Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LuckyP's Track Day Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 02:28 PM
Jamie Summers
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, should have clarified, my JRZs are on my 968 CS, my 964 RS is still on its original factory Bilsteins. I have ASTs on my Clio race car and they were an absolute nightmare to deal with. Ordered in February and didn't receive the shocks until September....... I had so many fights with them and their UK agent - they just flat lied to me repeatedly.
Anyway - can't remember off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are some other Dutch manufacturers - indeed AST themselves own one of the other brands (can't remember which).
Most people seem to go the KW route on 964s, can't really comment, not having tried them.........

Jamie
Old 10-29-2014, 03:10 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie Summers
I have ASTs on my Clio race car and they were an absolute nightmare to deal with. Ordered in February and didn't receive the shocks until September....... I had so many fights with them and their UK agent - they just flat lied to me repeatedly.
Not the first time I've heard bad things about AST service, shame as the product is good.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:37 PM
LuckyP
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 29 Posts

I went with County Classic's recommendation of JRZ as that's what they use on the Porsche club cars they build.

I know it's gonna be a street car mainly, but I was fed up of track compromises... So I'll suffer on the road for the track fun!!!

Old 10-29-2014, 09:40 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

That JRZ stuff is very cool looking. I know exactly what you mean about compromises, next time I'm going fully spendy on suspension. The really nice track suspension is better on the road than the halfway-house fast road/track day stuff anyway and you get what you pay for in much nicer damping.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:02 AM
Jamie Summers
Racer

Looks lovely - mine is a much older version, installed in 2005. It was originally ordered as one-way adjustable, and then later upgraded to two-way with remote reservoirs.
Adjustment on yours looks much easier. On my fronts you need a socket to adjust the compression on the top of the damper, and on the rears you need to get under the car and use the shaft of a pop-rivet to turn the adjuster on the bottom of the shocks - a tricky exercise carried out purely by feel, flat on your back, at arms length, and in the dark. I would liken it to the quest to find a potentially fictional part of the female genitalia !!!! (not that I would recommend using a pop rivet for that purpose).

Jamie
Old 10-30-2014, 11:28 AM
Rephlex
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by alexjc4
Ah I assumed they were US based for some reason. I know AST are Dutch, who else?

Thanks Jamie, might give Parr a bell then. I was thinking about talking to Nitron and Quantum to see they might develop a 964 fitment, would be nice to get some UK built options.
Intrax are also Dutch I believe, as fitted to Thomas (964tt)'s car

Old 02-04-2015, 04:18 PM
LuckyP
Racer

Ok. Update.

Andy Waters at AW Tracksport introduced me to David Cross body repairs in Horncastle. Simon Cross came to see the body at Andy's workshop. After a few days he put a description of the work required to make this happen. Agreed, the car went to Simon's shop and now we should see real progress.

Simon is updating me with images and descriptions as he progress. I find this all fascinating. I hope you do too.

So far the body had been acid dipped and e-coated for protection. Of course all the seam sealant had gone and the dipping revealed lots of dings and scrapes.

Simon and his team took the exist back by hand to act as a key for the primer and back to metal on the exterior as he knows that we want showroom finish plus to mirror in Basalt black. Enjoy:

Old 02-04-2015, 04:21 PM
LuckyP
Racer

Parts that were beyond repair ordered:

And Simon told me that he'd fabricated a jig to rotate the body to prep and spray the underside:

Old 02-04-2015, 06:53 PM
porsche mania
Pro

Your in good hands with Dave and Simon cross, they bare metal and etch primed the whole roof and both screen surrounds and also did the sunroof delete on my 964 and it's perfect with virtually no filler. They do most of the work on the retail cars for my local Indy so aren't scared of blowing in the front end on 100k plus supercars. They will keep you well informed as well, Simon took at least 50 pics of mine as he went along. Can't speak highly enough of them. When i've finished with the track days I know who will be repainting my car!
Old 02-04-2015, 07:17 PM
Rephlex
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

supoib!
Old 02-05-2015, 03:16 AM
LuckyP
Racer

Originally Posted by Rephlex
supoib!

Originally Posted by porsche mania
Your in good hands with Dave and Simon cross, they bare metal and etch primed the whole roof and both screen surrounds and also did the sunroof delete on my 964 and it's perfect with virtually no filler. They do most of the work on the retail cars for my local Indy so aren't scared of blowing in the front end on 100k plus supercars. They will keep you well informed as well, Simon took at least 50 pics of mine as he went along. Can't speak highly enough of them. When i've finished with the track days I know who will be repainting my car!
That's great to know mate. They seem rammed with work which is a good sign!!

Simon does keep me well informed which is a nice touch when your P&J is away!!

Pete
Old 02-05-2015, 07:55 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

I huge amount of work going into this, all to the right standard too from the looks of it, it's going to be a very special car when it's finished
Old 02-05-2015, 11:50 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I huge amount of work going into this, all to the right standard too from the looks of it, it's going to be a very special car when it's finished
Couldn't have said it better.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:05 PM
LuckyP
Racer

Originally Posted by BLACK-BETTY
Couldn't have said it better.

Thanks guys.

It just looks to me as I'm going backwards rather than forwards!!! Oh well
Old 02-21-2015, 03:35 AM
LuckyP
Racer

On its little dolly now, they can flip it and work on the underside with ease now.

Close up of dolly

Back to flat metal

Etched primer

Both front jacking points rotted so welded on new ones.

Quick Reply: LuckyP's Track Day Project