Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So what's different about this airbag light?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 07:17 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Default So what's different about this airbag light?

So my airbag light lights up. Together with the warning light, the "!".

It happened out of nowhere, just one day. No work had been done and I drive my car daily.

The light is not permanently on. Some days, it doesn't light up (except for when the ignition is switched on, with engine not running), so all good. Some days it's permanently lit. Some other days it goes on and off while driving.

I tried having the code read out.
The Porsche dealer with an original hammer plugged it in and the light disappeared then. He said there was no fault code. When I drove out it went on again. So he checked once more, nothing and it went out again while reading.

Then two weeks later I go to my indie. Plugged in the Durametrics... couldn't connect to the Airbag module.

So I'm a bit puzzled what's going on.

He suggested changing the airbag module. Not sure if that's the solution without being sure. I Don't like trying things like this, as it could end up costing money for no reason.

Do the resident experts have any advice?

Thanks in advance rennlisters.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:31 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I've got this glitch too. Had it since I purchased the car. I went in and checked all components, did some research on line and here too. You may have a common problem with our cars: The dial you are looking at has developed some "cold" solder (I think this is what it's called). Essentially, the back of your dial, the one that shows the airbag, the solder becomes brittle, flakes off or just somehow ceases to operate. You can either purchase a new clock, or remove it and have somebody go thru each soldering point making sure no cold spots exist and then repair if it does.

there's a diy on it here somewhere..... need to do a search.

Jaime
Old 08-06-2014, 08:06 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Yeah, I've got this glitch too. Had it since I purchased the car. I went in and checked all components, did some research on line and here too. You may have a common problem with our cars: The dial you are looking at has developed some "cold" solder (I think this is what it's called). Essentially, the back of your dial, the one that shows the airbag, the solder becomes brittle, flakes off or just somehow ceases to operate. You can either purchase a new clock, or remove it and have somebody go thru each soldering point making sure no cold spots exist and then repair if it does.

there's a diy on it here somewhere..... need to do a search.

Jaime
Jaime,

That could be it... but my logic is: if it would be the clock itself, wouldn't the durametric and the hammer still be able to connect to the airbag module?

I thought the clock issue had some other lights light up as well.

So your car has the same symptoms, did you try the solder solution on the clock?

And if so, did it solve the problem?

I can't figure it out, but I know there are people with much more knowledge about these systems on the board, and people with way more experience.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:48 AM
carlskisWP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I understand the usual "clock solder" glitch is air bag and seat belt light both coming on and they won't go off until the code is cleared. I think once the air bag light has been triggered it stays on until the code is cleared. So Navarros' intermittent light on just the air bag light seems odd.

BTW - my air bag and seat belt light come on every late spring when it gets hot out. I have to clear the code, then I spray some electrical component cooler on the back of the clock and the lights stay off until next year - cheaper than a new clock and I can't solder. Your results may vary
Old 08-07-2014, 02:04 AM
RayB_911
Instructor

I recently had the seatbelt and airbag light stay on for first time since I owned it. I did the clock solder, feels good to have done it and reset with the durametric. It lasted about 24 hours. I then world with the crash sensors. Pulled them and cleans connections, reset again, been 3 weeks now. Both DIYs are available on Rennlist and Pelican.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:27 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Interesting to read nobody seems to have had exactly the same problem.

The seatbelt light is working just as intended on my car.

I also don't understand how it goes out by itself. I thought it would stay on until the code is cleared. On the Cayenne it works like that and from what i've heard other 964s are like that too.

It feels like bad connection on the control unit, or a bad control unit.

Every time we tried to read out the fault code, it was when the light was on. Never tried when the light was out. The light would go out while plugging in the cable, but I still started when it was on.

I should try with the light out to see what's up.

Anybody know how to get to the airbag module?

It's in the center tunnel I heard, just ahead of the shifter.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:17 AM
sc
Racer

Mine just did this both airbag and seatbelts on. Are there more than one crash sensors? I thought there's only one in front passenger side trunk?
Old 08-07-2014, 04:49 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

There's two of them. Both on opposing sides of the trunk.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:03 PM
sc
Racer

Thanks! I'll give it a go this weekend.

Quick Reply: So what's different about this airbag light?