Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

964 | Go Cars Vs Show Cars

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 11:51 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Financd,

I saw your other thread on your build everything you did and did right on your car. Nice job. It's interesting to think about it another way:if I had your car what would do with it? Not much, I like it on the baskeweave rotoforms and I would ease it up about 20mm and probably change the radio presets...

For what it's worth I don't consider you or your car a poser or what I consider "stance" all slam and glam without any real understanding of how things work...big big difference.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:54 AM
Todeshandler
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

964 | Porsche Guy vs Poser Guy

It's on the tip of everyones tongues. In fact it's resulted in forum ranting. There is a clear divide within modified 964 owners...

Porsche Guys - those who modify their cars to their liking and can enjoy other's cars for what they are.

Poser Guys - those who modify their cars to gain credibility in a certain circle. generally insecure and will do their best to put down others when they don't conform to the strict how to modify your poser car guidelines.

Running a tow hook on a street car. Poser Guy.

Big red sticker to point out tow hook on a street car. Poser Guy.

Brembo must pay good per lap on the M1. Poser Guy.

Fake Heuer clock. Poser Guy

Jacket, gloves and harness pads ready to go for your commute to work? Poser Guy

Sponsored by Motul? Poser Guy

Race Guy or Stance Guy? Neither. Poser Guy

More sponsors and driver number on a street car? Poser Guy

Booming sub setup in a track car? Poser Guy

Makes fun of VW guys yet buys a modified VW for daily driver. Yup... Poser Guy

This could go on........ Please don't take this too seriously. Zero ****s are given about your mods. It's just a bit of light banter hopefully you don't forget your sense of humor in all this.

But really. I read your bull**** post here. Then see your post here -https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/747761-black-betty-back-in-black-50.html#post11444966

Car washed I headed down to meet up with Matt who had just received some new Rotiform Fucs. Have to say I'd never seen such an aggressive fitment. And I found myself several times fighting between thinking the fitment was cool and then thinking it was insane. That said there's no denying that the car looked like a car designer rendering - wonderfully purposeful but not necessarily functional...

...and then all of sudden the rain cleared and Matt lead the way through B roads down to Goodwood. His car moved and I mean moved fast. So do these slammed cars perform well? From where I was sitting, chasing him - he set a pace that had me pushing on.

Now of course I'm not suggesting we all slam our cars, I still believe that for outright performance one must be sensible with choosing non stretched tyres for our rims. However, do these cars work - yes and seemingly without trouble. You have to admire the dedication it takes to get their fitment right. It's all mm tolerances.
Reading this thread then reading that, I just don't get it. Are you bipolar? Multiple personality disorder?

I like how you state I did a parade lap around the Ring with the parking lot full of VWs. When back in reality you're the one taking you sponsored race car to a VW Stance show to clean it up, show it and then do a parade lap around goodwood with a parking lot full of VWs!!

In all honesty, I couldn't vote on this pole even if I wanted to. I'm not a stance guy or a performance guy. I'm a Porsche guy.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:00 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by financd964
There you go again.... Narrowing everyone down to 'stance' guys. I for one don't grasp that. Maybe it's a language barrier but for me and my friends stancy type guys are a whole different genre. And to assume we all run air ride, well air ride on a 964 sickens me. I enjoy nice hardware on my car and love driving it to a porsche meet or just cruising it to a bar slammed to the ground. That's what I like. If you don't appreciate that then stop making or participating in threads attacking it.

Now, I'm feeling a tad singled out here and may be on the defense a little because my car was used in franks little example here.

I'm glad this thread is a wreck because it's stupid. Frank assuming Brian only took a trophy lap around the ring as if he were there with him and a few other specific comments he makes then back tracks is stupid..... Oh I only went to one show out of curiosity but decided it wasn't for me guys. Yeah sure. Poking fun at changing up wheels and rotiform a little bit but he wants to start up a wheel biz?

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Like others have said, this is the internet I get it. I'm not heated or anything. I really could care less. I enjoy my car very much and get a boner whenever I see it sitting in my garage. Nuff said.
So this is what I am trying to understand. You are saying you enjoy how it deflects uncontrollably as you drive over pot holes and rough roads???? You can't tell me that a lowered car doesn't do this. It is the nature of the beast.

I had my turbo at RS or turbo S height and it was uncontrollable on your average street. I had a BMW back in the 80's I did this to and I for the life of me it tore my insides a part and eventually after blowing out the shock towers I realized it doesn't work.

So what am I missing i am trying to understand?
Old 10-03-2014, 12:05 PM
financd964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not saying you shouldn't be careful driving it at that height. It does require skill to properly drive a lowered car like that the right way.... Although I don't just mob over whatever is in front of me. I choose wisely where I drive. For me that's my track day if you will. I have quality parts on my car and it's only getting better. All of my buddies cars are the same way.

For what it is my car doesn't drive terrible like you're thinking. I'm not as old as some of you but I'm not a young kid either, I've always enjoyed very low cars and I always will. I always try to properly bring a car down, I never cheap out.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:29 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Todeshandler
Running a tow hook on a street car. Poser Guy.
It's a track regulation to have a toe iron when you're on track. And yes I don't take it out because it's got a useful GoPro mount to record Sunday blasts with the fellas.

Big red sticker to point out tow hook on a street car. Poser Guy.
Again, a track requirement. It helps point out to Marshalls quickly where the iron is should you have an off on track.

Brembo must pay good per lap on the M1. Poser Guy.
Fake Heuer clock. Poser Guy[/IMG]
What can I say - I'm a fan boy of Brembo and Heuer. Probably related to their heritage with Porsche
If your saying that putting 'relevant' stickers and 'beautifying' mods is posing then you'll be here for a while with us lot. Also the numbers on the back are a track requirement so you can be easily identified by marshals. Mine is dates back from my time at Spa (It's a lovely track in Belgium) every time I see it I smile at the great trip that first year was.

Jacket, gloves and harness pads ready to go for your commute to work? Poser
Nope I take the bus to commute. Central London is too much of a traffic hotspot. But yes, again - gloves are a good idea on track since palms get sticky. For those reading GoCart gloves are often cheaper and just as good - tip from Boxsey that. Jacket - well you have to wear long sleeves on track and hey I like the nostalgia.

Race Guy or Stance Guy? Neither. Poser Guy
Yes I do like my heritage stickers - guilty

Booming sub setup in a track car? Poser Guy
Tode, because I track and drive my car - I can't enjoy music? Besides in hindsight it weighs the car too much and I'm pretty sure I'll ditch it.

Makes fun of VW guys yet buys a modified VW for daily driver. Yup... Poser Guy
Yes indeed - I love VWs. In fact I used to have a '57 oval. It is a car I miss dearly. I love modified cars of all sorts - just not a fan of form over function and car scenes.

This could go on........ Please don't take this too seriously. Zero ****s are given about your mods. It's just a bit of light banter hopefully you don't forget your sense of humor in all this.

But really. I read your bull**** post here. Then see your post here
Indeed I stand by what I said and say. The slammed guys in the group are a great bunch - but,

" A scorpion asks a frog to carry him over a river. The frog is afraid of being stung during the trip, but the scorpion argues that if it stung the frog, both would sink and the scorpion would drown. The frog agrees and begins carrying the scorpion, but midway across the river the scorpion does indeed sting the frog, dooming them both. When asked why, the scorpion points out that this is its nature. "

If you can't understand me - then you won't be the last.

I like how you state I did a parade lap around the Ring with the parking lot full of VWs. When back in reality you're the one taking you sponsored race car to a VW Stance show to clean it up, show it and then do a parade lap around goodwood with a parking lot full of VWs!!
Errr... I was hoping to at least get half a days worth. But then when I saw lots of stretch tyre guys getting black flagged by marshals, drifts on a track day and an air ride car barrel roll into a write off I retired. Yes.

Actually this pic was taken on a separate day. It was organised by fellow L9O'ers for a good cause and truly was a spectacular day. The pic was taken by the talented VroomPhoto (Subtle Plug)

I love all porkers as long as they're not slammed. My view is that one can do whatever they want to their Porsche - I just can't appreciate a Porsche that is transformed from a drivers car into something purely for the look.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:44 PM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Brian (Todeshamdler),
As i said, Franks car is somewhere between a go and a show car, yep he likes to show it, but he also likes to thrash it around a race track or mountain roads.
Black Betty, has been set up for fast road and track use and that means lowered stiffer suspension, a highly specced and modified engine and now he's moving onto interior and taking weight out of the car.
We all have our haters, some people love Magnus Walker, some hate him.
I've also seen unnecessary hate aimed at Frank from a guy in the states, some people can't help them selves.

it all boils down to what you want from your 964.
Some people only want a totally unmolested 964 with low miles etc.
The stance guys (if thats the correct term) want a low as you can go sticky outtie wide wheel look
and others want a race car for the road and track look.

We've all looked at someone else's 964 and thought what a piece of ****e, how could they do that to their car and that includes RWB modified cars, Stanced / slammed cars, standard cars with chromed wheels on etc etc.

I'ts their car and their choice.

Jevy ought to ashamed at the state of his car, (have a word Frank) I'm not happy with the sate of mine either.

Financd, I know you love you car the way it is, but why build it to a point where you have to be careful driving it and where you drive it etc.
Porsches are fun to drive when set up for it, they handle fantastically and theres not much to compare to them, but it's your choice.

I think we should have a US and a UK show down where we all get together look at touch, smell each drive or be driven in others cars and get a chance to understand each camps ethos. Could be fun!
Old 10-03-2014, 01:13 PM
Todeshandler
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

I've done over 15k miles in my car since I bought it. 4k of that driving from England to Austria, around the ring, into Amsterdam. Roads I've never seen before and some of the worst I have seen. All in my car without problem or damage aside from some scraped up lower control arms.

I'm right there with you on some of the "stanced" 964s not being to my taste but there's plenty of "performance" 964s that aren't as well. Bottom line is it sounds like our definitions of "stance" vary. I do not consider my 964 "stanced". Yes it's lowered more than the average but I'd hardly call a 215 tire on a 8.5" and a 255 on a 10" non-functional. So really my car doesn't fit into either category in this pole. It's show and go. My vote is "I'm a Porsche guy" and don't really give a **** about the rest of it.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:24 PM
financd964
Instructor

On the topic of tires.... Mine aren't exactly what I'd like. So they are more stretchy than I'd like. In the states finding the certain tires I want is difficult and very expensive so for now my stancy stretchy non functional tires hold air and my car off the ground and allow me to drive it to the bar or hang with my buddies. Sorry about that everyone.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:37 PM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

I've done over 15k miles in my car since I bought it. 4k of that driving from England to Austria, around the ring, into Amsterdam. Roads I've never seen before and some of the worst I have seen. All in my car without problem or damage aside from some scraped up lower control arms.

I'm right there with you on some of the "stanced" 964s not being to my taste but there's plenty of "performance" 964s that aren't as well. Bottom line is it sounds like our definitions of "stance" vary. I do not consider my 964 "stanced". Yes it's lowered more than the average but I'd hardly call a 215 tire on a 8.5" and a 255 on a 10" non-functional. So really my car doesn't fit into either category in this pole. It's show and go. My vote is "I'm a Porsche guy" and don't really give a **** about the rest of it.
WE LIKE WHAT WE LIKE!
Old 10-03-2014, 01:58 PM
financd964
Instructor

That's what I've been trying to say there.... No need for this dumb thread.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:58 PM
BHCfarkas
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just like living dangerously...
Old 10-03-2014, 02:00 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by financd964
That's what I've been trying to say there.... No need for this dumb thread.
Indeed its just some of us (me) have big mouths/ are wind up merchants/ can't resist poking fun.

I know, I know I'm the worlds biggest pr*ck.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:06 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Question answered while i was typing

If the only answer is "it is what I like" than I hate to say it but in my book you fall in the stance category and all I can say is enjoy it in good health.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:21 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

New poll:

1. Pointy boots and tweed sport coats
2. Nikes and baggy shorts

I like all Porsches too.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:36 PM
Derek911
Racer

Everyone needs to see the latest pics on the 964 picture thread today. The old purists heads will explode. Lol.

Quick Reply: 964 | Go Cars Vs Show Cars