Sponsored by:

Need to know if enough interest in Singer style shift knobs

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 11:51 AM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Poli84,

I have the OEM Shift boot complete for you form my car. If you PM me with your address I'll post it for you.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 06-27-2015, 02:27 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by GBX
Pretty sweet! Any pics of this installed yet?
Still not installed??? trying to decide between this one and Function First. Seems like the function first sleeve will fit better over the own shifter since the cutout is oval shape and not circular like the WC Lathe Werks seems to be. Is that the case?

PS - anyone working on a plastic molded plate to go at the bottom of the rubber shift boot to seal off that area, a la Singer?

Last edited by GBX; 06-27-2015 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:52 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi,

Here's the black ebony shift **** to the measurements and spec I gave him and Streetdaddy's steel shaft (thanks Bud) installed in my re-trimmed interior.

I've left plenty of leather on the boot for a reason, in case I change to another shifter. We'll see how this goes first.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 01-13-2016, 04:53 PM
k9doog
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still working on my interior, but this is how it looks so far with Street Daddy stainless steel sleeve and Manuel 917 shift **** replica.
Attached Images   
Old 11-20-2018, 07:10 PM
NBL
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I am doing a tip to manual conversion and have purchased the shift **** off Elihu. Happy with the ****, but I want the singer rubber boot set up also.

I am pretty certain that Singer uses the standard 964 rubber boot/bellows part number 99342413900 and trims off the lower rubber flat section, leaving only 4 bellows showing above the mounting plate, and one bellow below the mounting plate to hold the bellows in place.

I've held the bellows in my hand and looked at every available Singer photo I can find and they are identical. The only difference is that in a normal 964 the bellows are not visible as the leather boot sits on top, and the shifter is a flat bar, whereas with Singer the round shifter shaft is pushed through the rectangle hole at the top of the rubber bellows. Look closely at the singer photos and you can see how the rectangle hole ion the bellows is slightly distorted by the round shifter shaft. I'm pretty certain these are the rubber bellows Singer are using.

The mounting plate that holds the bellows is a little harder. I think they have taken two of the scoops used under the handbrake, cut the round end of both of them and made a mold out of it to form the mounting plate for the rubber bellows. Then cut a hole in the mounting plate that comes off the mold, and inserted the rubber bellows showing only 4 "kinks" of the bellows. Job done.

Now I have to make it work......

Old 11-20-2018, 09:58 PM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

link : SWINE ELEVEN REBOOT 964 993 SHIFT BOOT TRIM PANEL

I produced a panel to allow the exposed boot look for a factory console (and as a result spent far too long looking at this potion of the car). I haven't looked up close at a Singer recently but believe that they're flipping the boot inside out and cutting the large block out, then stretching the shift bellow around the ****. The reason only 4 of the ribs are showing is the panel is still held at the bottom, but the console is lover than factory and their panel is more flat as a result. The key then becomes making sure the shaft below the shifter is just long enough to reach the bellow in a raised position while still covering the flat portion of the shifter.

Swine11 ReBoot - 964 / 993 Shift Boot Trim Panel

2004 996 GT3 | 1986 Carrera 3.2 (future Keen Project) | 2016 Cayenne Diesel

Old 11-21-2018, 08:09 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed one of onelove’s cup/ boot pieces. Looks great but doesn’t work with the Function First shift **** like i thought. The boot can’t be stretched upward very far before it starts distorting with use. The FF shaft doesn’t go down far enough to be able to pull the boot over the lowest part. So i guess i will wait for a different shaft and then sell the FF.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:21 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 192 Posts

Bumping this old thread. Did anyone ever come up with a Singer style shift **** like this one picture on SwineElevens website?

Old 02-26-2020, 11:42 PM
Vancleef
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not contact the company that makes the singer shift ****? During 2019 they had a 964 category that showcased the Singer interior, but it seems they no longer have it listed. You can always do a custom **** though. I think Singer uses the Contour **** in gloss black and gate 5 engraving, but the adapter I have no idea about. https://www.raceseng.com/products/shift-*****
Old 02-27-2020, 01:29 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancleef
Why not contact the company that makes the singer shift ****? During 2019 they had a 964 category that showcased the Singer interior, but it seems they no longer have it listed. You can always do a custom **** though. I think Singer uses the Contour **** in gloss black and gate 5 engraving, but the adapter I have no idea about. https://www.raceseng.com/products/shift-*****
The adapter Jarrett was recommending was the same as the one featured on the 996/997/986/987 page, but he then realized that the 964 shift rod was slightly different. His concern was that the 964 does not have the groove at the top of the shifter for the set screw to dig into, so he removed the 964/993 category from his website. I still think it may fit the 964 however it seems to be designed for using a leather boot, not sure how it would look with just the rubber bellows.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:59 PM
jonathant
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 986/996 adapter works

The raceseng 986/996 adapter works just fine but you will want to add a little divot to each side of the 964 shifter where the set screws clamp. That will give the set screws the extra purchase they need to stay set. Only takes a second with hand drill or dremel and is entirely invisible. Their ***** are intended for use with a leather boot though; don’t think it will look right with just the rubber gaiter.

source: direct experience
Old 02-27-2020, 03:32 PM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Requests for this died down once FD and others came out with their complete shifters, but we've had a number requests for this one creep back up this week. I've got a few stock shifters here and will take a deep dive and see if I can't get a solution done for those with stock and RS Shifters.
The following 2 users liked this post by onelove:
BLACK3.2 (02-27-2020), HiWind (07-16-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 08:56 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by onelove
Requests for this died down once FD and others came out with their complete shifters, but we've had a number requests for this one creep back up this week. I've got a few stock shifters here and will take a deep dive and see if I can't get a solution done for those with stock and RS Shifters.
Thanks One Love! I think the one you mocked up with the 901 style shift **** looks best.
Especially when using your shift boot trim and the rubber bellow. I'm using the RS shifter.
Which is a tad taller than the stock shifter. I'm sure you know this already...

Update:
I took a look at FD motorsports design. Looks like they weld their shift **** to a RS shifter.
You could always do a core exchange with people and do the same thing. Instead of creating a sleeve to go over the
rectangular stock shaft. Just a thought. Thanks again!

Old 02-29-2020, 10:38 AM
964Lovac
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I for one really like the shifter that was posted from your site a while back.
Having a C4 limits my choices (rothsport's look is perfect but a no-go for me)
That said, my limiting factor with FD was price, but I'd be interested to see how much you'd sell these for?
Old 07-16-2020, 06:56 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

@onelove - I'm in for a kit with the base, the boot and the rod and 6 SIX speed shift **** (delrin or anything non metallic/temp to touch problematic - shipping to FL34249 - mail me if you can help
thanks!
Matt

Quick Reply: Need to know if enough interest in Singer style shift knobs