Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to know if enough interest in Singer style shift knobs

Old 05-18-2015, 09:15 PM
Poli84
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Streetdaddy
I used an original boot with the top cut off. Then i folded it under and zip tied it before putting the pressure ring in place. I went over the sleeve just a bit. Also make sure to shim the sleeve with a little rubber so there is no play. I also glued my shift **** adaptor because it was making a rattle sound. No problems since in last 5 months.
Thanks mate, I'm going to hunt for an OEM boot and try again, this one is rubbish.
I followed your advice earlier and placed a shim inside the sleeve, sits nice and tight without rattle.
Love using the shifter, just wish I had a better boot application.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:26 AM
Poli84
Instructor

Early concept and would look better with an OEM boot rather than this rubbish one which doesn't fit, but what are thoughts on this concept?

Old 05-19-2015, 04:09 AM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^^^^^^
that looks nice, what exactly is wrong with the boot/gaiter that does not fit?
Old 05-19-2015, 04:49 AM
Poli84
Instructor

Originally Posted by g60pops
^^^^^^^^^
that looks nice, what exactly is wrong with the boot/gaiter that does not fit?
The leather is cheap looking and no where near the quality of OEM but the major problem is that the metal ring which keeps it locked into the centre console is rubbish and flimsy.
It doesn't stay connected and falls down as soon as you shift gears exposing gaps between the leather and the console.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:38 AM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Poli84
The leather is cheap looking and no where near the quality of OEM but the major problem is that the metal ring which keeps it locked into the centre console is rubbish and flimsy.
It doesn't stay connected and falls down as soon as you shift gears exposing gaps between the leather and the console.
There should also be some metal clips to hold it in place, are they present?
Old 05-19-2015, 07:38 AM
GilesHanna
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm still up for doing a version of this.
Has anybody tried doubling up the gaiters?...mentioned earlier?
Put a small sleeve where the normal shift **** frame would be. Perhaps trimmed in leather the pushing the second gaiter tough.
Ultimately covering the first gaiter and tidying the second?

However looking at the image it appears the boot sits high.

In essence would it look like an early mk2 golf.
Pops want to chime?
Old 05-19-2015, 08:07 PM
Poli84
Instructor

There should also be some metal clips to hold it in place, are they present?
Yeah clips are present, there is not enough tension in the metal ring to keep it seated correctly.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:20 AM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

Yeah clips are present, there is not enough tension in the metal ring to keep it seated correctly.
Did the replacement gaiter come with a metal ring frame? As I thought the metal ring frame had to be removed from the original and used with the ebay one?
Old 05-20-2015, 01:56 AM
Poli84
Instructor

Double Post
Old 05-20-2015, 01:58 AM
Poli84
Instructor

Did the replacement gaiter come with a metal ring frame? As I thought the metal ring frame had to be removed from the original and used with the ebay one?
It came with one but is really flimsy.
It's got an obvious and weak join on one side where the metal ring has been looped around which is not obvious on the OEM one. This is the route of the problem I think.
Very thin metal, bends out of shape and the more you adjust, the weaker it becomes.

I've gone back to OEM until I can sort out an OEM boot.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:59 PM
xcoldricex
Racer

Here is mine which I finally got around to installing.
It's a less well made version of Streetdaddy's because of the non OEM boot I used.
Leather looks cheap and the fold is not right.
SD, how did you get your boot fold to look so good without bunching up?

I'm still on the hunt for alternatives, maybe cut the boot even lower and integrate some elastic so it keeps tight around the exposed lower bellows...

did he make it with that shift pattern on top or did you have him carve out an area for a domed sticker?
Old 06-08-2015, 05:33 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

He carves out a place for sticker on top. He makes them custom to your specs. Great guy. He's a dentist by trade but does these for fun.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:47 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by sc
It's been a hellish few weeks of work but wanted to give a quick update on the WC Lathe Werks shifter and hope it provides another option for everyone. I was the first to order and so I received the prototype in rather quick turnaround. Less than 2 weeks.

First off a huge credit goes to LPMM (Laurent) for spearheading the design on this as I think it came out great! It is exactly as I had hoped for as far as overall look, height, and feel. The copolymer feels very smooth and the added engraving gives it enough feel for grip and looks awesome!

Initial fitment has some minor tweaking involved with the length of the set screws and am working with Chris to sort that out. Once final the design will allow to have a bit of adjustment on the overall height.

Aside from the black copolymer WC also offers white, grey, blue, or red as options. Also the engraving can be painted for no additional charge. I opted to keep it plain as I prefer the stealth look of the ****. The quality of the workmanship is really top rate!

Sorry no pics on the car yet but will do so once I get the set screws sorted out and finalized in the next couple weeks.

On to the pics.....

Pretty sweet! Any pics of this installed yet?
Old 06-10-2015, 04:28 AM
Poli84
Instructor

I'll ask again for the new comers to this thread, does anyone have an OEM shift boot in any colour they want to part with?
I need to finish this shifter as I am back using my OEM **** until I can find another boot to sacrifice and I want to use my Corian ****.

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2015, 05:38 AM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'll ask again for the new comers to this thread, does anyone have an OEM shift boot in any colour they want to part with?
I need to finish this shifter as I am back using my OEM **** until I can find another boot to sacrifice and I want to use my Corian ****.

Thanks!
Hi Poli84,

I'll nip down to the trimmers today and see what they have done with my old one, it's Linen Leather (Cream) in very good condition if that's any good?

You can have it if it's still there.

I'll let you know later.

Cheers,
Paul

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need to know if enough interest in Singer style shift knobs