Sponsored by:

Geo & Setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 11:18 AM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by robt964
Porsche certainly didn't do this as each car rolled off the production line.
I recon few people could tell the difference between a corner weighted car or not on the road, and I include myself in that bracket
http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...ner-balancing/

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-believer.html

fwiw Joe, that near vertical camber you mentioned does not sound remotely like a "fast road" setup.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:45 AM
Jcx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few pictures of the shock, upright and top mounts will help explain this. Willing to be proved wrong but from what I read on this forum and experimenting, its not possible with stock non-rs parts to get that little camber at that low right height. If you are, I want to see and copy it
I'll grab some pics. What do you want to see Rob? Note i don't have ramps or anything :-/

Also, are Bilstein HD shocks regarded as stock?
Old 08-11-2014, 12:23 PM
Jcx
Instructor

Originally Posted by ras62

fwiw Joe, that near vertical camber you mentioned does not sound remotely like a "fast road" setup.
Is possible that my numbers are a bit out. I measured it with my spirit level datum'd to the wheel rim then used trig to calc the camber. Note: i just measured it, i didn't set it up. A mm of vertical offset on my 17" wheels is worth approximately 8' of camber so 15-20' could easily be 30' or 0.5degree.

Is there a formal definition for fast road Ras? I just used the term as non track use. All Porsches are driven fast on the road aren't they?
Old 08-11-2014, 01:27 PM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, crack detective work Rob.

Bummer that it appears non-fixable without a bit of metal work... Is there any modifications you could do with where the monoball mounts in order to get a bit more adjustment?
Old 08-11-2014, 01:55 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ras62

Interesting, but if taken literally those comments would imply/have you believe, that every 964 that rolled out of stuttgart drove like a dog because the spring platforms were equal laterally accross the car and they weren't corner weighted. (just like 99% of every other car on the road at that time I imagine). Or, they really are as bad as described but only the gifted few are sufficiently attuned to notice.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:52 PM
Jcx
Instructor

Interesting, but if taken literally those comments would imply/have you believe, that every 964 that rolled out of stuttgart drove like a dog because the spring platforms were equal laterally accross the car and they weren't corner weighted. (just like 99% of every other car on the road at that time I imagine). Or, they really are as bad as described but only the gifted few are sufficiently attuned to notice.
On each thread it appears that many things were changed at once, making it hard to know which change impacted the most and suggesting that marginal gains are available for tweaking many things.

I rather think that some folks 'feel' more than others ice a car is 99% to get it to 100% for that person.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:11 PM
jevvy964
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO you cant align/set ride heights on a 911 without considering CB - its just daft not to.

They all work together so perfecting one without considering the other can have you adjusting stuff waaay to far in the wrong direction to what would make the car actually drive well instead of just look "right".

You say you wouldn't notice adjusted CB which I suspect is downplaying yr car control however I'd suggest you give it a look as it might well make all the difference - we need some rennlist uk DIY CB scales!
Old 08-11-2014, 03:28 PM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Jevvy, you can buy a set for grand!
Old 08-11-2014, 03:31 PM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

I'm not sure what my settings are, but I'm sure I have a copy on file and I plan a trip to JZ to get it checked in the next couple of weeks.
If you want to take some measurement from my car, you're welcome to rob, it's only in Stanmore!
Old 08-11-2014, 04:11 PM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jevvy964
IMO you cant align/set ride heights on a 911 without considering CB - its just daft not to.

They all work together so perfecting one without considering the other can have you adjusting stuff waaay to far in the wrong direction to what would make the car actually drive well instead of just look "right".

You say you wouldn't notice adjusted CB which I suspect is downplaying yr car control however I'd suggest you give it a look as it might well make all the difference - we need some rennlist uk DIY CB scales!
Nailed it Jevvy

Joe. Fast road generally accepted as RSish ride height with RSish geo.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:28 PM
jevvy964
Pro

Originally Posted by STUARTQ
Jevvy, you can buy a set for grand!
Yeah its finding the grand that I'd not rather spend on something else thats the problem! Like everything else a proper set will cross my path at some point before I die and I'll buy them then
Old 08-11-2014, 05:01 PM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

I've got an idea, I'll look after them (in a work shop in the UK) and we all Chip in a few quid each and anyone not on the list has to pay a rental fee, and a service fee if the set is done for them.
Could pay for its self and more.
Just saying!
Old 08-11-2014, 05:33 PM
jevvy964
Pro

Question

Originally Posted by STUARTQ
I've got an idea, I'll look after them (in a work shop in the UK) and we all Chip in a few quid each and anyone not on the list has to pay a rental fee, and a service fee if the set is done for them.
Could pay for its self and more.
Just saying!
Gets complicated with bits getting broke/miss used/i never did that kinda stuff, happy to go time-share with a few guys though
Old 08-11-2014, 05:56 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

I take your point jevvy and fully understand how it can and does make a difference but my scepticism is by how much. The amount of weight shift achieved by corner balancing is relatively minimal. It's very much a tool of fine tuning. We're talking road cars here, which are compromised from the start as they've never been designed from the outset to factor this to such a degree. Any spring bias applied in this application is lost by addition of a passenger or different passenger of volume of fuel or luggage. These 3 elements alone or combination of are more than capable of swamping any bias thats been applied. It'd be good to see actually some corner figures by those that have had it done and especially vs a non-balanced stock 964 on good OE suspension. I like numbers and stats :-)

Last edited by robt964; 08-12-2014 at 04:43 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:58 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Good call on the time share idea. Maybe we could throw in 4 wheel alignment set to

Quick Reply: Geo & Setup