RS America Values

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 01:32 AM
erikerik
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 42 Posts
Default RS America Values

Hey Guys,

Was wondering if I could get your feedback on the recent surge in RSA values...

Why are these cars going up in value.. doubling since Jan of this year? Do you guys see these cars continuing to climb?

RSamerica.net hasn't shown a sold car in a while... is the demand there for these cars?
Old 09-26-2014, 09:42 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Originally Posted by erikerik
Hey Guys,

Was wondering if I could get your feedback on the recent surge in RSA values...

Why are these cars going up in value.. doubling since Jan of this year? Do you guys see these cars continuing to climb?

RSamerica.net hasn't shown a sold car in a while... is the demand there for these cars?
I can't figure it out. It would appear the recent surge in ROW Carrera RS values has the market confused. A lot of overseas investors are buying these thinking they are similar to the RS which is not the case. Although the RSA is a relatively rare model it seems to be first choice over a C2 or C4 although as a driver there is relatively no difference except for the manual rack.

So many of the RSA's have been tracked and modified so when nice clean unmolested cars come up for sale people go crazy for them. Not sure why the others are up where they are needing a ton of work to bring back to stock.

Hagerty has these valued at absurd prices and even the C2 is climbing. Although if you look at the turbo values they claim they are worth less than the RSA's. Right now a nice 3.3turbo and RSA are about the same and the T3.6's higher but I don't see how this can last much longer and eventually it will have to settle out. I think the RSA market will be hurt more than any once the bubble bursts.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:06 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Wish we could group together these recent, relevant threads... great comments within each on the topic.

Another Ambitiously Priced RS America
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=19642

OK, maybe the market is really THAT crazy for RS America
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=19642
Old 09-26-2014, 10:33 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

For whatever reason aircooled values in general are going crazy across the board, limited run cars are at the bleeding edge. As far as the RSA there are a number of people making a grab, but then some rationally valued cars. $200k for mid mile driver? No. But $60-$100 for a nice low miler is not out of the park for those with the means. I think values will settle in that range and a lot of these will get rolled back in the garage...
Old 09-26-2014, 12:45 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Good comments above.

The main benefit of these recent insane RSA prices? It helps erase the unfair, "red-headed stepchild" comments thrown at the 964 in the past.

It's such a wonderful, do everything 911 that is very enjoyable to look at and drive.
As values go up, and good cars are hard to find, people are seeing the platform in a different light.

Speaking of special 964s and crazy prices!
Today on mobile.de, Thomas Schmitz is asking 650.000 EUR for a 964 RSR3.8, original 6200 km
I'd love to build a 100.000 EUR replica of that car....

Old 09-26-2014, 02:50 PM
964Q
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^ The 964 has always been a great car to some of us, but it has received a lot of bashing for no reason in my opinion. It has always been part of the family.

I'm in the same boat as Cobalt when it comes to RSA's. The differences between them and C2's are minimal, which is hard to believe the asking prices. From the link below, there were 701 RSA's produced. Rare, but prices right now are floating in a bubble.

http://www.carreracupusa.org/article...%20Edition.pdf
Old 09-26-2014, 02:58 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 964Q
I'm in the same boat as Cobalt when it comes to RSA's. The differences between them and C2's are minimal, which is hard to believe the asking prices. From the link below, there were 701 RSA's produced. Rare, but prices right now are floating in a bubble.
This is no different than the situation with the 996GT3 and 996GT3-RS or the 997GT3 and 997GT3-RS (i'm leaving the 4.0L version out of this comparison...)
Old 09-26-2014, 05:02 PM
Flagg
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am an original owner of an RSA. Mine has just over 40k miles - really nice shape. It is the perfect sports car for me. I take it on a short errands about once every 2 weeks, and a longer drive about 1 time a month. it has always been a second car. Defines what I think of when I think of Porsche, or sports car. Always amazes me when I drive it. I have done so many great things, and met so many great friends in the Porsche community with this car. No plans to sell. I love the car.

Because of this, and I know this sounds stupid, I almost wish the value of the RSA were not soaring at such ridiculous. prices.

True - it is not much different than a C2. It was 10k cheaper than a C2 new - and a lot easier on the wallet to buy. I liked the things that were deleted. I loved having no sunroof. It was a great decision. But these issues are why I bought the car - not because I believed it would be worth a ton of money in the future.

Everything I said in the first paragraph, would hold true, if the car was worth significantly LESS than a C2.

I have three kids - 5 and 7 year boys - and a 6 month daughter. I keep the car covered in a 2 car garage, on a trickle charger (it always starts STRONG) - and drive it when I can. It has kids run buy it all the time, and normal everyday garage stuff surrounds it, in a normal everyday community. Now a car seat is carried by it and loaded into my wife's car.

So I have had thoughts in the last year like: "This car is now worth so much - I need to get it out of here. I need to get storage! What if the kids damage it! Where else can I park it!" All because of this inflated increase of price." OR "I should sell this car - and buy a nice C2!" I never had these thoughts before.

So people paying these ridiculous prices are going to put them in safe places and barely drive them. So we will stop seeing them.

As of now I think I will keep doing what I am doing. Hope the kids don't do something that accidentally really scratches or dents it. But if so, I will just get it fixed.

If I put it off site in a storage bay, I know I would drive it less and less and less. And then what is the point. If that was the case I might as well sell it to someone else that would not drive it.

Bottom line: Porsche (cars in general) were meant to be driven. It is kind of sad when the value of a Porsche climbs to the point that you can not afford to drive it anymore.

FLAGG
Old 09-26-2014, 05:21 PM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I felt lucky to fetch $22k for mine, seven years ago, exactly what I paid for it ten years ago. That was a salvage title car though. I wonder what it's worth now. I do find the surge in price odd considering a nice G50 Carrera offers about the same driving experience.

I see lots of crazy asking prices, curious what they're actually selling for.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:26 PM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Nothing astronomical about this one. The tail got poached, but it looks better without it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-Porsche...p2047675.l2557
Old 09-26-2014, 06:44 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Increased value has changed everyone's idea about how to treat their cars. There definitely pros and cons at work. neglected cars are now worth sinking money into. Many are being retired from track duty and restored as drivers. Others are now sitting waiting to be driven.

I need a good excuse to take my turbo out and more than not it ends up at car shows and concours events instead of treks to New Paltz.

Today on mobile.de, Thomas Schmitz is asking 650.000 EUR for a 964 RSR3.8, original 6200 km
I'd love to build a 100.000 EUR replica of that car....
I agree I always wanted one in the worst way and would trade my turbo for one if it was worth more than a deposit. That is really scary to say considering what the 3.6T's are fetching.

I started building a replica but it morphed into a twin turbo low boost mutt. 993 engine short geared 6 speed in a widebody based off a C4 now rwd. Even building this buy sourcing and recycling parts I doubt you could build a nice replica for 100.000 EUR. It adds up quickly.

Mine will have most of the same components, suspension, sways cross brace etc and look the same from the front and side but the rear will be a dead giveaway with the twin turbos and 935 style exhaust out the center. Coming up on a year for this project and can't wait till it is done.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:55 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Flagg
I am an original owner of an RSA. Mine has just over 40k miles - really nice shape. It is the perfect sports car for me. I take it on a short errands about once every 2 weeks, and a longer drive about 1 time a month. it has always been a second car. Defines what I think of when I think of Porsche, or sports car. Always amazes me when I drive it. I have done so many great things, and met so many great friends in the Porsche community with this car. No plans to sell. I love the car.

Because of this, and I know this sounds stupid, I almost wish the value of the RSA were not soaring at such ridiculous. prices.

True - it is not much different than a C2. It was 10k cheaper than a C2 new - and a lot easier on the wallet to buy. I liked the things that were deleted. I loved having no sunroof. It was a great decision. But these issues are why I bought the car - not because I believed it would be worth a ton of money in the future.

Everything I said in the first paragraph, would hold true, if the car was worth significantly LESS than a C2.

I have three kids - 5 and 7 year boys - and a 6 month daughter. I keep the car covered in a 2 car garage, on a trickle charger (it always starts STRONG) - and drive it when I can. It has kids run buy it all the time, and normal everyday garage stuff surrounds it, in a normal everyday community. Now a car seat is carried by it and loaded into my wife's car.

So I have had thoughts in the last year like: "This car is now worth so much - I need to get it out of here. I need to get storage! What if the kids damage it! Where else can I park it!" All because of this inflated increase of price." OR "I should sell this car - and buy a nice C2!" I never had these thoughts before.

So people paying these ridiculous prices are going to put them in safe places and barely drive them. So we will stop seeing them.

As of now I think I will keep doing what I am doing. Hope the kids don't do something that accidentally really scratches or dents it. But if so, I will just get it fixed.

If I put it off site in a storage bay, I know I would drive it less and less and less. And then what is the point. If that was the case I might as well sell it to someone else that would not drive it.

Bottom line: Porsche (cars in general) were meant to be driven. It is kind of sad when the value of a Porsche climbs to the point that you can not afford to drive it anymore.

FLAGG
i like that.
i dont have an RSA, i have it's modern incarnation, water pumping RS.
i drive it as much as i can just like you described. that to me, if more fun than staring at it as appreciating asset.

Quick Reply: RS America Values