Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to pull the trigger on 94' C2 Coupe Tiptronic - What's a fair value?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 10:52 PM
Derek911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say get what you want, not what you settle on. It is easy to get caught up in the excitement of finding a car and overlook details that you have on your want list... Color, cab, coupe, tip, manual. Even if it takes longer to find, I would wait on the one you want. There is a big difference in driving experience between a tip and manual, which is obvious. Color you can get used to, but the way you interact with the car is a big part of the experience.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:13 AM
Greg_V
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A wise man advised me when I was looking for my 964 to write down all the things I wanted or though I might want in a car. Then sort them into "must have" and "nice to have". Be patient and as long as you get all the "must haves" and a price you are happy with, the rest is gravy.
The following users liked this post:
schroederhc1 (01-11-2024)
Old 12-05-2014, 12:04 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by hockenheimr
I have a 997 Manual and a 964 Tip that I always drive in Manual mode. I've driven a 991 Tip and I actually hated it, was really too smooth.....the 964 Tip has a clunky charm to it. The only thing I don't like about the Tip is the way the shifter looks and I wish someone would make an aftermarket option.
Cover the shift plate with a manual shift boot.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:43 PM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an even better idea then covering the plate....I bought a G50 5 speed from an RS America. If I am going to rebuilt the engine to a 3.8L, and paint the car (Prob Mint Green or Non-Met slate grey), change all the bushings and suspension, then I might as well go all the way!

A lot of my friends think I am crazy, but I think they are crazy to buy brand new boring BMWs/Audis every 3 years.

I don't plan to sell......ever

Also, I go the car for cheap...like really cheap so I can put in the money and still be at market price.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:35 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by hockenheimr
I have an even better idea then covering the plate....I bought a G50 5 speed from an RS America. If I am going to rebuilt the engine to a 3.8L, and paint the car (Prob Mint Green or Non-Met slate grey), change all the bushings and suspension, then I might as well go all the way!

A lot of my friends think I am crazy, but I think they are crazy to buy brand new boring BMWs/Audis every 3 years.

I don't plan to sell......ever

Also, I go the car for cheap...like really cheap so I can put in the money and still be at market price.
Do you have a list of parts for the conversion? If not I have a list that I can share with you.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:13 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Not sure if he is interested in converting it to manual. Although it is not all that difficult. Assuming you can pick up a 5 speed box in good working condition for under $3k all it requires is clutch, drive shafts, pedal cluster, clutch slave cylinder with hydraulic lines and a few other changes. But doable.

My take on the tip is they are OK not my preference. Not unlike the tip in my cayenne it is not always in the right gear so I would shift manually only. Unlike the new PDK system which is smarter and better than the average driver always in the right gear at .1 seconds.

Both IMO take away the "interactive experience" of what these cars are all about but still offers a nice ride and will do what it is intended to do. Do remember the tip is considerably slower than the manual cars unlike the PDK today which is faster.

If the car checks out I don't think you will go wrong with it at the asking price and mileage. Considering it is a rare 94 you could always trade it for a manual later if you don't like the tip..
Old 01-10-2024, 11:04 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 93 Posts
Default 964

I was lucky enough to get this ROW late 1993 production C2 coupe. Was owned by a PhD Porsche engineer then had 520 lbs removed at a performance shop in Europe prior to coming over.

2525 lbs with 1/4 tank, RS stuff, a ton of fun. Next steps - sunroof removal / carbon brakes / lighter seats / short ratio box / 4L motor. Shooting for 2400 lbs and 380 wheel HP.

Last edited by RSRRacer; 01-10-2024 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Add info
The following users liked this post:
TRINITONY (01-11-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 05:49 AM
0luke1
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 152 Posts

I own two ‘94 tips (one for each house). I can no longer drive a MT (left leg), but manually shift the tip. It’s not as much fun as a MT because it’s a 4 speed with different ratios than a MT would have. I have owned MT 996, 997.1 tt, 991.1 and currently have a 991.2 tt PDK. The PDK is the best transmission by far.

My experience with the 964s is that it took me awhile and $$$ to get them dialed in. Count on replacing suspension parts and engine mounts, rubber hoses (oil, brakes and fuel), the several electronic control boxes, various other things, including AC, like any car this old. Make sure you have $10k to spend. But once dialed in, they’re reliable and fun cars to drive. Plus, people love them. I get compliments all the time.

Quick Reply: Ready to pull the trigger on 94' C2 Coupe Tiptronic - What's a fair value?