Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 03:14 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Badgering Vendors

Guys,

I need to get something off my chest.

I am good friends with a prominent vendor/personality on this board. He will likely be annoyed with me for even writing this: I apologize to all in advance.

Recently there was a thread about sourcing bearings for a distributor rebuild. It turns out that this friend of mine offers a distributor rebuilding service where he does the whole job for you... at a price. He has no interest in selling parts for the rebuild, as he makes his living doing the service. That's simply one way, among others, how he's chosen to make a living... by providing a service that involves some hard to find parts, and some well-earned expertise. The fact that he's invested his time, expertise and personal contacts to find these parts is part of his value-add as a professional.

It's come out that a number of people on this board have been calling him, and being pretty nasty about demanding his sources for parts, or resorting to ad-hominem attacks when he declines to reveal his methods or sources. This is a professional, who has been pretty generous with his time and his expertise for many many years. Why on earth do we feel so entitled that we can then turn around and attack someone for simply being in business? Would we demand that a dentist show us how to do fillings? Demand to know where he gets his replacement materials? Are we at the point where we would begrudge a professional of his living? That's over the line.

All I ask is that we remember a few basics. Porsches cost money to maintain, and we are lucky that there are some very generous people among us who share what they can, when they can. I couldn't run my car without that support from all members here. I could name a few who have been very giving in that regard... but when a member or contributor has reasons, can we all respect that?

Thank you.. I am sorry for the righteous soapbox, but I believe we could be at risk of losing this giving spirit if we forget some of the basics.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:21 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You know, when that particular thread began I KNEW this would happen.

Sad. At times I truly dislike people.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:29 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by tbennett017
It's come out that a number of people on this board have been calling him, and being pretty nasty about demanding his sources for parts
People are lazy! It took all of maybe an hour to locate the bearings and another 48hrs to get physical confirmation. If people want to be upset about something, they should start with the retailer that is selling them the wrong belt...
Old 08-21-2014, 04:16 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
People are lazy! It took all of maybe an hour to locate the bearings and another 48hrs to get physical confirmation. If people want to be upset about something, they should start with the retailer that is selling them the wrong belt...
I would say too many people feel entitled! And I agree with Tom's original post. to everyone who contributes here.

Quick Reply: Badgering Vendors