Sponsored by:

God is a Ferrari guy

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 12:40 PM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondrian
How else would you compress the air if not with a compressor?
Right. Forgive my imprecise wording. All forced air isn't equal and I believe compressed air has risks vs. filtered fan blown air. Regardless, I'm not an expert in the arena, I'm someone that bought a metro vac rather than use my air compressor to blow out my headlight rings, wheels and rear deck lid.

Last edited by Tmistry; 11-02-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:17 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmistry
I thought compressed air was bad only if an air compressor is used, since there may be oil particles or other matter particles in the air stream.

That's why I bought the stupidly expensive 'metro-vac'. It has filters and a heater to essentially blow dry your car with warm, filtered air. It's also great to scare the **** out of your dog.

https://www.metrovacworld.com/Air_Fo...B-3CD/overview
If you have a decent compressor with properly functioning oil/water separator you shouldn't have an issue. Imagine trying to paint a car with foreign matter getting into your air
Old 11-02-2014, 02:41 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmistry
Right. Forgive my imprecise wording. All forced air isn't equal and I believe compressed air has risks vs. filtered fan blown air. Regardless, I'm not an expert in the arena, I'm someone that bought a metro vac rather than use my air compressor to blow out my headlight rings, wheels and rear deck lid.
Just trying to make Sunday a bit more fun I am no expert either just stuff I heard about, your idea of using a hair dryer sounds good as I have no idea what one does with trapped water in difficult to get to places - no way am i going to use cotton buds.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:01 PM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Well I'm no expert, and often I've taken my cars for fast run to clear the remaining water of, but not if the sun is beating down, if it's really hot I'll use a mit or a chamoix leather.
Even if i do go for a quick blast, i always get either of them out to stop the water streaks from marking.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:29 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

If anyone's interested I started a thread in the concours area. There is a quick car washing how-to down the page and a few paint correction pics

https://rennlist.com/forums/concours...tion-pics.html
Old 11-03-2014, 10:00 AM
deutschland-dobson
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can buy quick detailing sprays which break the surface tension of the water molecules, allowing them to sheet off the bodywork.

I would just dry the car carefully by patting with a good quality drying towel (not rubbing back and forth).

Chris
Old 11-03-2014, 10:29 AM
PhatPhlatSix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You said it always happens at the same spot - change your route... or move house!! Simples!
Old 11-03-2014, 10:46 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by deutschland-dobson
You can buy quick detailing sprays which break the surface tension of the water molecules, allowing them to sheet off the bodywork.

I would just dry the car carefully by patting with a good quality drying towel (not rubbing back and forth).

Chris
At what stage would you spray, after wash before drying? Presumably you wouldn't really need one if you have wax that's still active?
Old 11-03-2014, 12:24 PM
deutschland-dobson
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its designed to sheet the water off to help the drying process.

Once the car is washed with clean / de-ionised water (whatever your preference) you spray the drying aid on and then towel dry anything left over.

Wax will most often cause the water to bead, keeping it on the body, so this helps remove the water by breaking the water bond.

Have a look at this (I havent used it, but reviews should be on-line):

http://www.dodojuice.com/time-to-dry...-detailer.html
Old 11-03-2014, 02:22 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PhatPhlatSix
You said it always happens at the same spot - change your route... or move house!! Simples!
Moving house it is, i need a bigger garage anyway
Old 11-03-2014, 02:26 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by deutschland-dobson
Its designed to sheet the water off to help the drying process.

Once the car is washed with clean / de-ionised water (whatever your preference) you spray the drying aid on and then towel dry anything left over.

Wax will most often cause the water to bead, keeping it on the body, so this helps remove the water by breaking the water bond.

Have a look at this (I havent used it, but reviews should be on-line):

http://www.dodojuice.com/time-to-dry...-detailer.html
...and if you let gravity do its thing and sheet the water off beforehand there should only be a little water to dry. This, of course assumes your LSP offers a good degree of hydrophobia

Quick Reply: God is a Ferrari guy