Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre-midlife crisis. My first Porsche.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:28 PM
Dreamstate
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an inkling that was the case.
Not too much support online for a 20 year old stereo!
Old 10-21-2014, 04:13 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the find, enjoy the new toy!
Old 10-21-2014, 09:36 PM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

Congrats! I am not sure how tint looks on a red 964 in person, but I hated how it looked on my black one when I bought it...and I couldn't get use to the loss of visibility. It was my first mod... I found a clothing steamer and it came off pretty easy. I think the car looks 100x times better now! Cheers
Old 10-22-2014, 12:50 AM
Derek911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A car without tint is naked.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:20 AM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreamstate
Were CD players a factory option on the 964?
Yep. The option build codes will be on the white label under the front hood:
690 for CD-radio Porsche/Alpine CD-10 option
691 for CD-radio Porsche/Alpine CD-2 option

Mine came with the CD-2 option

Old 11-18-2014, 05:14 PM
Dreamstate
Instructor

The car was pulled out of hiding for a body work estimate this weekend.

Name:  TK3LZ6O.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  230.9 KB

The shop owner was able to tell that it had been resprayed at some point in the past. I could tell that the hood had been done, but the rest was quite well done and it appeared to be original paint to me. Since he was an expert eye, he was able to point out a few things to me that proved it to be a respray. There was no evidence of any damage fixed in the past, so it looks like what I have here is the worst of it.

A need for a full respray of the car was determined, and I'll be taking care of the disassembly before it goes in. We penciled in a spring schedule for the paint work to be done.

Now, I've owned about a half dozen red cars in the past. This isn't because I like red. Honestly, red is pretty far down on my list of favourite colours. And it's because of this that I briefly considered a full colour swap. That is, until I realized the amount of "investment" involved in it. In order to stay in my banker's (ie wife's) good books, I will just be painting it Guards Red. Or will I?

Today I came across a colour that struck me. It's because it's not *that* far off that Guards Red that I will consider it. Peru Red. I enjoy the ketchup-like quality of it

Do you think that I could pull off painting it Peru Red without going to bare shell? Leaving the undercarriage, engine bay and all paint under the carpet in Guards? The door jams and under hood would have to be done of course.

Looking for similar experience and advice!

Peru Red:

Name:  4VzOWVq.png
Views: 31
Size:  874.6 KB

Name:  yxtwmnB.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  174.1 KB
Old 11-18-2014, 05:20 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Randy,

I really like the guards red. The Peru red is nice as well, just does not stand out as well as the guards. Would be nice to see in person before making a decision.

If you need a hand during weekday evenings pulling things apart. I am more than glad to help. I may have a few Saturdays to help as well.

Jeff
Old 11-18-2014, 05:50 PM
Dreamstate
Instructor

Thanks for the offer Jeff.

The garage doesn't leave any room to maneuver around the car, so I have to pull it out in the driveway when working on it. Which means I may only have this weekend to work outside, albeit in a coat and gloves.

If it isn't raining, I will likely be pulling things apart this weekend. Give me a ring if you are up to braving the cold!
Old 11-19-2014, 04:15 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

I am at my dads this weekend working on the power rams for his boat. Want to get it sorted before it goes into storage. We winterized it last month. Just been way to busy to get the small things sorted out.

Its supposed to be in the plus temp this weekend. So hoping you have decent weather to start.

Ps, I have all the Porsche manuals and Adrian Streather Book. This may be needed for your disassembly. You are more than welcome to borrow them.

I know a lot of the removal is common sense....
Old 11-20-2014, 12:40 AM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 1 Post

Great story - the 964 fountain of youth. Love it!

As for the color, I'm one of those that views 964 color changes as kind of sacrilege. Guards red is what your car is. You could change it, but it would just be confused; and would probably have psychological issues for the rest of it's life (which may be very expensive). Especially if you aren't going to go 'all the way'. Kind of like putting makeup and a pink mini-dress on Clint Eastwood - not a happy thought. Don't do it.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:17 AM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

I don't particularly like red either...but if I ever went red it would be the Day-glo color the Ferrari race team used starting in the late 90s.

If I were you, I'd stay the same red, or do a mint green or non-metallic slate grey.....or even that Jerry Seinfeld blue color. They look amazing and they are your only chance of possibly recouping the color change investment if you ever decide to sell.....but I don't think people should ever sell these cars!

If you never sell then it's a no-brainer....go for it as you can amortize it over your life or at least 20 years and it will still be much cheaper then buying the flavor of the year every few years.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:11 PM
Dreamstate
Instructor

After much thought, I'll be keeping the original Guards Red colour. I don't know what I was thinking, having two different colours on the car would bug the heck out of me, even if it wasn't visible!

That said, are there any subtle modifications that I should consider while it's in the body shop? Since I'm new to the 964 world, I may have missed noticing minor visible changes that other owners have done. However, I don't want to go as far as removing the drip rail.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:20 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

chin spoiler......and brake ducts in the front bumper...only upgrades I would do. Possibly a duck tail?
Old 11-20-2014, 03:29 PM
Dreamstate
Instructor

The duck tail look really appeals to me. I might just save that for 5 or so years from now if I need to refresh the look and make it feel new again

The following users liked this post:
RAASpeedster (06-27-2019)
Old 11-20-2014, 04:57 PM
Hem
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreamstate
The duck tail look really appeals to me. I might just save that for 5 or so years from now if I need to refresh the look and make it feel new again
I like that look as well...I've been contemplating doing that. I just did the RS bumper air ducts.

This is the inspiration I'm going after with my GP while '64

Name:  zaGQoUY.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  212.8 KB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pre-midlife crisis. My first Porsche.