Sponsored by:

OBX race headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 10:01 AM
BHCfarkas
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OBX race headers

Soo, to be quite honest, I think the 964 is my least favorite sounding Porsche. I've been poking my head around trying to figure out how to change the 964 muscle car sound, to something a little more appealing, only to find that the long-tube setups for these cars are astronomically priced.

Then I came across OBX race headers that are made for the 996, 986, 911 and even 930, but not for the 964. Then the question came to my head, that if the exhaust port spacing is identical for these motors, why couldn't I just buy a 996 header and then put the correct flanges on them, and have a nice header and attach a nice muffler for literally a fourth of the cost of a B&B or Fabspeed system.

Picture for example: This is listed on ebay for $278.

These are listed to fit 64-89 911:

Now, before people go on about OBX chinese quality, the 930 and 996 people have been running these on their turbo cars for a couple years without issues, so I'm pretty sure that's good enough for my 964. I even saw a post where someone reported that they had a nice 23whp gain from their 3.2!

Thoughts? I would just have to find an appropriate 2-in-1-out muffler to accommodate for the single 964 muffler tip.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:15 AM
Sire
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

im curious if it wil fit, and chapeau for the thoughts.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:04 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I can't find the thread, but I believe this idea has been discussed previously with favorable views, but i'm not sure anyone has gone through with it.

Or maybe they were talking about installing 993 manifolds (also require flipping the ports).

and you'd lose heat.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:24 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would assume the port shape won't work the 32valve cars. 993 versions should work with the flanges flipped, i think some 993 ones are actually aligned for 964 studs, the 993 heads have four holes (both old and new) so can accommodate either.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:56 PM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts

why not go with a cheap (no cat and no heat) dansk/designtek solution?!
Old 07-20-2014, 06:06 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

where someone reported that they had a nice 23whp gain from their 3.2!

Nah! Never happened.

If a sub $300 set of headers will make you happy, by all means go ahead and bolt them on.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:43 PM
BHCfarkas
Racer

Originally Posted by KaiB
where someone reported that they had a nice 23whp gain from their 3.2!

Nah! Never happened.

If a sub $300 set of headers will make you happy, by all means go ahead and bolt them on.
I'll find the thread again but he had a dyno sheet to show gains.

*edit* here's the whole thread including pictures and data
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...s-com-man.html
Old 07-20-2014, 11:44 PM
BHCfarkas
Racer

Originally Posted by koenig_roland
why not go with a cheap (no cat and no heat) dansk/designtek solution?!
I'm okay with the idea of no heat, etc. but I have a hard time believing any other header system would be cheaper than sub $300 lol.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:29 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you currently have? I am running a G-pipe and don't love the sound but like the torque. Before that I had on a Cup-pipe and it sounded much better. With that being said I too am going to put on headers this winter, just not sure what system I will get.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:27 PM
BHCfarkas
Racer

Originally Posted by SuperUser
What do you currently have? I am running a G-pipe and don't love the sound but like the torque. Before that I had on a Cup-pipe and it sounded much better. With that being said I too am going to put on headers this winter, just not sure what system I will get.
Currently have a Cup Pipe and it's probably my favorite choice between cat delete, and G-pipe, but I'm still trying to get away from the deep and muscle car sound that the 964 has and go for something closer to an equal length long tube would give. I love the sound of the D&D but the cost isn't worth it to me for a street car.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:40 PM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts

designtec/dansk is here in europe round about 600,-€/800$ without cat/heat but with muffler and headers that fits without welding...

Don`t get me wrong: i`m also interested in some "cheap" headers with heat, cat and muffler :-)

Perhaps i`ll swallow the pill and buy the full-race exhaust from my mechanic which comes with heat, cat and is tüv-able.... but it costs 2,8k€ + VAT...

The ninemeister header-stuff seems to be very very good and tricky. What is the current $ vs. pound exchange rate?
Old 07-21-2014, 04:53 PM
BHCfarkas
Racer

unfortunately, the exchange for euro is bad here, still.

1 USD is .73 Euro
Old 07-21-2014, 05:23 PM
metalracer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 65-89 911 versions will absolutely fit as-is without flipping flanges, head spacing issues, etc. Just bolt them on. The trick will be fitting a muffler yup like with a single right-side outlet, obviously opposite of earlier 911s. With some fiddling/fab'g, I would attempt this with a normal 911 muffler, Dansk, what have you... Mounting will also require fab work. Go with the 1.63" size, smaller will be restrictive for the 3.6 and 1.75" will likely reduce low-RPM torque.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:57 PM
BHCfarkas
Racer

Originally Posted by metalracer
The 65-89 911 versions will absolutely fit as-is without flipping flanges, head spacing issues, etc. Just bolt them on. The trick will be fitting a muffler yup like with a single right-side outlet, obviously opposite of earlier 911s. With some fiddling/fab'g, I would attempt this with a normal 911 muffler, Dansk, what have you... Mounting will also require fab work. Go with the 1.63" size, smaller will be restrictive for the 3.6 and 1.75" will likely reduce low-RPM torque.
Fantastic advice, thank you.

The fabbing and whatnot won't be a huge issue as long as I can find a suitable 2in-1out muffler. I have a welder and stuff I can make the appropriate stuff to make it work. I'm just most interest in the idea that the actual headers would bolt on to the 3.6 without issue.

I might have to be the guinea pig for everyone and document everything. I'm sure everyone else would be happy for a cheaper alternative to the other stuff out on the market, not to discredit their quality, but there's a huge Porsche tax on aftermarket parts that I find absurd is a lot of cases.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:51 PM
metalracer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finding a decent donor muffler cheap shouldn't be too hard, check the boards over on Pelican, call shops, junkyards, etc. You'll also need to fab or buy extension pipes from the collectors to the muffler. Since you're up to the fab work, you could easily make these into heat exchangers by adding a larger diameter tube around them and using silicone duct hose to make the distances from feeder fan and to the chassis inlet valves. I know you're not interested in heat but defrost is always a good thing:-)

Quick Reply: OBX race headers