Sponsored by:

964 Engine bogging / stalling

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 02:08 PM
phatlem@mac.com
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 Engine bogging / stalling

Last summer my mechanic replaced a fuel pressure regulator after some prolonged starting. That solved that issue, but now I have another issue that seems fuel related. Intermittently and without any correlation to driving, weather, or the position of the moon, the car will loose power and stall unless I pump the throttle wildly. It is as if someone is clamping the fuel line. There are no warning lights, and it doesn't feel like it is misfiring. If I turn the car off while it is running poorly, it is hard to start and exibits the same symptoms. The problem can last a few miles or a few seconds, then all of a sudden it runs properly. My mechanic has replaced the (engine compartment) fuel filter, examined the fuel tank strainer and drained the fuel - no water or debris. Some of the other posts suggest replacing the DME, O2 sensor, head temp sensor, fuel pump, crank angle sensor, etc. I'd prefer not to throw parts at the problem, so any recommendations on where to start would be great.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:59 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

DME relay would be the first suspect. You should carry an extra in your glovebox anyway, so no reason not to pick one up.

o2 sensor, cht, flywheel sensor, fuel pump, are pretty unlikely candidates as far as I know.

There is a service bulletin for earlier cars, 1989-1990 I believe, where the afm wires can foul and cause similar symptoms.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:24 PM
backitoff
Instructor

I bought a spare DME as the word is they fail regularly. I bought a spare and as my car ran bad when cold I thought what the heck, put the new DME in and keep the old as a spare.

Wow, what a difference, my car now runs sweet, no running or stalling issues! Easiest fix possible and worth a try, for sure.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:59 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

+1 - Carry a spare DME relay. Did your mechanic check for any DME fault codes? Is your check engine light on?
Old 09-13-2014, 07:40 AM
mark lintott
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Had exactly the same symptoms on mine for about 2 days - then popped in the spare DME relay and no more problems. Almost certain this is it - quick cheap fix too...

Cheers

Mark
Old 09-14-2014, 01:47 AM
psiegel
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Try cleaning the ISV if it hasn't been claened for sometime, always a good thing to do. Also, does the stalling happen when going downhill? If so it could be that the door in the AFM is not opening properly. Just a thought.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:52 AM
phatlem@mac.com
4th Gear

Just an update in case anyone else has this bogging / stalling problem. It turned out to be the security module that is located in the front compartment underneath the windshield on the passenger side. A leaky windshield allowed water to get into it and caused the fuel pump to disengage intermittently. A used security module fixed the problem, and a new windshield rubber, properly installed, fixed the cause.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:57 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks for the update...that's a "new" one.

Quick Reply: 964 Engine bogging / stalling