Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

ca c'est bon!
Old 01-21-2015, 02:45 PM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LPMM
Back in December, I asked Chris to put the top set screws in the threaded area so that they could be hidden under the collar, however he mentioned that there was not enough material to do so. We got a little side tracked and after all the back and forth, we finally came up with a compromise where 4 smaller set screws would be used instead of 2 larger ones for the top portion. This way, they can then be hidden in the threads under the collar and provide enough clamping force to keep things secured. More importantly, Chris is comfortable with this design.

So, we are back in business baby! I sent all my measurements to Chris and I am awaiting confirmation and pricing.
Nice!
Old 02-06-2015, 07:22 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by LPMM
Back in December, I asked Chris to put the top set screws in the threaded area so that they could be hidden under the collar, however he mentioned that there was not enough material to do so. We got a little side tracked and after all the back and forth, we finally came up with a compromise where 4 smaller set screws would be used instead of 2 larger ones for the top portion. This way, they can then be hidden in the threads under the collar and provide enough clamping force to keep things secured. More importantly, Chris is comfortable with this design.

So, we are back in business baby! I sent all my measurements to Chris and I am awaiting confirmation and pricing.
Nearly 3 weeks ago, I modified Chris' original drawing, added my measurements, told him I would opt for a shift pattern and groove around the pattern as additional options, and send him the drawing below as confirmation and for pricing info. Today, Chris finally came back with a price of $230 for the whole thing which is slightly higher than his original quote, but he attributes this to "3 months of design time and custom drawings and changes". Really? Deep breaths, deep breaths. Anyway, this seems to be still reasonable for a custom piece and I will most likely place my order.

What do you all think, good with the design/pricing? BTW, he won't do a group buy since he makes everything by hand and considers each piece custom (I can see his point on this).

Last edited by LPMM; 02-06-2015 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:51 PM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks sick. I want one.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:01 PM
Cosmos99
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:12 PM
sc
Racer

Looks and sounds great! I'm in for one for sure! Thx for all the work and persistence.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:20 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome that he agreed to your proposal on the screws, even though it seems he credit that to his research. But at least this was all for something, although its around 50$ more than I thought it would be since usually his sleeves run 40$ for other makes. Having said that I'l most likely be placing an order sometime soon. At least we don't have to rally up a bunch of people for him to produce it.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:30 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mr.Alex
Awesome that he agreed to your proposal on the screws, even though it seems he credit that to his research. But at least this was all for something, although its around 50$ more than I thought it would be since usually his sleeves run 40$ for other makes. Having said that I'l most likely be placing an order sometime soon. At least we don't have to rally up a bunch of people for him to produce it.
I agree with you and for those interested, please contact Chris directly.

Edit: The measurements above will place the **** roughly 1.5" higher than the stock height. You can reduce the length of the stainless piece to get it closer to stock, however I feel that it will take away from the design and not give the intended look. For those using a RS shifter, you can add some length to the stainless sleeve since I believe the RS one is about 1"taller.

Last edited by LPMM; 02-10-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:53 AM
Nylasurf
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Laurent,

Wanted to see if you have an update and a photo of the finished product installed...this looks to be a great solution.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:50 AM
Rainmaker
Advanced

Mine arrived a few weeks ago. I opted for the stainless steel sphere.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:42 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

thanks for the pics ... classy .... fitted pics and driving impression?
Old 02-25-2015, 07:05 PM
onceover
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Spoke with blackforest industries about their GS1 and GS2 *****. They would look into making them available for porsche fitment if there was more interest. Would anyone be interested?

Old 02-25-2015, 07:54 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nylasurf
Laurent,
Wanted to see if you have an update and a photo of the finished product installed...this looks to be a great solution.
I did not order the finish product from Chris but I am working on an alternate solution to eliminate the top threads along with the use of an all black billiards ball for a sphere to give it some weight. Not sure on ETA but I will update accordingly.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:30 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At first I was not against the original design with the set screws being visible, but now I see that its not my taste for it to be so out there on a polished shaft, maybe on a black shaft it would blend a bit more.

His asking price for the redesign was a bit much IMO, I went and got a SSK that I was looking at for a while.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:18 PM
Dreamstate
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onceover
Spoke with blackforest industries about their GS1 and GS2 *****. They would look into making them available for porsche fitment if there was more interest. Would anyone be interested?
The GS1 looks great all black. Any chance the logo can be swapped out with a shift pattern?

Quick Reply: Need to know if enough interest in Singer style shift knobs