964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Works Bell 964 Paddle Shifter

Old 06-09-2014, 03:55 AM
Alivreal
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Still trying to figure out a way of connecting this kit and having the horn working properly from the steering wheel. Could anyone tell me if the 993 steering column is the same as the air bag column fitted to a 964? This could allow me to connect a tiptronic slip ring from a 993 which will have enough connections. I think the 993 non airbag slip ring also has 4 connections which may be enough? Changing a steering column a big job? Thank you for advise on this.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:21 AM
circleswim
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you confirmed that your car has got an airbag column yet? To me they look the same fit from pictures but it's difficult to say with out the two side by side. If anything it's the depth of the slip ring that I think will give you an issue.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:45 AM
Alivreal
Instructor

Originally Posted by circleswim
Have you confirmed that your car has got an airbag column yet? To me they look the same fit from pictures but it's difficult to say with out the two side by side. If anything it's the depth of the slip ring that I think will give you an issue.
I have a non airbag column. I have ordered a 964 airbag slip ring which I think means I have to change my steering column for an airbag version. If I am to change to the airbag column then I am thinking to go one stage further and use a 993 tip slip ring which will have more than enough connections. I think even the 993 non tip slip ring has 4 connections which would give 3 for the paddle and 1 remaining for the horn.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:16 AM
Arrowhead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default paddle shifter

Alivreal. Your steering wheel looks to be a 993 RS wheel. Do you have a passenger side airbag? With your steering wheel removed, does it look like the attached picture? There are 2 threaded holes, one at approx. 2 oclock and one at approx., 8 oclock. These threaded holes are for a air bag clock spring. Do you have them? Here are some posts with pictures for thought.https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ng-photos.html and https://rennlist.com/forums/8877053-post1.html
Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2014, 05:23 PM
Arrowhead
Instructor

Default paddle shifter

Alivreal. Now that I take a closer look at your kit I see a spring loaded tit that would make contact with a 964 airbag clock spring copper surround ring that is incorporated in a 964 clockspring so as someone said previous that it looks like a 993 kit, I don't think so because the 993 does not have one. Your kit in my opinion is for a 964. So before you jump to any conclusions, do some research. I will try to help you figure this out, so throw things by be at times.
Attached Images   
Old 06-09-2014, 05:36 PM
Alivreal
Instructor

Thank you so much Arrowhead. I will keep you posted. I have the airbag ring on order due to arrive in the next day or so. The other thought is if the microswitch on the gear box has earth and a positive. This would mean the wires from the paddles could be earthed at the steering column needing only 2 wires for the signal for the paddles. The 3rd can then be used for the horn. The kit ordered is for a 964.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:58 AM
Arrowhead
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alivreal
Thank you so much Arrowhead. I will keep you posted. I have the airbag ring on order due to arrive in the next day or so. The other thought is if the microswitch on the gear box has earth and a positive. This would mean the wires from the paddles could be earthed at the steering column needing only 2 wires for the signal for the paddles. The 3rd can then be used for the horn. The kit ordered is for a 964.
You are probably right about that a ground is a ground is a ground. When I was installing the paddle assemble I tried what you said and it worked but after looking at the wiring diagram I saw the ground went to the trans ecu and I did not want to take any chances.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:46 AM
Alivreal
Instructor

Originally Posted by Arrowhead
You are probably right about that a ground is a ground is a ground. When I was installing the paddle assemble I tried what you said and it worked but after looking at the wiring diagram I saw the ground went to the trans ecu and I did not want to take any chances.
Hi Arowhead. Do you have a copy of the trans ecu with the microswitch location?
I am tempted to ground the connection at the steering wheel and purchase a backup trans ecu
Old 06-10-2014, 09:32 PM
Arrowhead
Instructor

Default paddle shifter

Today I put together another paddle shifter hub and on this one I added a ground tab inside the hub after which I took the one out of my Porsche and added a ground tab to that. Tomorrow I will put it back together wiring in the original horn wire and use the ground tab grounding the paddle shifter wires etc. I will let you know how it works. Wiring diagrams http://download.qclt.com/PORSCHE/man..._electrics.pdf
Attached Images   

Last edited by Arrowhead; 06-10-2014 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:47 AM
Alivreal
Instructor

Thank you Arrowhead. Looking forward to the results on this one. Looking at the switches on the diagram they are grounded which in theory will work. The 964 airbag squib may do the job.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:20 PM
Arrowhead
Instructor

Well, I wired the Works Bell paddle shifter ground wires into the tap inside my hub and shifting works perfect. I reinstalled the original horn wire through the hub and now that works perfect. So, yes you can have it all. Thank you God for blessing me with enough wiring skill.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:42 AM
Alivreal
Instructor

Well, I wired the Works Bell paddle shifter ground wires into the tap inside my hub and shifting works perfect. I reinstalled the original horn wire through the hub and now that works perfect. So, yes you can have it all. Thank you God for blessing me with enough wiring skill.
You star! I will be going down the same route. Still waiting for my airbag squib to arrive. Can I confirm with you that you used a non airbag steering column?
Old 06-12-2014, 07:19 AM
Arrowhead
Instructor

Default paddle shifter

My car has the original airbag steering column.
Attached Images     
Old 06-12-2014, 10:44 AM
Alivreal
Instructor

My car has the original airbag steering column.
OK. I think I need to change my steering column too!
Old 07-02-2014, 03:49 AM
Alivreal
Instructor

Hi Arrowhead. Tried to fit the airbag squib onto my current stalk and was told that I need the airbag stalk and cowling too! Do you know if the stalks are different and if I can get away with a 993 stalk? Thank you for all your help. I am getting closer I hope

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Works Bell 964 Paddle Shifter