Sponsored by:

stalling out when going over railroad tracks

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 12:19 AM
tcabler
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stalling out when going over railroad tracks

what could this be, something loose, every time it stalls, I restart it, it has low revs and then it suddenly kicks back in and I'm off again with no problem
Old 09-02-2014, 01:27 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Might be a bad DME relay, battery/battery connection, etc.

Need a lot more details about the car to be able to offer anything really constructive.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:01 AM
tcabler
Banned

The battery is only 6 mos old. I know the battery is not fastened in, but it never has been since I've owned it over the past 3yrs. and I've never had this problem. Anyways, it seems whenever I drive over the tracks, the car stalls, I'm able to restart it, but it doesn't seem to have a lot of power for about a minute and kinda jumps. Then, like I said, it kicks back in and drives perfectly at that point and has no problems unless I drive over something that jars it again.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

If the battery is not firmly bolted down, the plates are subject to a LOT of excess vibration which can shake them loose inside the case. Naturally, if they touch each other, the battery suffers an internal short which will stop the engine immediately.

I would suggest making sure the battery is secured properly so it cannot move at all.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:51 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
If the battery is not firmly bolted down, the plates are subject to a LOT of excess vibration which can shake them loose inside the case. Naturally, if they touch each other, the battery suffers an internal short which will stop the engine immediately.

I would suggest making sure the battery is secured properly so it cannot move at all.
THIS...would be a good start anyway.

If you've seen fit to drive for three years with a loose battery, I wonder what else hasn't been checked.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:26 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 351 Posts

If the simple and more usual items are ok then take a look at the DME itself, these are getting old and we are seeing more issues w/ them, everything from cold solder issues to disintegrating plastic components.

These guys are great, Specialized ECU Repair
Old 09-02-2014, 06:35 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
If the simple and more usual items are ok then take a look at the DME itself, these are getting old and we are seeing more issues w/ them, everything from cold solder issues to disintegrating plastic components.
if that does turn out to be the cause, here are two more options for DME repair:

1. there is a good chance it could be dodgy solder joints, so I took my DME board to a local TV/electronics repair guy and he checked over the joints for $20 and it was fixed ....

2. another option ...
http://www.911chips.com/motrepair.htm

When my DME was broken due to dodgy solder joints, the car would not keep running unless throttle was applied, but I guess it depends which solder joint(s) are broken.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:38 PM
phatlem@mac.com
4th Gear

You might want to check the fuel pump ground which is inside the front trunk. Might be why you get low revs on restart and then good running.

Quick Reply: stalling out when going over railroad tracks