Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tit-Wagon - 964C2

Old 12-08-2014, 02:51 AM
964tit
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
Talking Tit-Wagon - 964C2

So I've been lurking about in here for over a year. I figured it's probably easier to participate on conversations if you all knew who I was!

...Background... (November 2013)

18 months. Many Cars. 3 PPIs. Three States. One turned out to be crashed and loaded with bog. One was dribbling oil badly and had been painted in the owners garage. One I was a few hours too late to get the deposit down.

I started looking at SCs. Vaguely considered 3.2s. Then started to have a closer look at the 964 and liked what I saw...(and my budget doubled from the beginning of my search). So in the last two months narrowed my search on the 'unloved 911'. I knew I'd missed a few good ones while I was looking at SC's, but ultimately there was three I narrowed it down to.

I finally found this C2 on the Porsche Club Victoria website.

The car itself is 'tired'. The Indie I had do the PPI, Weltmeister, assessed that it is a 'good, solid, original car' it would cost about $10k to get it sweet. So the owner took that into account and we settled on a price I thought was reasonable.

The reason I settled on a 'tired' car was because it seems to me the Carrera 2 is becoming more sought after in the market than the C4. I have no problem with a C4. In fact, I don't consider myself a great driver and the C4 would have been some kind of insurance against ham-fisted technique...The second reason was that most of the things that make it 'tired' were within reach of being fixed...in Matt from Weltmeister's words "All it needs is a birthday"...

With a bit of interstate stuffing-about, the car transferred ownership to me in November 2013. The car then went to another indie in Melbourne, AutoArt, for a top-end rebuild, clutch, fly-wheel and a few other 'house-keeping' things to get it fresh. Getting new tires (thinking Michelins, the shops kept trying to talk me into Pirellis ??). Weltmeister said it didn't really need a top-end rebuild, but the leak-down numbers were between 10-12% and at 240,000km I figured it couldn't hurt while it's in there...it also made the clutch change a lot cheaper!

Priorities for the car were to get it safe, mechanically sound and then getting it closer to standard. Especially that rear spoiler…yuk!

Old 12-08-2014, 02:54 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts

For a "tired" car, looks pretty fine in those pix!!!
Old 12-08-2014, 02:56 AM
964tit
Instructor

I'll drop a few of the updates to the car that have happened over 2013/14....

...Finally collecting the car...

(December 2014)

Turns out the top-end rebuild was a good idea. Two of the rockers were starting to deteriorate badly on the ends that contact with the cam-shaft. The cam shafts were consequently degrading as well. So new ones were installed as well as getting the cam shafts cleaned up. A decent amount of carbon was recovered from the pistons (think five heaped table-spoons). Two of the timing-chain guides were damaged as well, so they were replaced. Obviously the spark plugs were shagged as well. The cylinders were all cleaned and honed. The heads and everything else cleaned up and lots of re-sealing done. New clutch and fly-wheel work a treat, too!

After we collected the car, the next day we went the long-way home (700km drive). Car ran like a (noisy) Swiss watch. The good kind of noises, though. The previous owner kindly left the G-Pipe on the car for me to enjoy.

So far the only defects we can find are the dint in the bonnet and the two internal lights in the ceiling not working. The tires are absolutely fubar too. Even the A/C works now!

The car did need some attention for most of it's bushings as the steering was sort of 'mushy'. I know 911's have a unique front-end feel, but they shouldn't turn in like the car is driving on the beach (yes, I checked the tire pressures). I'm not too worried as I'll work my way through the car with a fine-toothed comb (as long as the bank account permits...).

We forgot to take the DSLR, so crappy phone pics instead...

Last edited by 964tit; 12-08-2014 at 04:12 AM.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:57 AM
964tit
Instructor

Thanks! 250,000km!

Originally Posted by Cuda911
For a "tired" car, looks pretty fine in those pix!!!
Old 12-08-2014, 03:01 AM
964tit
Instructor

...CCU....

(December 2013)

So - like most 964/993 owners, my AC/Heater controls stayed running after the car is stopped and makes strange buzzing noises for about 15 min after the car is turned off. It also sporadically made a squealing noise when running at any setting less than full-blast.

Mercifully, when I had a peek on this site, the first unread topic was someone asking about just this problem...

I ultimately had a look at https://rennlist.com/forums/993-1995-1998/353218-how-to-remove-whirring-sound-from-993-dash.html and thought I'd have a crack at it.

Everything came out just fine (though the harnesses had me worried I was going to damage something, they were jammed in so tightly). I found that the solution in the thread above did not work, so upon closer inspection, it looked like the magnets in the fan were contacting with the internals on the opposite side of the assembly.

So I solved the problem by lightly tapping out the shaft of the fan blades about 0.5mm and the fan appeared to be spinning freely again. There was also still spinning resistance from the magnets - hopefully I haven't pushed them too far away from the coil!

(it's difficult to see in this photo, but I have a pen-mark at the base of the shaft, and you can see a small gap below that - that's how much I shifted the fan on the shaft...)

Anyway...it all went back in and sounds like it's running silently now....hopefully this averts the need to part with $300-ish for a replacement!

Last edited by 964tit; 12-08-2014 at 03:21 AM.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:05 AM
964tit
Instructor

...Clear indicators...

(Feb 2014)

I'll be keeping the original stuff, but for now I thought I'd try out clear indicators. Also got a slightly better condition rear light centre section. These are the easiest light fittings I've ever dismantled on any car..

Gave it a clean...

One of the lenses was a bit cloudy, so I hit it with some toothpaste and elbow grease....slight improvement...

Rear reflector that's not pink!

Last edited by 964tit; 12-08-2014 at 03:21 AM.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:12 AM
964tit
Instructor

...Soiler replacement...

(May 2014)

Operation Wing-Clip - Painting, Motor and spoiler-curtain still required...

And engine cover off to the painter...

Though the painter did a #@$ job. Poorly prepped surface and colour not quite a match, even though I gave them a panel to go off..

Old 12-08-2014, 03:17 AM
964tit
Instructor

...Leaks!...

(June 2014)

The old girl started to leak in that classic 964 location - the lower valve covers. I've got some shiny genuine aluminium ones (post 1991/2) here that i got for a bargain from Rennspeed on eBay.

Luckily I had access to a workshop and hoist. But more importantly, an experienced set of hands.

Things we had to solve:
1. Leaky oil cooler hoses & totally filthy front oil cooler.
2. Leaky lower valve covers
3. Shagged front swaybar drop links
4. Shagged front control arm bushes
5. Replace tie-rods
6. Oil Change

....Oil cooler hoses...

Check out this filth. I only noticed the oil stains after I removed the front drivers side wheel. It looked like it had been leaking far longer than in my ownership. Sort of disappointing that Weltmeister missed this in the PPI. <_<

I never had any issues with cooling or oil pressure though. Indeed, it takes quite a while to get up to temp.

Cleaned the cooler up and replaced the hoses...

...Valve Covers...

Replaced the old magnesium ones with later (1992?) aluminium covers and new gaskets. Hopefully that stops the dripping..

Oil drain plug magnet didn't have much on it....which was nice.

Everything seemed in good order...rocker/valve spacing seemed good.

Fresh Alu covers:

Old 12-08-2014, 03:20 AM
964tit
Instructor

...Suspension work...

(June 2014)

The bushes were the most time consuming - removing the control arm bushes involved a lot of oxy-torch and saw action. Unfortunately the day was running long and my buddy needed to get home so I thought it wasn't appropriate to whip out the camera.

Replaced the drop-links and tie-rods as well. Here's a crappy shot of a new tie-rod going in. Wow! :P

I did wake up in the middle of the night wondering if I'd put the drop links on backwards! Hopefully not!!

...Oil Change etc...

She ate up over 12 litres of Penrite HPR whatever-it-is...20W-60 Uber-Zinc mineral. (Remembering that the oil lines and cooler were totally empty as well).

The car stayed in the shop so that we can drive her up the street for an alignment the following day.

Fingers crossed that all that work means it won't handle like a hobo riding a shopping trolley down a hill anymore...
Old 12-08-2014, 03:23 AM
964tit
Instructor

...Alignment...

(June 2014)

Went for the RS specs and the tech got it pretty close:

Front (L/R)
Camber -1.00 deg / -1deg04min
Caster 4deg31min / 4deg32min
Toe 1.6mm / 1.4mm (2.9mm total)

Rear (L/R)
Camber -1deg21min / -1deg21min
Toe 1.6mm / 1.3mm (2.9mm total)

Looks like my pressures were a little low in the rear, though. So will hit the pump tomorrow 36psi front / 36 psi rear.

Anyway....it feels like someone has released the elephant out of my frunk!

So much lighter up front, and very responsive steering. I think this is the 911 'feel' people talk about. I'm more aware of the rearward centre of gravity and now I can turn with gentle inputs rather than wrestling the steering wheel around.

I think the knackered front drop-link bushes were the most important - those were causing the car to 'fight me' in the roll axis. The other shagged bushings would have also been causing alignment changes under deflection.

So now onto the rear bushes once the piggy-bank recovers!

And here's another shot of her:

Old 12-08-2014, 03:28 AM
964tit
Instructor

...Steering Wheel...

(July 2014)

Obtained a Momo Mod7 in alcantara. Yes - I know, not very original, but it's something I've always lusted after on these cars. I oringlaly had a 930S steering wheel, which is also nice. Though the boss kit was totally different the the Momo.

I had to pull the boss back off to get the horn terminal to make contact....honks good now!

Also got the 'Carrera 2' logo fitted...

Also stuck some yoga mats to the walls to protect my doors...looks ugly, but I'm sure I won't regret it! (You can see the difference in the paint tones in this pic, too. I wonder if some light cutting back of the paint will make the difference?)

Went out for a drive with some mates the next day:

Old 12-08-2014, 03:36 AM
964tit
Instructor

(August 2014)

Made a new friend:

Had a wash:

Old 12-08-2014, 03:38 AM
964tit
Instructor

...Side Skirt Rubbers...

Fixed up the passenger-side weather-strip on the side skirt & finally transferred the rego...

Tips for other players - the front clip is a screw-and-(plastic) nut, not a press-in clip..

Broken vs new press-in clips:

Old 12-08-2014, 03:41 AM
964tit
Instructor

...Out with the local crew...

(Oct 2014)

Old 12-08-2014, 03:44 AM
964tit
Instructor

...Engine Mounts...

(Nov 2014)

I've had a set of wevo engine mounts sitting in the garage since April. They were second hand but only lightly used on a 993.

I had some concerns about how lose the m12 bolts were in the mounting sleeves but decided I'd try them out anyway. Turned out not to be a problem!

Everything I've read about new engine mounts seem to match the experience - shifts are more precise and cornering could be described as 'neater'.

There's still a few bushes left to change, but the car is starting to feel a lot less loosey-goosey...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tit-Wagon - 964C2