Sponsored by:

Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 09:52 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
Thanks for the insight again . I'm curious to see how the seller is going to address all the unanswered questions / details on this auction.
He was nice enough to update with pictures, the damage is not uncommon and not as extensive as many I have seen. I would need to look the car over to see how far it actually extends but far better than I expected. It was still a hard hit. It is interesting that 95% of what I have seen is the front right as with this car. I would question his opinion on what it would take to repair properly but could be lived with. The cowl if done properly shouldn't be reading so high so I suspect bondo and paint and a good shop wouldn't need to paint the roof to do it properly. I still expect that it will need work in the near future. But after what we have been seeing this is better than most to start with.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:14 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
He was nice enough to update with pictures, the damage is not uncommon and not as extensive as many I have seen. I would need to look the car over to see how far it actually extends but far better than I expected. It was still a hard hit. It is interesting that 95% of what I have seen is the front right as with this car. I would question his opinion on what it would take to repair properly but could be lived with. The cowl if done properly shouldn't be reading so high so I suspect bondo and paint and a good shop wouldn't need to paint the roof to do it properly. I still expect that it will need work in the near future. But after what we have been seeing this is better than most to start with.
Seller seems responsive and knowledgable as far as I tell. A good sign compared to the recent influx of ******** selling their P cars on BAT.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:06 AM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

I have been following BaT from quite some time. I don't think the issue is a knowledgable seller. It is an uneducated buyer. These auctions boost up prices on both good and bad example of the car. These auctions cause prices to be skewed upward. Maybe I am looking at it the wrong way, but I believe it helps makes a higher than normal price for a serious flawed car and pushes prices higher for the pristine example.

BaT people that have no experience with the model are making comments that help bidders bid. I have made several comments on Porsche auctions warning people to do their homework. Sometimes I feel like these auctions are like a feeding frenzy.

It doesn't make for a healthy market. I guess it is just Economics 101.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by clubrcr; 01-04-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:53 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

From Road Scholars:

#tbt To the second time we offered this ‘94 3.6 Turbo in #PTS #slategrey non Metallic. We first bought the car in our early years with just 1,385 miles and sold it almost 15 years later with 1,985 �� #roadscholars

Old 01-04-2019, 01:17 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Received 620 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
From Road Scholars:

#tbt To the second time we offered this ‘94 3.6 Turbo in #PTS #slategrey non Metallic. We first bought the car in our early years with just 1,385 miles and sold it almost 15 years later with 1,985 �� #roadscholars

just 600 miles in 15 years?? That redefines the term Garage Queen... Great Example
Old 01-05-2019, 11:00 AM
S.White
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by clubrcr
I have been following BaT from quite some time. I don't think the issue is a knowledgable seller. It is an uneducated buyer. These auctions boost up prices on both good and bad example of the car. These auctions cause prices to be skewed upward. Maybe I am looking at it the wrong way, but I believe it helps makes a higher than normal price for a serious flawed car and pushes prices higher for the pristine example.

BaT people that have no experience with the model are making comments that help bidders bid. I have made several comments on Porsche auctions warning people to do their homework. Sometimes I feel like these auctions are like a feeding frenzy.

It doesn't make for a healthy market. I guess it is just Economics 101.

Just my opinion.
No doubt. In addition, it’s become a bit of a status thing for buyers to tell their buddies that they bought/won a car on BaT. Better than a lot of auctions I guess but still doesn’t mean much... Anyway, that is driving participation up and tends to drive prices up too.

I think there is room in the auction house market for specializing in premium collector type vetted cars and/or vetted driver level cars. Just to make it a bit easier for buyers to understand what they are getting into.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:11 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by S.White

No doubt. In addition, it’s become a bit of a status thing for buyers to tell their buddies that they bought/won a car on BaT. Better than a lot of auctions I guess but still doesn’t mean much... Anyway, that is driving participation up and tends to drive prices up too.

I think there is room in the auction house market for specializing in premium collector type vetted cars and/or vetted driver level cars. Just to make it a bit easier for buyers to understand what they are getting into.
I would never buy a car at auction unless it is the one and only and you have no choice. The most reputable houses still sell cars that aren't worth touching IMO.

For example here is a lovely 964 turbo 3.6 that has more issues than many I see but far better concealed to the uneducated buyer. I can point out a number of huge issues with this car well beyond the wrong seats and steering wheel. Not sure what happened to this one but it was clearly reworked to try to sell to some unsuspecting buyer.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/es19/essen/lots/r0102-1994-porsche-911-turbo-36/733577

On the surface it looks great to the unsuspecting. I believe this car was previously owned by lister L8apex. It has the S2 intercooler his had

but it looks as though it has had a rough life at one time and has been cleaned up.

I am curious what some of you might be able to point out as concerns. For the right price it might be an OK example for someone to get into a driver 3.6T cheap but far from the top, quality wise.

911Jetta That is a gorgeous example and sadly appears to be barely driven.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:20 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

I would never buy a car at auction unless it is the one and only and you have no choice. The most reputable houses still sell cars that aren't worth touching IMO.
I agree with Cobalt. Auction houses are nothing more than a place to get buyers and sellers together. These places are there to turn a profit, and although some auction houses might turn down a car to run through based on certain criteria to keep up their reputation, they are not doing any PPIs or guaranteeing the quality the of car.

In some cases, it might be better to stay away from an auction entirely. You are buying a car on a "time clock" which makes your decision quicker than normal and being caught up in the bidding of others, might lead to over paying for a long road of repairs. Sure, you might have some type of recourse if the car is represented poorly, but it is better to take your time, ask questions and get a professional assessment on the car before it is bought.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:12 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

For example here is a lovely 964 turbo 3.6 that has more issues than many I see but far better concealed to the uneducated buyer. I can point out a number of huge issues with this car well beyond the wrong seats and steering wheel. Not sure what happened to this one but it was clearly reworked to try to sell to some unsuspecting buyer.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/es19/essen/lots/r0102-1994-porsche-911-turbo-36/733577

On the surface it looks great to the unsuspecting. I believe this car was previously owned by lister L8apex. It has the S2 intercooler his had

but it looks as though it has had a rough life at one time and has been cleaned up.

I am curious what some of you might be able to point out as concerns. For the right price it might be an OK example for someone to get into a driver 3.6T cheap but far from the top, quality wise.

On the black 3.6, I see some sloppy tape lines around the door jamb vin sticker as well as an odd hole in the underside of the trunk carpet. What else?
Old 01-05-2019, 01:35 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

• Drivers side lower rocker seal is pulling out
  • gap between rear bumper and panel on drivers side is off
  • Passenger side rear quarter still has replacement tab on it, body shop didn’t remove it
  • Rear cross brace that holds stickers appears to be repainted, tape lines around stickers
  • Wrong door speakers (minor)
  • hood gaps are off, skewed to the passenger side
  • Tape lines around sticker in door jamb
  • Missing paint code sticker on drivers side frunk
I would definitely want more pictures to see the rest of the panels and confirm if the serial number stickers are still on the drivers side and hoods. Odds are they aren’t judging by this initial look. What did I miss?
Old 01-06-2019, 01:48 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

• Drivers side lower rocker seal is pulling out
  • gap between rear bumper and panel on drivers side is off
  • Passenger side rear quarter still has replacement tab on it, body shop didn’t remove it
  • Rear cross brace that holds stickers appears to be repainted, tape lines around stickers
  • Wrong door speakers (minor)
  • hood gaps are off, skewed to the passenger side
  • Tape lines around sticker in door jamb
  • Missing paint code sticker on drivers side frunk
I would definitely want more pictures to see the rest of the panels and confirm if the serial number stickers are still on the drivers side and hoods. Odds are they aren’t judging by this initial look. What did I miss?
I trained you well young Padawan LOL. You got the key issues, additional photos or looking the car over would tell more.

Great stuff. It might seem minor to some but when these cars can command $300k for a pristine example picking up on these things can make a huge difference on how far to bid.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:46 PM
S.White
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by clubrcr
I agree with Cobalt. Auction houses are nothing more than a place to get buyers and sellers together. These places are there to turn a profit, and although some auction houses might turn down a car to run through based on certain criteria to keep up their reputation, they are not doing any PPIs or guaranteeing the quality the of car.

In some cases, it might be better to stay away from an auction entirely. You are buying a car on a "time clock" which makes your decision quicker than normal and being caught up in the bidding of others, might lead to over paying for a long road of repairs. Sure, you might have some type of recourse if the car is represented poorly, but it is better to take your time, ask questions and get a professional assessment on the car before it is bought.
I couldn't agree more with both of your comments. I unfortunately have some personal experience with "near misses" at some of the best regarded auctions... Wishing it was easier and the world was more honest....
Old 01-07-2019, 09:54 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Never mind it appears it has been corrected.

Last edited by cobalt; 01-07-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:13 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Anyone know this car?

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/a...rera-rs/727288

I do understand from many of you here that know these cars that its probably a $300k car if its as nice as they represent it to be.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:49 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Andrews
Anyone know this car?

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/a...rera-rs/727288

I do understand from many of you here that know these cars that its probably a $300k car if its as nice as they represent it to be.

I don't know the car but I wish I did. If I were a betting man I would say from what I see its the real deal in a great color with very little to hide. The Christy Brinkley of 964's. It has been cleaned up a little, I suspect an engine out clean and new sound deadening but as far as the 964 N/A NB cars go what isn't to like. I'd get banned if I say what I want to.

I suspect we could see new records if two people want this one.

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale