Sponsored by:

Fan hub fully seated?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 09:42 PM
izeckel
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Fan hub fully seated?

I am in the middle of replacing the fan hub bearing and ran into a snag. I successfully got the new bearing and fan together. I am not sure how to get the assembly fully seated on the alternator shaft. I have it most of the way but it appears to be not fully seated, it appears to be close.

The fan currently moves on the shaft when I push on the blades, it is worse than it was before i started.

Could the fan bearing defective?
Old 10-07-2014, 10:19 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 116 Posts

Did you look at this post:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...y-removal.html

What do you mean by worse than before I started? Photos?
Old 10-07-2014, 10:53 PM
izeckel
Intermediate

The fan is back together just not sure if the bearing and fan are all the way seated on the alternator shaft.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by izeckel; 10-08-2014 at 12:07 AM.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:17 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Can you take a photo of the bearing from the back of the fan? Is the base of the bearing fully against the back?
Old 10-08-2014, 11:11 AM
izeckel
Intermediate

When I look through the back of the fan there is a little, maybe, 1/4" gap.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:46 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Its been a few years since I had to replace my fan bearing but I seem to remember pressing the bearing in fully. Is your fan about a 1/4" off from where you think it should be?
Old 10-08-2014, 01:31 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Install the pulleys and if you get the nut on, cranking that down should seat everything...right?
Old 10-08-2014, 01:34 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Goughary
Install the pulleys and if you get the nut on, cranking that down should seat everything...right?
Not necessarily. The nuts pull on the base of the bearing. If the bearing to fan surface is very tight, I would be hesitant to use the M6 nuts to pull it down. You could try it. I would be afraid of cracking the fan. I would recommend using a press to ensure the bearing is fully inserted into the fan.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:53 PM
izeckel
Intermediate

The bearing and fan came together by heating the fan in the oven and freezing the bearing. It slid all the way onto the fan. When I went to put the fan bearing assembly back on the alternator shaft I had trouble getting it to go on. I ended up tapping it on using the old fan hub bearing but I had trouble getting that back off, used a puller. I am hesitant to use more force to get the fan/ hub bearing to go further down the alternator shaft. All the pulleys go back on as I remember, the large nut on the end will not push them down the shaft...
Old 10-08-2014, 05:20 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're good with tools and have a feel for things, a few wood blocks and dead blow hammer work wonderfully.

This was suggested to me by a reputable source, one we all know, but he knows I have the touch.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:43 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by izeckel
The bearing and fan came together by heating the fan in the oven and freezing the bearing. It slid all the way onto the fan. When I went to put the fan bearing assembly back on the alternator shaft I had trouble getting it to go on. I ended up tapping it on using the old fan hub bearing but I had trouble getting that back off, used a puller. I am hesitant to use more force to get the fan/ hub bearing to go further down the alternator shaft. All the pulleys go back on as I remember, the large nut on the end will not push them down the shaft...
I think that you were Just one step short of success.

After putting the bearing on the fan, I took the whole assembly and put it in the oven, while the alternator was in the freezer!

After conditioning both parts to the desired temperatures, the fan just slid on the shaft. In fact, I was able to remove the fan with a couple of light taps and then reseat it again within a couple of minutes.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:44 PM
izeckel
Intermediate

I think I figured it out. I pulled the bearing/fan combo off the alternator shaft. Cleaned the alternator shaft w/wd40 then I could slid the whole assembly back on with less effort. I measured before and after and it appears all the way seated. It had some corrosion which made the reassembly more difficult and uncertain.

I still have a little wobble when i push on opposite sides of the fan but I anticipate it will be reduced when everything is tightened up once back on the car.

Thanks for all the help, I want to get it back together and ready for the last DE of the year.

Quick Reply: Fan hub fully seated?