Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Now that's what I call a ****

Pault
Old 11-17-2014, 06:12 PM
Poli84
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks fantastic, thanks for posting the photos.
Nice to see the side shots, side by side. I was worried that Elihu's ***** were flatter at the top than the porsche ones but after seeing this, it's clear the Porsche **** also has a flat top (and not rounded).
Old 11-17-2014, 06:23 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Poli84,

Actually the Porsche repro is rounded when the plastic shift insert is in. Since it was the wrong pattern, i took it out and filled it with 2 big washers to give it weight. It is now flat on top. I have an extra shift sticker i Am going to put on there . if anyone wants to buy that one, let me know.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:46 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Neffets,

Any chance you could try one more time? Do you think if you made it a lot deeper( almost straight down) ,it might be able to work? Here is a side view of one of the Singer cars. I appreciate all the time and effort you have put into this project!
Name:  imagejpg1-5.jpg
Views: 3019
Size:  131.4 KB
Old 11-17-2014, 08:28 PM
Poli84
Instructor

Originally Posted by Streetdaddy
Poli84,

Actually the Porsche repro is rounded when the plastic shift insert is in. Since it was the wrong pattern, i took it out and filled it with 2 big washers to give it weight. It is now flat on top. I have an extra shift sticker i Am going to put on there . if anyone wants to buy that one, let me know.
Damn, it is a shame that Elihu's shifters couldn't be round at the top like the Singer...
Old 11-17-2014, 08:31 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

You know, he uses a sticker on top. So, i don't think it's really possible.

Now that i look at the Singer, i think i may like Elihu's better.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:28 PM
Poli84
Instructor

That's good to hear, looking forward to seeing mine in the flesh once it arrives.

How similar is the metal sleeve you are using to the Singer?
Is the diameter smaller than the shaft of the **** like the Singer?
Old 11-17-2014, 11:32 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Looks exactly the same to me. In some pics their's looks chrome, in some ss. Chrome would look out of place in my car.

It was very close to the bottom diameter of the Porsche ****. Looks like Elihu's **** is wider at the base, so the ss shaft will be smaller,ala Singer.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:27 AM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Now that i look at the Singer, i think i may like Elihu's better.
I'm with you on this, Elihu's design is more ergonomic,

Any chance you could try one more time? Do you think if you made it a lot deeper( almost straight down) ,it might be able to work? Here is a side view of one of the Singer cars. I appreciate all the time and effort you have put into this project!
I think this is going to be tough without remodelling the centre console and all that goes with it. The steep rise towards the front of the hole for the gear shift makes it difficult for a deep tray without obstructing the gear throw, particularly for reverse. I'll have another good look at it when I get some time and see what my bodyshop man, John thinks of it.

Cheers,
Paul

Cheers,
Paul
Old 11-18-2014, 10:34 AM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Hi,

Another possible option would be to make a tray with a large enough opening fro gear changes but adapted to suit the 911SC Shift Boot (which is a lot taller) then line the sides of the centre console with a matching trim.

The genuine Porsche 911SC Shift Boot is only $23 so it might be worth a shot.

Name:  911SCShifter-915-Classic-Photo_zps2defd3f0.jpg
Views: 1629
Size:  52.6 KB

And look similar to this :

Name:  IMG00081SCShiftBoot_zps34ba364a.jpg
Views: 1639
Size:  63.6 KB

Cheers,
Paul
Old 11-18-2014, 01:41 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

St. Daddy - is that the corian one? that was super quick! How much does it weigh please and how much were they? Looks super!

But good point re the singer one being round on top too ... wonder if he could do that
and then engrave (shallow) the shift pattern afterwards, then fill it with white paint and clear coat over it? Or are all of Elihu's flat top?
Old 11-20-2014, 06:45 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

I finally had some time to fiddle with this and took my OEM **** and boot off to reveal my shifter. The PO told me he had installed a B&M short shift and I don't know if this is part of the kit but my shifter looks a bit different (drilled) compared to the OEM. Here are my measurements:

Height from top of rubber boot to top of shifter rod = 3.75"
Width of shifter rod = 14mm
Thickness of shifter rod = 6mm
Location of lower hole from top of rubber boot = 12mm

Sorry for mixing metric and imperial but I can't find my metric tape measure. Anyway, I received height measurements from Paul, Streetdaddy, and neffets and they seem to be in line with mine.

IMG_1506 by LPMM66, on Flickr

IMG_1513 copy by LPMM66, on Flickr

I am thinking of going a different route and to forgo the Singer style bellows and custom cup, and to instead do something similar to what Paul Stephens did in Ben's car. I also prefer a rounded **** over the pear shape, for the **** and shaft to be the same thickness, and I wouldn't mind for the shifter to be a little taller than OEM height for comfort but also to reveal more of the SS shaft. From the top of the rubber boot to the top of the OEM leather ****, I currently measure 4.5" so, I am thinking of adding ~1" to that and have my final measurement come in at ~5.5" tall.

That brings me back to Lathewerks... I have been in contact with Chris and I am making progress although it has been a bit tedious since he doesn't believe in calling me and everything is done via email, but we are getting there. Also, work has been hectic so I've not had the time I wanted to devote to this project. Anyway, the good news is that Chris already knows the 911 shifter is flat and has incorporated that feature in designing his 911 ****. My idea is to ask him for a ~3" SS shaft, keyed to the flat shifter, with a set screw at the bottom (hidden by the leather boot), and threads at the top. Then, I am thinking of a copolymer with SS core **** (like his Lexus one but without the ring) and also either a SS or Titanium for the extra weight and for changing the look whenever the mood strikes. I would also have Chris engrave the shift pattern with a ring around it to simulate an insert.

Any additional ideas, thoughts, comments?
Old 11-20-2014, 06:59 PM
sc
Racer

I'm on board with you Laurent. 😊

Appreciate all the legwork!
Old 11-23-2014, 10:15 PM
Poli84
Instructor

Taken from '964 Restomod' FB page, I'm not sure about this application, does not look right when it 1st, 3rd or 5th as per the last photo...
Looks OK when in neutral though.
https://www.facebook.com/964restomod

Quick Reply: Need to know if enough interest in Singer style shift knobs