Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

found some rubber boots here

http://www.bmracing.com/products/cat...o=1&style=list
Old 12-26-2014, 05:36 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fenixv8
I tried one of those shift boots it was too stiff.and the problem still remains the plastic trim piece
Old 01-02-2015, 06:15 PM
Johannvb
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

I have been following this topic and just stumbled upon a picture in This topic.

Maybe RUF sells what you're looking for?

Singer style shifter...RUF had is first?

Don't know if this helps, but thought it worthwhile to mention it.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:50 AM
GilesHanna
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=Poli84;11825805]Taken from '964 Restomod' FB page, I'm not sure about this application, does not look right when it 1st, 3rd or 5th as per the last photo...
Looks OK when in neutral though.
https://www.facebook.com/964restomod

Hi Guys, I've finally managed to get my console out and mess around with this.
Having looked at the dimensions- particularly when selecting reverse, it's pretty tight in there!!! I have no short shift etc.

I wondered if you guys think it's worth while trying to make a cup....aka singer? NB I don't have much resource to make one...no cad/3d printing.

The reasons why I posted the above, I think it looks ok, albeit if the leather was the same shade..... Have they used 2 bellows on this?

Streetdaddy. Have you taken this as far as you want to?

Cheers Giles
Old 01-04-2015, 08:35 AM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Giles,

No doubt that looks great. I just don't think it's possible without some extensive mods. The shift point is just too low in the console. I am happy with how mine turned out. I will keep up with this thread to see if anyone can come up with a solution, but i am content for the time being.
I did get a new horn button with a polished bezel, so i may get my shift sleeve nickel plated to match.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:53 AM
Rainmaker
Advanced

Laurent,

I ordered a **** from Chris in stainless steel sometime ago but likewise got caught in the holiday rush. I do like your idea of having the **** replaceable and will ask him if he can do the same for mine.

Here's how mine looks like. Inmasked for a 1.5 inch extension as well:

Old 01-04-2015, 11:54 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

A couple days ago, I received a design from Chris which is close to yours. I still have a few outstanding items to ask about before I proceed which are as follow:

Weight of the sphere - Chris quoted 0.64lbs but I suspect it is for the whole thing (sphere+collar+rod). Looking at his thread on NASIOC, the Copolymer spheres come in around 60-70gr. which is a bit light IMO, however I see that he offers brass inserts to add more weight. I will inquire about this option.

Also regarding weight, he has a Hybrid sphere that consists of Copolymer with a Stainless base which comes in around 170gr. I believe. I like this better and this could work by having the stainless base (i.e. collar) painted black to match the Copolymer sphere to achieve the desired look. I am also inquiring about this option and the feasibility of combining it with a brass insert for even more weight. I think that this option along with the added weight of the stainless rod would make for a nice feel.

Last point of contention is the top set screw. Not sure why but it bugs me, I think it kills an otherwise very clean design by having a set screw in the middle of the rod. I asked Chris if he could move the set screw in the top threaded area so that it would be hidden by the collar/sphere, but he mentioned there was not enough material to do so. I hope to find a different solution or perhaps forgo the top set screw, not sure yet and I welcome ideas/comments.

I have a few other outstanding questions and I am crafting an email back to him. I should send it later tonight or tomorrow at the latest.
Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2015, 12:44 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't wait. Are the set screws threaded in from the sides? Or can they be done from the front/facing the front of the car.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:31 PM
Rainmaker
Advanced

Last point of contention is the top set screw. Not sure why but it bugs me, I think it kills an otherwise very clean design by having a set screw in the middle of the rod. I asked Chris if he could move the set screw in the top threaded area so that it would be hidden by the collar/sphere, but he mentioned there was not enough material to do so. I hope to find a different solution or perhaps forgo the top set screw, not sure yet and I welcome ideas/comments.
if you have it moved to the front then you won't see it. My concern is how does he ensure that once you screw on the top, the orientation of the engraving is correct? Not much of a problem if you have a separate gear shift label piece. Mine will be engraved directly into the sphere.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:16 PM
Poli84
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone got an old shift boot they want to sell and don't mind shipping to Australia (at my expense of course).
My local boot fell through.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:27 PM
sc
Racer

Originally Posted by Poli84
Has anyone got an old shift boot they want to sell and don't mind shipping to Australia (at my expense of course).
My local boot fell through.
I've got one in light beige/cream color. PM me and we'll exchange info there. Thx.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:34 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Poli,
I bought a mint black one on ebay for $75 or so. Good luck.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:32 PM
Poli84
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Streetdaddy
Poli,
I bought a mint black one on ebay for $75 or so. Good luck.
Thanks SD.
The lack of a second boot has put a hault to my install. I don't want to hack up my only boot just in case.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:42 AM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Poli84
Thanks SD.
The lack of a second boot has put a hault to my install. I don't want to hack up my only boot just in case.
This guy sell good leather products for 964s with different colour stiches:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FITS-PORSC...item35d22ae8b1
Old 01-07-2015, 10:54 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

My head hurts! Chris and I have been emailing back and forth so much that I feel we are now BFFs and just like any good relationship, we have different views on things. While I am sure Chris is a great engineer/machinist, I get the feeling he has trouble thinking outside the box. On the other hand, I am sure he would tell you that I am way out of the box, perhaps somewhere out there.

So here is where we stand... I think we can get the look easily covered but the two main issues remaining are 1) I am afraid that the **** will be too light in its current form and 2) I do not like the set screws in the middle of the shaft. For the weight issue, I inquired about the optional brass insert he provides for the Subaru ***** however, Chris is hung up on the fact that Subaru ***** are different than Porsche *****. My theory is that the **** does not care which car it goes into since the stainless sleeve will change the Porsche specific rod from a flat one to one where any **** he designs can be screwed on. As for the set screw at the top, Chris proposes to put them on each side to eliminate any rattling and this is a deal breaker for me. Unless we can find a different solution (single set screw facing forward or eliminate the top ones altogether), I can't see myself going through with this project.

For anyone interested or needing extra reading material to fall asleep, the email I will be sending to Chris tomorrow with my explanations and requirements is attached. Feel free to critique and/or add your $0.02. I have spent way too much time on this and I am hoping that this will resolve everything and make my car much faster. or I'll just
Attached Images

Quick Reply: Need to know if enough interest in Singer style shift knobs