Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hot hot hot ^^^^^
Old 11-20-2014, 05:15 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreamstate
The duck tail look really appeals to me. I might just save that for 5 or so years from now if I need to refresh the look and make it feel new again
It will be more expensive to add one ~5 years from now when attempting to match new paint on ~5 year old paint. The shop will need to blend the new ducktail paint in with other panels (e.g. the tops of the quarter panels and the bumper), which is extra labor and material cost. If you really like the look of the duck, IMO the time to do it is now when you're already having the whole car resprayed.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:37 PM
Dreamstate
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hem
This is the inspiration I'm going after with my GP while '64
Fantastic example. I love it.
How I wish my car came white
Old 11-20-2014, 08:47 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

That gr with the duck is sexy
Old 01-16-2015, 01:18 PM
Dreamstate
Instructor

It's winter and time for some projects that I can take care of in the shelter of my home.

A friend of mine was restoring and modifying an old VW and noted that he searched high and low for a MOMO hub that is a single cast metal piece, instead of the accordion boot that normally comes with the wheel adapter. I thought on this and from that moment on the rubber accordion boot bugged the heck out of me.

Over the Christmas holidays I pulled together my leather scraps left over from earlier projects.

Name:  rnNg3sqh.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  97.2 KB

Next I cut a template for the boot and found a suitable scrap of leather.

Name:  8Ncxn8lh.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  84.9 KB

Cut and glued leather boot left to dry.

Name:  WthRPGfh.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  95.1 KB

While that's drying, time to warm up.

Name:  SF5fCGOh.jpg
Size:  105.2 KB

After the glue dried, I fit the new boot. Only a little trimming needed for a nice snug fit.

Name:  Pl3DUaZh.jpg
Size:  82.7 KB

Name:  cTfpjw2h.jpg
Size:  65.3 KB

Great improvement over the original in my opinion.

Name:  IFOn2tAh.jpg
Size:  87.7 KB

Last edited by Dreamstate; 01-16-2015 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:27 PM
onceover
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Thats brilliant! I may have to copy you
Old 01-16-2015, 01:35 PM
Dreamstate
Instructor

As for making the template, I took measurements of the accordion boot and went to www.templatemaker.nl.
The hub profile isn't a straight cylinder, more of a cone shape. That website allowed me to print and then I just traced it onto a larger bit of card paper.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:49 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreamstate
...Great improvement over the original in my opinion.

Total agree! Very nice.

I know what you mean about Guards Red, very orange at times. But it just looks so classic on a 964. The current GT3, 991 and 997, both look stunning in guards red. It seems as though Guards Red is darker now?

Maybe you can bridge the gap between the two reds when you repaint, go just a little darker than what you currently have? Regardless, a repaint alone is going to make any color look great.

Or contact the guys at BBI and ask them what color they painted Proect Nasty. Just about a perfect Guards Red here:
Old 06-28-2015, 07:39 PM
Dreamstate
Instructor

I got up early yesterday and headed to town for a safety. They didn't like the age of the tires, but let it slide since I had another set at home that will be bolted on after the body work.

Name:  LkNoHxHh.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  74.3 KB

Stopped at for an emissions test. Everything went well and it passed without any close calls. A simple two stage idle test is all that's required for the '89 in my province.

Name:  PxpE4T2h.jpg
Size:  131.8 KB

Parked at Tim Horton's and had a bagel.

Name:  gdatPHNh.jpg
Size:  78.3 KB

It's all a bit surreal still, it's my first Porsche and I'm super excited. I put on about 30kms yesterday without any issues. The alignment is still a bit out of whack since the PO replaced the steering rack, so I'm not getting a complete feel for the car yet. The climate control unit thermostat fan has a whine once in a while, so I'll be pulling that out and greasing it. The power steering made a little noise at the beginning, but quieted down through the morning. A bit of rear bearing noise or possibly a sticky e-brake cable, it died down after a few kms as well. The car has been in storage for around 8-10 years, so it may just need to be run to loosen everything up a bit.

Suspension, alignment and paint to be done in the next 4-5 weeks. I'm expecting the coilovers in the next 3-4 weeks. I'm not in a huge rush for paint since I'll be aligning the shop time with our moving period (bought a house with a garage) so the car is out of the way. Still, I'm super tempted to get it into the paint shop right now and having it a week leading up to the move. It would just get in the way though, so I'll stay patient.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:08 PM
Dreamstate
Instructor

The wife and I are taking possession of our new house at the end of the month. I'm pretty excited because I will finally have a good workspace.

Planning stages underway (couldn't find a good 964 3D model, so the 993 will do)

Old 07-09-2015, 10:48 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Great thread!

Andreas
Old 07-09-2015, 12:00 PM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Pre-midlife crisis. My first Porsche.

Great looking garage space. Nice home for the car. Fwiw, the Peru Red looks great to me on the 964. I like how it's less common. Just me, perhaps.

Have you decided on the paint work?
Old 07-09-2015, 12:08 PM
Dreamstate
Instructor

Thanks!

I really do like the Peru Red, however I will be sticking to Guards. Perhaps when it's time to do a full chassis respray I will go with a different colour, but it would bother me too much right now to know that it's different under the carpets.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:00 PM
Dreamstate
Instructor

I couldn't wait until the paint work later this month, I did a test fit for the Gemballa's yesterday. Purchased from a fellow Rennlister in beautiful refurbished condition. One of my favourite wheels for the 964.

Name:  MlHdyl7h.jpg
Size:  110.6 KB

Name:  33bZz95h.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  114.1 KB

Name:  SOhiqA9h.jpg
Size:  134.2 KB

The front threads were wound nearly all the way down, but the rears could be brought down another inch. If it weren't for the fact I am doing my hybrid coilover/air ride project on it, I would just get the FD lowering collars and maybe a slightly stiffer spring.

Name:  q1B6II0h.jpg
Size:  156.4 KB

So much 4x4

Name:  BE6d2tvh.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  154.4 KB

Name:  VdeURHyh.jpg
Size:  107.5 KB

Fronts are poking a bit past the fenders at this height, hopefully they pull in a bit after lowering the car so they don't make any contact. Perhaps I will need to go a *tad* narrower on the front rubber to make it work. We'll see.

Name:  oj9TCNqh.jpg
Size:  102.3 KB

No to wait patiently for the paint shop appointment.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:34 AM
jotaking
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great thread!

Guards red for me... IMHO Peru Red is too flat and not sporty enough.

Keep it original! I think the respray will make that red "POP" and lift the car totally!

Your car is going to be spoilt in that new garage/workshop, I can see that you already have his 'n' hers and mechanics toilets!

Keep the pics coming!

Cheers

Quick Reply: Pre-midlife crisis. My first Porsche.