Modding vs. Originallity

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 05:49 PM
azander
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Modding vs. Originallity

Hi everyone,

I wonder what the value is of these cars once modded. Is it typically 50 cents on the dollar or can it possibly be more if done tastefully?

When I was in the market a few years ago, I couldn't find a car worth the asking price. They were all bad. In stock form it's hard to call these sports cars, IMO. That said I settled on a good buy and have done many 'mods' as a part of a restoration. Many OE RS bits. Mechanically it's great. It needs some odds and ends along with cosmetic work, however. I'm on the fence about proceeding with retained value in mind.

The prices for these have seemed to sky rocket recently. I wonder if I'm building it for myself or if tasteful upgrades are appreciated on a potential market. (... then again there are 964s that are far from original asking over a quarter mil)
Old 07-05-2014, 07:04 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would pay more for a lightly modded/sorted car every-time.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:12 PM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Depends what,s been done ,,,,If the car has say some basic mods like and exhaust and air intake then Yes , I think that adds a degree of value as most of us will more than likely change those parts anyway ,it all so saves me the time and money on having to do it on a stock car,,,,I would be paying for the convenience of having it done...................
Old 07-05-2014, 08:18 PM
bobaines
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any mod that can be reversed and for which you have the original parts should not be a big deduction. Maybe more than price the effect of mods to to reduce the potential audience for your car and impact the time needed to find a buyer. This can work both ways if someone is looking for just what you have done. As these cars get older and more valuable, original examples will get a premium. You have to live with your car while you own it and if it is your vision and passion I say go for it understanding the back end implications.
Keep in mind at the extreme end of the spectrum a Singer is a moded 964.

Last edited by bobaines; 07-05-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:45 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Most modded 964's I've seen on here follow the same old worn out route of RS cosmetic upgrades with BBS 18" wheels or are slammed.

I'm not saying I don't like the look of these two types of car because I do, its just I wouldn't pay a premium for a car that just looks different to a standard car.

I would however pay a premium for a lightened car with top quality suspension set up, close ratio box with LSD, upgraded brakes and a more powerful engine.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:57 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperUser
I would pay more for a lightly modded/sorted car every-time.
Me too if it's properly done with mods like a 964 RS. I would run the other way if it's like RWB.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:36 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 68 Posts

I never mod my cars.

Except the 964 that I am the second owner of was heavily modded by Strosek before I bought her.

I really like the look of my car but there are times I wish it retained the original lines.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:22 PM
Porschekalle
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do from suspension to big brakes rims exhaust and interior almost everything
but I will keep every bolt and nut of the original pieces so if time come to sell something the new owner can decide what he wants .. which that said u will not loose any money so to speak .. the times u enjoyed the car driving around in your setup .. priceless !!!
Old 07-06-2014, 06:30 PM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

More and more 964's seem to get the modded treatment. Mine included. But I am quite sure that original cars will be worth more on the long term, partially also because so many are being messed around with. As always it also depends on the quality and approach of the mods carried out..
Old 07-06-2014, 10:26 PM
JV44HeinzBar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only mods I appreciate are those that keep the original lines of the car. I'm up for mods in terms of performance only if they don't go overboard, e.g. supercharging/turbo in a N/A car.

I prefer original equipment when it comes to wheels, cup1s to replace D90s, aero mirrors vs flag, etc. I will say that I'm probably one of the few that likes my flag mirrors

Anyhow, I'd take an good, unmodded car over an expensively modified car, aka wanna-be racer, any day of the week. You just never know what you're getting when the mods become to extensive unless there's paper work to back up every change.

Just my opinion.

HB
Old 07-06-2014, 11:42 PM
f3nr15
Racer

The 964 is currently transitioning from being outdated to being a classic.

When a model is outdated (bottom of depreciation cycle), the buyer base consists mainly of enthusiasts, and modifications that "improve" its performance or aesthetics will add value.

When a model becomes a classic, the buyer base consists increasingly of collectors who drive up the value of the cars, and modifications detract from the value.

Consider that once upon a time a "C2 update" added value to an impact bumper car. Nowadays it detracts significantly.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:12 AM
bobaines
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep in mind that all is not lost if you wish to mod your car. There is still a strong market for well done hot rod longhoods. The ones which are the strongest are those that have stayed close to the factory Sports Purpose manuals, or followed the rally or racing programs of the day. Most of these were based on worn out T's, not pristine S's.
I think the same will be true of the 964. Mods that follow the RS, Cup cars, C4 lightweight, and period correct upgrades will do best. An excellent low mileage 964 should do best if kept original.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:22 AM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Just look at the history of past 911's that have become "classic"...as soon as they reach this category "stock" is king in terms of value.
Go ahead and "mod' for your driving enjoyment, but keep the original parts so you can always go back to "original spec" before you sell.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:54 AM
nr1416
Three Wheelin'

I think a RL will pay a bit more for a 964 with tasteful popular mods. But your typical car collector will always want an all original car. It all depends what your looking for.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:22 AM
Shamus964
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bobaines
Keep in mind that all is not lost if you wish to mod your car. There is still a strong market for well done hot rod longhoods. The ones which are the strongest are those that have stayed close to the factory Sports Purpose manuals, or followed the rally or racing programs of the day. Most of these were based on worn out T's, not pristine S's.
I think the same will be true of the 964. Mods that follow the RS, Cup cars, C4 lightweight, and period correct upgrades will do best. An excellent low mileage 964 should do best if kept original.
+964

Quick Reply: Modding vs. Originallity