Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From Germany with love - 964 Widebody Turbo Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 05:10 PM
Undutched
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

thanks for the info on that! I may choose to remove the A/C then. I can see that plumbing it, really is a pain in the butt!

I am currently working on the fuel system as well, as noted in my other thread.

Any ideas to use 8 or 10 gauge on feed and return lines?
Old 01-10-2015, 08:49 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,929 Likes on 1,168 Posts

Originally Posted by Undutched
thanks for the info on that! I may choose to remove the A/C then. I can see that plumbing it, really is a pain in the butt!

I am currently working on the fuel system as well, as noted in my other thread.

Any ideas to use 8 or 10 gauge on feed and return lines?
You can use the factory turbo lines but not the N/A I am going with a larger gauge race line with SS braided jacket. I believe we discussed 10 gauge but won't be to that stage for at least a few weeks.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:51 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I wouldn't remove AC.... In winter it is easy to forget how hot the summer can be and with windows fully open etc and still hot, it takes half of the driving please away...

It's not that you need to lighten the car to the max, you will have enough hp I suspect
Old 01-12-2015, 05:47 AM
Undutched
Rennlist Member

I did plan on keeping Heat and A/C

I thought of using a webasto heater, haha.

Several threads and products do place the oil cooler in front of the A/C and this is what I am looking at. The kits from FVD, Carnewal are extremely expensive though, hence I'm looking to do it myself.

It is very cold at the moment so I haven't really been able to get back to the garage.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:01 AM
Undutched
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
You can use the factory turbo lines but not the N/A I am going with a larger gauge race line with SS braided jacket. I believe we discussed 10 gauge but won't be to that stage for at least a few weeks.
You have any idea of the part no.? Use 964 3.6 or 993 Turbo lines?

I cant find any billet options, and I cant contact goingsuperfast.com which has a full kit for just 350$, which id like.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:14 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

You have any idea of the part no.? Use 964 3.6 or 993 Turbo lines?

I cant find any billet options, and I cant contact goingsuperfast.com which has a full kit for just 350$, which id like.
I found the cost of the lines was not that bad but the shipping cost more than the lines due to shape and size. My shop buys the braided line in bulk and fabricates the lines to need. Far less expensive than kits or factory parts. By me there are many hydraulic and fuel line shops that will fabricate whatever you need for not much so long as they have the proper connections. many times they can reuse the fittings if they have the proper ferrule to crimp it properly. The two oil lines going to the oil cooler cost me less than half the cost of one line to have the flexible rubber parts replaced.

The 993 IIRC uses a larger line but similar fuel system to the 964. I don't no enough about them to give advice. Maybe someone on the 993 forum can help the only line different on the 993 for the turbo vs the N/A 993 is the return line p/n 993.356.064.07

The 965 still used the old school CIS (K jetronic) mechanical system. In order to have a large volume of continuous flow of fuel required to make the system work they used larger lines and two fuel pumps.

965.356.393.00 Short line from Fuel accumulator
911.110.197.02 Fuel accumulator
965.356.065.01 High pressure line
930.608.113.00 Second fuel pump

Since the 993 appears to use the same fuel pump as the 964 for both turbo and N/A I believe the stock pump is adequate since i have seen 500HP out of the turbos with people using stock fuel lines and pumps. It may be the easier way to go.

If you can buy a kit sounds like it would be the most cost effective approach.

I am still a few weeks out from this part of the project I still don't have all the particulars. I do know we plan on using a single 964 pump with larger flexible lines more for cost savings than anything else but I have already removed the factory fuel lines which are undersized for the amount of fuel I will need under WOT which will be most of the time.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:49 AM
Undutched
Rennlist Member

Anthony,
as usual impeccable knowledge.

I cant use most of the stock items due to trying to go over 500whp and running E85. Over on Pelican there is a helpful build thread.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-e...gement-13.html

Chris says 6AN would be enough
6AN (3/8")....... Those applications were making over 700rwhp and needed it.......

The stock partnumber is not listed to the rails

Old 01-14-2015, 06:19 AM
Undutched
Rennlist Member

I talked to Chris @ Turbokraft and he confirmed that the stock fuel rails are sufficient even for powergoals above 500whp.

He will quote me a complete kit and I will likely use that. I hope it doesnt cost the same as the harness I was quoted
Old 01-14-2015, 09:40 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I talked to Chris @ Turbokraft and he confirmed that the stock fuel rails are sufficient even for powergoals above 500whp.

He will quote me a complete kit and I will likely use that. I hope it doesnt cost the same as the harness I was quoted
Fuel rails should be no issue.

Although if you need replacements I believe the part numbers are as follows

964.110.307.00 (L side)
964.110.308.00 (R side)

The 933 IIRC uses a single assembly which has both rails and the hose crimped together as one piece unlike the 964 which is a series of pieces assembled. Little ways Porsche found to cut costs on the 993 would be my guess.

N/A part number should be

Turbo has 2 part numbers not sure why might be turbo and turbo S but I am guessing.

Porsche has gotten wise to the current market and parts have become prohibitively expensive. I got a quote for the harness for my drivers door it was discounted at over $600. Luckily I found mine. I can only imagine what engine harness costs.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:36 AM
Undutched
Rennlist Member

I wont bother asking for a price from Porsche. They complain that I have the part number, but they only want to do searches with the VIN to make sure it's correct (pfffft)

I will wait and see what Chris quotes me for the complete fuel system (front to back).

I am now also looking at the Rothsport FDM shifter kit and waiting for a quote from Ninemeister about a transmission rebuild with LSD.

Just to add something. This is the header setup. A better version of the 935 header!

A few detailed pictures of each. It will have to be modified slightly to fit on my car.
Attached Images     
Old 01-18-2015, 01:13 PM
Undutched
Rennlist Member

And the work continues!

Next weekend I'll vacuum and try to remove the glue
Attached Images    
Old 01-22-2015, 04:46 AM
Undutched
Rennlist Member

300,000km (180,000miles) and the engine had never been opened. It never got the head gasket either.
It is at a proper Porsche shop, where he said they'll take the engine apart in a day. He says, its been 7 days. Not any screw had been easy to remove. Stuff that should have been torqued to 30nm, could not be removed.

This is the stud bolt top. They had to drill open the stud, and it still would move. They had to somehow cut the top as you see below and it still wouldnt move.
I am just happy I have a set price for the engine disassembly

Old 01-22-2015, 06:47 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^ Eeesh what a job. Thats where continuously removing/refitting/tinkering comes in handy. Everything comes apart as it should do. Thats my excuse anyway
Old 01-22-2015, 09:07 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robt964
^ Eeesh what a job. Thats where continuously removing/refitting/tinkering comes in handy. Everything comes apart as it should do. Thats my excuse anyway

I have no issues taking apart anything on my C2 or turbo but they were always well maintained and garaged. The 90 was a bear. Everything was a fight and struggle. The difference between a well cared for car and a neglected car becomes most apparent when doing jobs like this.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:31 AM
Undutched
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robt964
Certainly it's more fun if everything works smoothly. I had a hard time replacing the oil, the screw was also seized.

Originally Posted by cobalt
I have no issues taking apart anything on my C2 or turbo but they were always well maintained and garaged. The 90 was a bear. Everything was a fight and struggle. The difference between a well cared for car and a neglected car becomes most apparent when doing jobs like this.
I used this car as a base, because it wasn't in pristine condition. This car really does need some TLC though!!!

Any suggestion on electric gas pedal? I'm a bit worried about the torque numbers and want to have some traction control.

Quick Reply: From Germany with love - 964 Widebody Turbo Build