Sponsored by:

Portland, OR PPI - Motormeister engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 02:12 PM
TideRace
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Portland, OR PPI - Motormeister engine

I'm looking at a beautiful 964 in the Portland area that has relatively high miles on it at 139K, but has a lot of nice things going for it. Full glass out, media blast paint job done recently, all new window and door seals, 5K miles on a rebuilt engine, etc.

Unfortunately the rebuild was done by Motormeister, probably about 4 years ago from what I can tell. I live in the Seattle area and talked to two Porsche shops that said they've never seen a good motor done by these guys. Given the volume MM seemed to deal in, and the length of time they were in business, they must have done some percentage of decent motors, right?

Anyway, it's clearly a roll of the dice that merits a PPI. Anybody have recommendations for a good shop in the Portland/Vancouver area?
Old 07-31-2014, 02:29 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Call Steve Weiner @ Rennsport Systems, he can probably do it or at least guide you. He is a member here as well.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:31 PM
Shamus964
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Stuttgart Autotech is excellent and should be able to give you the info you need including leakdown. Marque Motors has been around a long time and Kurt is great. Rothsport/Rennsport Systems is also excellent but they're a raceshop more than a routine maintenance or PPI type of place. You won't find a better crew than Jeff and Steve for racetech though.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:46 PM
TideRace
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Laurent & Shamus. I'll give your recommendations a call.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:20 PM
bobaines
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TideRace
Given the volume MM seemed to deal in, and the length of time they were in business, they must have done some percentage of decent motors, right?
In a word, NO.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:34 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All local recommendations are good ones, but due to the reputation of MM, I'd be doing some introspection to be sure you're not hopefully overlooking a potential problem...
Old 07-31-2014, 10:41 PM
Bill Kohnke
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RUN AWAY!

Sorry but just about everyone I know that has had a motormeister has been very unhappy.
I had a 2.4L conversion for my 914 and got what I paid for, not much.
They do a cheap rebuild and if a problem is brought up they don't really care...

Bad oil pressure from day one was my problem. And it never got better till I blew the engine. I think that to keep costs down they use every used part that they can.

Just my 2 cents

Bill K.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:42 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

MotorMeister is out of business I believe. I went to their shop 10 years ago to see how they do it. It was like an assembly line of guys with Motors in front of them and airguns going. Not a thing of beauty. Be careful, a PPI may not tell you everything, but a good mechanical eye might. Good luck with your decision.

Quick Reply: Portland, OR PPI - Motormeister engine