Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My long overdue 964 widebody track car build thread (long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 05:19 PM
espanolie
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took a vid of the car idling. car sounds amazing. Did I say it's loud!
[/QUOTE]

sounds pretty awesome! love to hear it screaming near redline on the track
Old 09-23-2015, 05:28 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Some of the comments I have been told were "best sounding engine period" "Simply awesome" and "holly Sh!x that sounds amazing" at the glen. I was snagged at Palmer at 104db so it isn't as loud as a N/A car with open pipes but it is a blast to drive and everyone knows if your ******* it or on the gas.

What you don't hear in the video but at higher rpms is the sound of the turbos spooling down. Also when at WOT the WG's just dump out the bottom adding a bit of a roar.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:53 PM
Settin03
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a sweet build Cobalt. To see this car in person is truly a masterpiece. The color, the personalized detail is amazing. Great job!
Old 02-13-2016, 06:36 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

just saw this, sub'd, of course...
Old 03-07-2016, 09:14 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
So the brakes are installed. Very happy with them so far. Had to have custom rotors made to fit my aluminum hat. I am using full 993TT big reds all around instead of the 964 turbo rears due to some issues. rear still needs some work
Anthony PM'd concerning this....
Old 07-26-2017, 10:51 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I figured I would resurrect this thread. I initially pushed this project through to get as much track time as possible but I have limited my track driving to my Boxster GTS due to health and life getting in the way. But that is now in the past hopefully.

Initially we had the front suspension set to the N/A inboard settings for the bottom. The car was quite capable but still not to my liking. I added tarrett bump steer tie rods and we mounted the suspension in the outboard turbo mounting points. I already had fitted the 993 longitudinals to the car so it was +15mm from stock 964 width but -15mm from the turbo/3.8RS width.

So now the car sits with the front end at +15mm wider than the turbo per side or 45mm wider than a 964. There was ample room and I no longer have the inner or back liner rubbing issues I had before. the car is also much easier to turn at slow speeds with the manual rack feels more like an RSA. I also found out that after hard driving the old supercup H&R suspension had settled. We let the car rest for a day before aligning last time but it is old technology unlike todays Ohlins or Motons. I wanted to get more of the feel of the day so to speak so for now I am sticking with these but we found that the rear had gone from -2.5 degrees of camber to -2.7. This caused me running on the inner portion of the tire and the rest of the tire sucked up all the loose rubber off the track. So we reset the rear to -2.3 and will remeasure after my next event. I am assuming I will be at -2.5 or so after a long weekend.

I do plan to rework my rims to the same spec as the 3.8RSR speedlines I have. The fronts are 9.5 vs the current 9" I am currently running so I will need a new inner barrel and the rears will eventually get a 4.75" outer barrel (same as the speedlines) and a 7.25 inch inner making them 12" instead of 11" so I can run wider than the 295's I am currently running.

There are some minor things needing to be done one is to get the speedo working for the sole purpose of knowing how many miles I have driven. The AIM will tell me everything else I need to know.

I am supper psyched to get out there again in my creation (some have called my car a frankenstein) We call it the Blue Meanie taken from the Beatles Yellow Submarine. Graphics to follow.

Hopefully everything works out will report back after I get a number of days under my belt and see what changes need to be made. It will be a short season this year but plan to spend much more time at the track next.

Now if I can just find a way for my son to pay his way at these events. Running two cars is not cheap or easy.
Attached Images       
Old 07-26-2017, 10:53 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dwane
Anthony PM'd concerning this....
Did I ever respond to you? In the end I went with 993 RS brakes instead of the turbo to move bias forward.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:31 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

So I returned from WG and I have to say it is amazing how being away for a short time how much has changed. The hardware there was mind blowing. Cup cars, trans am spec race car, Vipers, R8's, Ferrari Challenge race cars, C6 Z06's, Lotus, and a whole bunch of 991 GT3RS's. Then we move onto the 700+ hp custom built Porsche's with full everything. The number of Cayman GT4's, Full spec racers and the rest were head turning. I believe I was one of two 964's and a couple of 993's. The days of the RSA 964 cup cars and others alike are long gone and the speeds are surpassing the race cars of just a few years ago.

I felt like I brought a water pistol to a machine gun fight.

The car ran well. Got tons of attention and was secretly voted nicest car there by everyone I spoke to. The suspension changes were great but unfortunately had a hick up the first day. When I rolled the front fenders I am not sure why but I didn't roll the last inch or so in the front. Nothing rubbed until I got on track and then when I came in after my wife and i got a session each in I noticed I filleted one of my front tires. Pictures below. The sharp edge cut a perfect 3/8" deep cut just under the outer edge. I am lucky I didn't blow a tire. The belt was not visible but I was not about to take any chances. I do not have a second set of tires and wheels yet so I was done so I thought.

Fortunately my friend Bob was nice enough to sell me his used fronts off his GT3. He wanted to finish the day before he switched over to his slicks but I could buy his 4 day used R7's 245/40/18. I had the tires mounted that night. It is amazing what you will do to your car to get that seat time. I spent some time hammering the metal down so i can use vice grips to bend the extra material flat and out of the way. It seemed to work with only minor damage.

So after a night of eating too much of the finest Italian cuisine at the scungilli fest thrown by my friends Frank, Anthony and Vinnie. I took the car out in hopes I corrected the issue. I was pleased to find that my efforts paid off. The handling is amazing the turn in took time to get accustomed to. So precise and no delay. Simple point and shoot. The big issue was the rear tires had a lot of picked up rubber from the previous events and I found myself spinning the rear tires going up the toe of the boot. Eventually after getting a little sideways in some of the turns the rubber went away and the tires began to grip.

I am still not happy with the back end. I need to play with my sway bars or possibly consider more rubber in the rear. I would like to see a 12" wide rim with a 315 or larger tire eventually.

I don't want to get too far away from the 3.8RS in feel but it is hard to deal with the speed of some of these newer cars. I watched as GT3RS's took lines that would have me into the wall backwards fly up the esses with zero effort.

The slower cars today are equal to the faster cars just a few years ago.

So back to the driver. I found my rust got rustier. It took time to get back into the groove. After driving my Boxster GTS on track the past events and a lot of time driving my 5 speed C2 the 6 speed 993 box had me rethinking how I shift. I know if it was my C2 I wouldn't have the problems I had but the distance between 2nd and 4th on the 6 speed box is much closer than on the 5 speed so my first realization was coming down the back straight and throwing it from 5th into 2nd and with a slight release nearly spun the car. I saved it without issue or overrevining thank goodness. So I found i had to think much more about my shifting which slowed me down and a number of times I lost all my momentum going into the toe when I missed 4th and dropped it into 2nd. I knew I did it before releasing the clutch so by the time I got it into 4th I had slowed too much and was now off boost. Nothing like having a gaggle of GT3RS's, monster RSR's and other hyper fast cars coming up behind you while trying to regain momentum.

I eventually worked it out and was able to get times down to 2;16s. I hit my limit for the weekend clearly the car exceeded the drivers abilities but I plan to be back on top of my game in the near future. I plan to do the advanced WG event there in the future. So with 3.5 hours or so of driving per day and I plan to pay for some coaching I think I can get my times down considerably. I have some friends who complimented me saying they couldn't keep up when I was driving my best but I think they were just being kind. I know this car can do so much more but the cars today are just so damn fast and easy to drive that I have no doubt my hand will be out the window more than I like no matter how much I improve.

Anyway here are the pictures of the tire and the culprit to my problem. I am not sure why they post upside down and there seems to be nothing I can do to correct it.
Attached Images   
Old 07-31-2017, 01:35 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Some of the hardware. Just amazing stuff and the speeds are insane.
Attached Images        
Old 07-31-2017, 01:40 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

My wife getting ready for her run session. We also brought the boxster GTS. My son drove it and was a nice backup for while the tire problem was resolved. Sadly it seems my son will be outdriving me shortly. he was one of the fastest in his group and was passing R8's and other cars but clearly driver skill over machine.
Attached Images     
Old 07-31-2017, 01:54 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Such a good car!!!
Old 07-31-2017, 04:40 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Thx

how is yours coming along?
Old 07-31-2017, 04:57 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Thx

how is yours coming along?
slowly. like my current house remodel :-)

Interior is all stripped down its going to the cage (rear only) fabricator in the next week or so. Still need to pull the motor/trans.

One thing that slowed it down was we're using my car since it has the 993 evo uprights on it to test and mock up the final versions of the pieces BBI is fabricating. The last prototype was close but Betim is a perfectionist.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:00 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
slowly. like my current house remodel :-)

Interior is all stripped down its going to the cage (rear only) fabricator in the next week or so. Still need to pull the motor/trans.

One thing that slowed it down was we're using my car since it has the 993 evo uprights on it to test and mock up the final versions of the pieces BBI is fabricating. The last prototype was close but Betim is a perfectionist.
Looking forward to seeing the final product. Both the car and the uprights.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:56 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I forgot to add one of my terrifying experiences from this past weekend. I never would have imagined this could happen.

I was going into the heal of the boot at the Glen. Apparently I slowed enough that a Bee flew into the car instead of being windshield goo. I drive with my visor open and the damn thing flew into my helmet. I pulled into the pits and tried to get it out and I accidentally hit my visor closed. So i am driving back to the garages and somehow did not get stung but finally got it out when I pulled my helmet off.

Not something you want to experience I can assure you.

Quick Reply: My long overdue 964 widebody track car build thread (long)