Sponsored by:

For those with RS Air Ducts...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 10:02 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default For those with RS Air Ducts...

How many of you included a 'netting' to prevent large leaves or 'debris' from making its way down to the cooler and condenser? Part of me wants to do it, but part of me doesn't like the look of the netting.

For those that did go with netting, do you see it as beneficial in catching anything significant?
Old 05-23-2014, 10:26 PM
jpar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought about doing it, but couldn't really find any mesh that i liked.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:14 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Bablouie did it!
Old 05-24-2014, 12:19 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I did it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/9959309-post3.html
Old 05-24-2014, 12:30 AM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I just got some of the 'small diamond mesh' screen in powder coat black from customcargrills.com to put under the slats of my MA Shaw RS America wing and it's a very close match to the original fine gauge Porsche factory screen for a 3.2 Carrera wing. It is much, much better than the large gauge silver mesh screen that MA Shaw supplied with the wing, which was somewhat garish looking. It would probably work well for the RS ducts. See: http://www.customcargrills.com/Diamond-Grill-Mesh.asp [no affiliation]
Old 05-24-2014, 12:40 AM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

By the way, I love the look of the RS ducts but, to be completely honest, I rely on the foglights to make up for the somewhat weak H5 headlights in my 91 c2 cab. I've thought about simultaneously upgrading to H5s, but those appear to only come with chrome headlight rings (not my style) and it isn't entirely clear whether wiring upgrades are necessary for a reliable installation. For those who drive at night with the ducts (and hence no foglights), do you feel like there is enough light?
Old 05-24-2014, 01:30 AM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Why not have both?
Old 05-24-2014, 06:58 AM
tacomaworld
Instructor

JJJMCD -

I am guessing it was a typo when you wrote, "upgrade to H5," when you likely meant H4... I upgraded mine last fall from Pelican and was given a choice between black ring and chrome ring. I now see on their site that it indicates chrome, but also includes a primed cover ring, so you can paint to match.

The upgrade is quite worthwhile. While I was at it, I made harnesses for high beam relays, as well as a set of Cibie driving lights I mount on a second hood in winter. I run 100w bulbs for both and the relays are necessary.

If you're not after maximum wattage, I don't think there's anything more than a harness adaptor - also available at Pelican - to use 55/60 bulbs.

I am particularly particular about soldering and wiring. If you're looking for something out-of-the-box, I bet Daniel Stern would assemble you a harness with relays and higher quality gauge wire than the 14g that comes with the conversion plug adaptor.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:19 AM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

How many of you included a 'netting' to prevent large leaves or 'debris' from making its way down to the cooler and condenser? Part of me wants to do it, but part of me doesn't like the look of the netting.
Hi Mr. Alex

I'm assuming you mean when you just fit the ducts themselves instead of the full air cooling system for the
brakes?

I've just fitted the FVD/Techart system and it would be a simple job to clear out any accumulated debris from the flex pipes with a length of curtain wire.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 05-24-2014, 12:11 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jpar
I thought about doing it, but couldn't really find any mesh that i liked.
Ah, mesh, thats the word I was looking for but spaced out.

Originally Posted by JJJMCD
I just got some of the 'small diamond mesh' screen in powder coat black from customcargrills.com to put under the slats of my MA Shaw RS America wing and it's a very close match to the original fine gauge Porsche factory screen for a 3.2 Carrera wing. It is much, much better than the large gauge silver mesh screen that MA Shaw supplied with the wing, which was somewhat garish looking. It would probably work well for the RS ducts. See: http://www.customcargrills.com/Diamond-Grill-Mesh.asp [no affiliation]
Wing wise is a bit different for me, since the mesh there looks as if it belongs, whereas on the front ducts its a bit of a dilemma for me since it stands out a bit more than I want it to.

Originally Posted by JJJMCD
By the way, I love the look of the RS ducts but, to be completely honest, I rely on the foglights to make up for the somewhat weak H5 headlights in my 91 c2 cab. I've thought about simultaneously upgrading to H5s, but those appear to only come with chrome headlight rings (not my style) and it isn't entirely clear whether wiring upgrades are necessary for a reliable installation. For those who drive at night with the ducts (and hence no foglights), do you feel like there is enough light?
I think the above poster was right about you meaning the H4 conversion. Before I went with H4's, my fogs were also the main light source, but the H4's and good bulbs make a HUGE difference. They come with a black and a chrome ring, but there is also a separate ring that is sold that goes on top of the that one to cover the adjustment screws.

Originally Posted by Silvertarga
Why not have both?
Ideally I'd want the Techart Ducts/Fogs, but 700$ is a bit much.

Originally Posted by Paul284pt
Hi Mr. Alex

I'm assuming you mean when you just fit the ducts themselves instead of the full air cooling system for the
brakes?

I've just fitted the FVD/Techart system and it would be a simple job to clear out any accumulated debris from the flex pipes with a length of curtain wire.

Cheers,
Paul
My car is not going to be getting that much track time and as such I'm not going to route anything to the breaks, just installing the ducts themselves. Partly for aesthetics, partly for more air (Perhaps placebo effect.)

Did you notice your mesh stop anything Vandit?
Old 05-24-2014, 10:42 PM
ClaytoVR
Banned

If anyone needs a set of CultWerks brake ducts let me know, I have brand new set for sale.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:35 AM
orp73
Racer

Originally Posted by Paul284pt
Hi Mr. Alex

brakes?

Cheers,
Paul
Hi Paul, nice set is it not, I have the same, fits really well I thought

Mark
Old 05-25-2014, 12:40 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Paul, nice set is it not, I have the same, fits really well I thought

Mark
Hi Mark,

Yes, I'm very pleased with it although we have had to make a few modifications to get a really good fit by angling the rear intake moulding of the ducts and the bolts.

John's a perfectionist so I'm kind of pleased I haven't done it myself like I planned as I wouldn't have had the skill with fibre glass to have bothered. I'm looking forward to see in them painted.

Cheers,
Paul

Quick Reply: For those with RS Air Ducts...