Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nose bearing leak

Old 01-02-2015, 12:50 AM
jpar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nose bearing leak

Last year around this time I did a reseal. My engine was really grimy, but never left a drip, so I was really pissed to see that now after all my hard work I've developed a leak big enough to drip. It's coming from the crank area and dripping down the case, so I figured it was the crank seal. I took everything apart and wiped it all down, the next day I came out to see that it isn't the seal. I guess the o-ring on the nose bearing is failing. The only right way to fix this is to split the case, my engine runs fine and that is just not happening right now. I searched around and found that this is pretty common with the early 911 guys, so yesterday I ordered one of these
http://www.mobileporscherepair.com/t...ring-solution/ Hopefully this stops the leak until a rebuild some time in the future. If it doesn't, I guess I'll just live with the leak for now.
Has anyone dealt with this problem or have any thoughts, I would love to hear them.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:21 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Some of the 911 guys have developed various types of rings that go around the #8 bearing behind the pulley that allows them to seal up that joint with RTV or an o-ring.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-leak-fix.html
Old 01-14-2015, 11:59 AM
jpar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I installed the ring last week, I ended up using a good quality oil-resistant silicone instead of the supplied jb weld. The car hasn't run yet but so far no signs of leaking, which was worse when the engine was cold anyway. I have my fingers crossed.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nose bearing leak