. These two pictures are taken in complete darkness in the shed. As you can see - heaps better !!

Old 01-24-2015, 12:38 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Nice work! I like this. I have an LED bulb in the stock light assembly and it still doesn't light up much.

Hopefully those LED units hold up to the heat in the engine compartment.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:01 AM
Greg_V
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

too funny. i have those same lights sitting on my bench with the same original intent. Since i always drive with the lights on anyway, they are redundant so my motivation is low. the engine bay may be the ticket. would have hated to wasted $9 on them.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:11 AM
Twood
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adapt another one for the front boot/trunk?
Old 01-24-2015, 06:04 AM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Great idea but I would worry about them being sucked into the engine fan as the heat tends to attack the sticky tape!
Old 01-24-2015, 05:00 PM
hepkat63
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks guys - they work well.

@silvertarga, I did think that myself, but thought what is he worst that can happen - not too much mess . Also, there is a tiny hole at either end of the hard rubber of the surround of the lights, which I guess I should put a very small self taper screw through eventually.

@twood, probably will if I get another set.

@greg_v, hope I"ve motivate you some then

@vandit, don't see why they shouldn't, they are a pretty firm fit and when the engine lid is down they are quite protected, but we shall see
Old 01-24-2023, 08:18 PM
EIEIOJay
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS American Engine Bay Light?

Is there a light within the engine bay of an RS America? And if so, where is it located?

Quick Reply: Engine bay - let there be light !!