New owner help, please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 09:42 AM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 26 Posts
Default New owner help, please!

Good morning guys,

I just picked up a real beauty of a 964 after having been looking for about a month or so. This is my first air cooled 911...still have a 996GT3 as my track car and am selling my 06 Cayman S (yet another track car). I wanted a fun, classic street car...hence this 1990 C2.
That being said, though I have been around these cars forever I don't know enough about them yet.
I don't have the owners manual and am trying to find onto buy, copy or download (anyone?) but I have the "red !" that goes on in the dash very time I start it....I don't know why. How do I know what the "problem" is?
I know i'll get the emoticon...I would if I had one!!
Thanks.
Oh and pics with my race bike on top.
Attached Images   
Old 06-24-2014, 09:47 AM
gsxr_fvr
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris R.
Good morning guys,

I just picked up a real beauty of a 964 after having been looking for about a month or so. This is my first air cooled 911...still have a 996GT3 as my track car and am selling my 06 Cayman S (yet another track car). I wanted a fun, classic street car...hence this 1990 C2.
That being said, though I have been around these cars forever I don't know enough about them yet.
I don't have the owners manual and am trying to find onto buy, copy or download (anyone?) but I have the "red !" that goes on in the dash very time I start it....I don't know why. How do I know what the "problem" is?
I know i'll get the emoticon...I would if I had one!!
Thanks.
Oh and pics with my race bike on top.
Does it remain on even after turning the car on? Make sure your hand brake is all the way down..even if its left slightly up it'll throw the "!"
Also congrats, welcome and you definitely lucked out with the Aero mirrors..
Old 06-24-2014, 09:51 AM
deutschland-dobson
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great looking '64 you have there!

Do you get a warning buzzer, or just the "!" symbol?

Chris
Old 06-24-2014, 10:03 AM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

The light comes on when I start it, no other light accompanies it. No buzzer. Oil level is good, fluids are good...brakes are good...
When cold, it makes a strange "squelching" noise from under the shifter...not sure what that is. I don't think it's related since the "!" comes on even when the car is warm. Drives fine though...
Thanks for the help.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:12 AM
Merle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the spoiler light come on as well? Does the ! light turn off after you start driving? This is normal if so. Mine does it too. The ! light is a warning light to let you know there is another light on.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:24 AM
yellowducman
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine comes on when the car is started and doesn't go off until the car start moving. I thought it was normal.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:25 AM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

It will come on and stay on unless I press the button in front of the shifter; then it will remain off until I re-start the car.
I feel like we are on 20 questions...lol!
Old 06-24-2014, 10:40 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will come on and stay on unless I press the button in front of the shifter; then it will remain off until I re-start the car.
I feel like we are on 20 questions...lol!
Yes it will probably be 20 questions for a while because the 'i' staying on will be accompanied by another warning light. e.g. when the low fuel light comes on the 'i' comes on with it. I've never seen an 'i' is on its own but I guess that it could be indicating a fault elsewhere that might be unique to a Canada 964? I believe you have DRLs on canada 964s so maybe there is a problem with those?
Old 06-24-2014, 10:47 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're getting the central warning light then you should also have another light indicating why its on. Since you do not also have the buzzer sounding, it could be one of the following:
Brake Fluid Level
Handbrake
Fan Belt
Oil Pressure
Low Fuel
Rear Spoiler

When you turn the ignition on (without starting the car) are all of these lit up?
Old 06-24-2014, 11:29 AM
Lemass Automotive
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ABS sensor?
Old 06-24-2014, 11:55 AM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Take a look if you have bulbs in the seatbelt and airbag icons on the clock (both should light up when you turn on the key). it is common for the P.O. to remove them. The cause is generally cold solder joints on the board of the gauge and the remedy is to simply solder them, there are plenty of posts and DIY's on the subject.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:31 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to have the same symptoms, caused by a faulty seatbelt sensor. Cleared up when I swapped my steering wheel and installed the airbag bridge adapter.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:16 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

What LouZ said. Also do a search in this forum; somewhere I've seen the gauge diagrams that show all the warning lights you should see when ignition is switched to "on."

Also: buy a copy of Adrian Streather's book on the 964. Tough to find one (it's out of print I believe) but worth whatever you have to pay.

Last edited by Richard Curtis; 06-24-2014 at 07:17 PM. Reason: adding Streather book info
Old 06-25-2014, 07:48 AM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Aha! I have an aftermarket steering wheel, without the airbag.....I bet that's it.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:47 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Aha! I have an aftermarket steering wheel, without the airbag.....I bet that's it.
Get the bridge adapter, it's about $15 iirc. 5 minute install.

Quick Reply: New owner help, please!