Spare tire

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 11:28 AM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu RS
In reply to Dr. Mitch:
Plus, the "regular" spare won't clear Big Red / Black upgrades.

Actually, yes it will, but only if you carry and mount a 1" bolt-on spacer, which I do. Since I was one of the first to mount Big Reds back in the early 90's, it was obvious then that the regular inflatable spare would not directly bolt on. I hit on using a 1" bolt-on spacer and found that that works with my outsize Alcon 332mm front rotor and Big Red caliper. Of course I not only have to carry the spacer with me in the trunk but also five extra steel lug nuts to mount the spacer. But it works and it all fits in the trunk. The spacer lays pretty neatly over the spare when its stowed away.

I've had to deflate my spare a couple of times by pulling the valve stem core but ultimately you'll likely have to find some strapping or bands to pull the tire back into it's original uncompressed form. But it certainly can be done and it can be done repeatedly. Of course once you sufficiently de-compress the spare then you put the valve core back in, but not until then.
Thanks Blu RS!
Do you have a pic of the parts? Where did you get the 1" spacer from?
What doe sthe spare rest against, the spacer or the extra lug nuts? Sorry, brain a little cloudy today!
Old 08-24-2015, 12:45 PM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mitch
Thanks Blu RS!
Do you have a pic of the parts? Where did you get the 1" spacer from?
What doe sthe spare rest against, the spacer or the extra lug nuts? Sorry, brain a little cloudy today!
I think Blu RS was referring to something like this...

Bolts to the hub and then the wheel bolts to the spacer
Old 08-24-2015, 03:00 PM
Blu RS
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default pic of 1" spacer on top of inflatable spare . . . . .

The pic shows the spacer upside down. (Sorry about the lousy cell phone photo) The spacer is precisely like the picture 964George shows above. The bolt studs on the underneath fit neatly into holes in the inflatable spare. The yellowish color in the hole in the center of the spacer is from duct tape on front side that I use to keep the spacer from banging into the spare tire bolt down apparatus underneath. The extra nuts have to go into storage somewhere else like your tool roll. I purchased the 1" spacer from Performance Products years back but they've been bought out. I notice though that FVD has a a 26mm spacer with part number FVD 351 611 26 currently listed for $88.14.
Attached Images  
Old 08-26-2015, 03:04 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! That's a whole lot cheaper than trying to source a turbo spare!

Gotta love Rennlist...

Quick Reply: Spare tire