Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

964 | Go Cars Vs Show Cars

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 06:14 AM
mf_rsr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just my 2ps worth...

This thread is obviously inflammatory which is a shame. Fun, but...

My point...The Lotus Elise BBS put me off ownership. In contrast, everytime someone finds out about my car, after I've finished talking about how light and modded it is I always follow up with how great the rennlist community is...its not just about the car itself, its also the people.

My fear...isolating groups and poking fun leaves a bad taste. Think it by all means, but something like this thread doesn't do anybody any favours.

FWIW...I love minty. I love show scene innovations e.g. boxster number plate lights, shaved indicators, front plate recess removal etc etc. I also love serious track 964s so hats off to Perrew and kaiB.

FWIW2...theres a difference between speaking within a group and for the group. I think we all mature enough to voice our own opinion rather than have it forced upon us :-)
Old 10-03-2014, 06:43 AM
Henrik964
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Dont get this thread, unnecessary. All builds are cool in its own purpose.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:00 AM
deutschland-dobson
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by freedman
Yes it was a really nice event, with a great atmosphere. More 964ers should do it. It would be a great day out

Frank, that car you linked on Speedhunters was subsequently broken for parts IIRC (no idea why)
Ollie, the chap who owned it unfortunately blew his engine.

He stripped it for parts. Frank bought the wheels and a few others got lucky with nice parts too.

Was a shame, as the level of detail in his car was outstanding IMHO.

Chris
Old 10-03-2014, 08:26 AM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I'm a true believer in the three "F's"

"Form Follows Function"

I also have an issue with over sized (19" or above) wheels.
Being one of the L9O crew IMHO there is room for both camps but I think Cobalt has hit the nail on the head...
Old 10-03-2014, 08:28 AM
Derek911
Racer

Default Kids! Don't make me stop this car!

Where did this thread go?? The "opinion" threads seem to always go awry. There is no right or wrong in what someone decides to do with an automobile that they paid for. The problem with opinions is that everyone has one. You cannot debate an opinion. The fact that some people are upset because the 964 has become desirable and within the budget of "VW people" is ridiculous. This points to the snobbery that exits by some. This may be a generational thing as pointed out by someone. The car has not changed, society has changed. As generations get older, we appreciate different styles. We have a different eye for things. There is no doubt that a Porsche is a performance car, but how often or how many people use or need all of that performance? People who are racing back and forth to work and the grocery store don't need roll cages, Recarro seats, and H&R suspensions, but we have them. The craziest thing is a roll cage in a slammed car! Seriously?? But we see it all the time on this forum. My point is that we all do "unnecessary" things to our cars and 80 percent of it is not conducive to our actual driving patterns. So the only reason we do it is because we like the way it looks, sounds, or makes us feel. Again, I think the problem here is a generational gap. This is one reason I don't like PCA events and coffees... Because it draws an older crowd with different tastes. I wouldn't bash them and their stock 996 turbos with stock wheels and ride height, but that's not my style, just like they shouldn't bash a lowered 964 with Rotiforms and a booming stereo. Let's keep opinions to ourselves. I come here for technical information. I don't come here to bash someone who likes something that has absolutely nothing to do with me and may not even be in the same Country as I am.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:32 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Interesting, reading all of your opinions.
I think the criticism of Frank is not necessary.
He has started a thread, that poses a question, " Are you a Stance or Perfomance Guy (or Gal).
Ok, he's poked a bit of fun at the stance guys, but I also know he does appreciate some of the stance cars as I am sure everyone on RL has at some point no matter what their preference is.
Personally, I'm a performance guy, but I don't like the Std European ride height, I prefer a lower ride height, but not slammed for me thanks.
I've read through threads started by Lateforlunch, Financed, Todeshandler and Farkas, as well as Black Betty's, Rob964, Babalouie (I'm sure we all mis his contribution to the 964 forum) and they have all been great reads.
It's obvious Lateforlunch is a good technician (Engineer) and loves these cars and I felt Financed's joy of rebuilding his engine with LFL's help.

Let's face it, we all love 964's and we all will have the same or similar questions about our cars at some point in time.

this thread shouldn't be taken too seriously, it's asked a question and by the looks of the poll performance is the most popular choice, but that doesn't mean we are denouncing the show cars.
Black Betty, is probably a good example of a car that goes and shows as in fact a number are.

So, sit back and reflect on your point of view, accept that we are all different and have different opinions on what our perfect 964 is, and enjoy our cars.

At some point we will all need each other's advice on one thing or the other after all our cars were all built by the same company, PORSCHE, I believe and they are pretty much the same under the skin, believe it or not.

Last edited by STUARTQ; 10-03-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:38 AM
jevvy964
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

For me its all about the posing, I dont actually enjoy driving it (too noisy and firm ride) so I much prefer just turning up to places and leaving it in the car park for people to take photos of. Heres some recent detailing pics I took before the Oulton RS day:

I can sometimes be persuaded to do a parade lap or 2, I just take it easy though:

Old 10-03-2014, 09:01 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Derek911
This points to the snobbery that exits by some. This may be a generational thing as pointed out by someone.
Nah, in the L9O there are probs around 40+ 964s and their owners who have come along for a lunch & drive/ track day at some point or another.... over the last 3 years of it's existence I've met guys from all walks of life.

Literally from high flying lawyers to truckers... and everything in between. As for it being generational. Of the top of my head there are 40 years between some of the lads and everyone gets along just fine.

The only snobbism is not being able to laugh, when banter is thrown about

Originally Posted by STUARTQ
Ok, he's poked a bit of fun at the stance guys, but I also know he does appreciate some of the stance cars as I am sure everyone on RL has at some point no matter what their preference is.
/\
THIS
Originally Posted by STUARTQ
this thread shouldn't be taken too seriously, it's asked a question and by the looks of the poll performance is the most popular choice, but that doesn't mean we are denouncing the show cars.
/\
& THIS

Originally Posted by jevvy964
For me its all about the posing, I dont actually enjoy driving it (too noisy and firm ride) so I much prefer just turning up to places and leaving it in the car park for people to take photos of. Heres some recent detailing pics I took before the Oulton RS day:

I can sometimes be persuaded to do a parade lap or 2, I just take it easy though:
Old 10-03-2014, 09:03 AM
financd964
Instructor

I like how no matter what anyone says about anything frank it truly right all the time. Hang on.... Let me google the definition of the word 'right'
Old 10-03-2014, 09:07 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Originally Posted by financd964
I like how no matter what anyone says about anything frank it truly right all the time. Hang on.... Let me google the definition of the word 'right'
If you do you'll see my face.

Fella - relax, what the hell do I know. I'm just amusing my sad little mind. Like I said, a few of the L9O guys slammed their cars too... it's banter.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:30 AM
VR6-er
Racer

To be fair, so long as the wheel bolts are correctly torqued, nothing else matters (in joke, you had to be there).
Old 10-03-2014, 10:00 AM
Shamstar
Rennlist Member

This thread is completely ridiculous and a little cringeworthy if you ask me, you can't ostracise and ridicule a group of people because they beg to differ on your standpoint and your own idea of a "perfect" 964.... Especially coming from you Frank, a person whose opinions are valued on this forum!? From a neutral perspective the fact you've gone to the effort to compare cars and create a "banner" to ridicule these owners is rather embarrassing and more suited to a school playground. And for you to pass this off as light banter seems like a half arsed attempt to back track!?

I might be taking this too seriously, but in all fairness with all the time, effort and money spent on these cars, like your own if some one childishly ridiculed it I'm sure you'd be defending your corner too!?

Im normally a lurker on here and don't really post much, and although i find Rennlist one of the most informative and helpful forums I've been a member of, i also find it Clicky and at times uninviting which really is a shame as we all share a common interest..

Just my 2 Tomans worth, y'all have a good day :-)
Old 10-03-2014, 10:00 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,934 Likes on 1,170 Posts

It would appear that rennlist has remained united with a current tally of 60 performance to only 5 stance. Although everyone is welcome here and we all don't have to agree. Seriously it is the internet. No matter if you are a low rider or a stock height fan we all need assistance with the mechanics of these cars they aren't getting any younger or cheaper to fix. I think we all can agree that rennlist is one of the top sources for information about the cars we all enjoy.

I find this thread not much different than my conversations with my 16 year old son who has picked up on rap music after years of enjoying classic rock with me. He is a freestyle skier and likes the beat to ski to. Until he explained it to me that way I had no understanding why he found comfort in listening to the vulgar lyrics. I have an issue with most of the lyrics but he has the right to enjoy what he enjoys so long as it is in the ears and does not become part of his persona. I have no doubt that he will tire of it and move on but for now I must try to be patient.

Maybe if the stance guys gave us more info on the mechanics behind what and why they do what they do it might help us to better understand this approach to 964 ownership?

I have owned many cars equipped with air ride suspension. It is definitely a different feel and approach than standard coil over. I still don't see how you can avoid the bad roads but as far as comfort and handling goes it would be interesting to see how the two compare when put to a practical test.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:50 AM
financd964
Instructor

There you go again.... Narrowing everyone down to 'stance' guys. I for one don't grasp that. Maybe it's a language barrier but for me and my friends stancy type guys are a whole different genre. And to assume we all run air ride, well air ride on a 964 sickens me. I enjoy nice hardware on my car and love driving it to a porsche meet or just cruising it to a bar slammed to the ground. That's what I like. If you don't appreciate that then stop making or participating in threads attacking it.

Now, I'm feeling a tad singled out here and may be on the defense a little because my car was used in franks little example here.

I'm glad this thread is a wreck because it's stupid. Frank assuming Brian only took a trophy lap around the ring as if he were there with him and a few other specific comments he makes then back tracks is stupid..... Oh I only went to one show out of curiosity but decided it wasn't for me guys. Yeah sure. Poking fun at changing up wheels and rotiform a little bit but he wants to start up a wheel biz?

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Like others have said, this is the internet I get it. I'm not heated or anything. I really could care less. I enjoy my car very much and get a boner whenever I see it sitting in my garage. Nuff said.

Last edited by financd964; 10-03-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:43 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 964 | Go Cars Vs Show Cars