Uneven wear on rear wheel hub spindle

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 06:46 PM
RichieRoo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Uneven wear on rear wheel hub spindle

Hi all

There's been a brushing sound coming from the left rear of the car for some time (like a brake pad gently touching the disk at one point of the wheels rotation). I don't drive hard enough to warp the rotors, but they appear to have a lot of run-out.

Even though the bearings weren't making any noise, I suspected they were the source of the problem as a long while ago I remember finding the axle nut was loose on that side and I assumed that this may have damaged the bearing.

Having dismantled the hub I found the spindle looks like this:

The diameter of the pitted area is much smaller that the remaining shiny section. So much so that the new bearing is actually loose on the rough section.

I'm assuming this means the hub/spindle is dead and I need a new one?… Just checking before I go scouring eBay for one.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:35 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Richie,

Looks like the bearing has been moving around on the hub and yes, you need a new one.

This can happen when the bearing's internal friction begins rising, resulting in the ID shuffling/spinning on the hub. Its the progression of bearing failure. Loose axle nuts (or too-tight) are the culprit here.

With a new hub & bearing, you'll be back in business. Just be sure to accurately torque the nuts to factory spec to prevent a recurrence.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:09 AM
RichieRoo
Rennlist Member

Default Thanks

Hi Steve. Thanks for all the info. Really appreciate it.

I'll get a replacement.

Cheers Richie
Old 06-30-2014, 04:59 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nasty! Any evidence/docs that the bearings had been replaced before?
Old 07-09-2014, 08:05 AM
RichieRoo
Rennlist Member

Hi chaps. Just an update. I took your advice Steve and replaced the hub – found a good quality second-hand one. The only minor marks on this one where caused by me getting the old bearing off.

The new bearing was a really tight fit in both the carrier and on the hub spindle. Finished it of with a new axle nut correctly torqued.

robt964 – The bearing looked original. As I found the axle nut loose originally, I suspect the half-shaft had been removed at some stage and the axle nut hadn't been torqued to the correct amount. I just hope I've done a better job than they did.

Quick Reply: Uneven wear on rear wheel hub spindle