Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Old 09-13-2018, 08:56 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
They say accident free. Low miles could mean any number of things. Could have sat in the Florida sun for too long, however I suspect this car had a complete nut and bolt clean up. The hardware and underside is quite clean. Amethyst is a great color the red metallic to Cobalt blue.

This is a fully done car if you like the build it is a needs nothing car. The question should be is how good is the quality of the work? It looks quite good although a few minor mistakes like it is wearing the early rear tale light seals which I would ditch and they are using Adrian's numbers of 520 when there were actually 60 less 93 coupes imported.

Looks like a nice car if all checks out.
No heat, no cats, full repaint and a price that's ridiculous.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:09 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

Well, for a unique color combo and a done car it is an ambitious price sure, but for the guy that never wants to see his car on someone else..........

I am not wholly in love with the interior color; black would have been a better choice IMO but in for a penny, in for a pound.

Am I right in thinking at this price it is more than it retailed for new?
Old 09-13-2018, 09:17 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by misterbeverlyhills
Well, for a unique color combo and a done car it is an ambitious price sure, but for the guy that never wants to see his car on someone else..........

I am not wholly in love with the interior color; black would have been a better choice IMO but in for a penny, in for a pound.

Close to 50% more.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:44 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Trader220
No heat, no cats, full repaint and a price that's ridiculous.
It is still a sorted clean example. A 93 with low miles and comes with all original parts. the repaint hurts it but by how much? Only the buyer will say for sure.

I agree There was a 92 3.3 turbo in this color combo here for years and it is stunning but I prefer black. To me for this much It should have a better suspension and upgraded brakes included with original parts set aside.

I suspect the hype will bring attention and someone will pay close to asking.

PS a similar condition car albeit a turbo sold at Amelia for huge money after extensive rework like this car. This car had a full dry ice blasting underneath which means the undercoating was removed and reapplied. They had to remove and replace hardware as well no doubt or at least have it re plated. All this work is costly to do.

MSRP without options in 1993 was in the $68k range with all the options+ tax title registration this was close to a $75k car. What does that matter turbos sell for as much as three times MSRP.

Last edited by cobalt; 09-13-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:19 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

It is still a sorted clean example. A 93 with low miles and comes with all original parts. the repaint hurts it but by how much? Only the buyer will say for sure.

I agree There was a 92 3.3 turbo in this color combo here for years and it is stunning but I prefer black. To me for this much It should have a better suspension and upgraded brakes included with original parts set aside.

I suspect the hype will bring attention and someone will pay close to asking.

PS a similar condition car albeit a turbo sold at Amelia for huge money after extensive rework like this car. This car had a full dry ice blasting underneath which means the undercoating was removed and reapplied. They had to remove and replace hardware as well no doubt or at least have it re plated. All this work is costly to do.

MSRP without options in 1993 was in the $68k range with all the options+ tax title registration this was close to a $75k car. What does that matter turbos sell for as much as three times MSRP.
Anthony does dry ice blasting remove the undercoating and the cad plating on the nuts/bolts? I was under the impression that it would only remove the cosmoline, oil and dirt accumulation. I debated having it done to my Targa but the cost was high and I chose to spend my money on a new top instead. Just curious to hear what the dry ice blasting entails as I am still interested in it.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:34 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

Anthony does dry ice blasting remove the undercoating and the cad plating on the nuts/bolts? I was under the impression that it would only remove the cosmoline, oil and dirt accumulation. I debated having it done to my Targa but the cost was high and I chose to spend my money on a new top instead. Just curious to hear what the dry ice blasting entails as I am still interested in it.
AFAIK dry ice blasting will remove the undercoating but won't remove the cad plating. A friend of mine used the process to remove the undercoating from his track car to save weight. It might be possible to save the undercoating but probably easier to redo it. I am assuming by the lack of any corrosion on any of the hardware (which is quite rare) it was removed and sent out for plating. It would appear that they were redone. Again just speculation but this was probably a low mile car that was somewhat neglected and has been rejuvenated. I wouldn't call it a negative so long as all checks out.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:12 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

AFAIK dry ice blasting will remove the undercoating but won't remove the cad plating. A friend of mine used the process to remove the undercoating from his track car to save weight. It might be possible to save the undercoating but probably easier to redo it. I am assuming by the lack of any corrosion on any of the hardware (which is quite rare) it was removed and sent out for plating. It would appear that they were redone. Again just speculation but this was probably a low mile car that was somewhat neglected and has been rejuvenated. I wouldn't call it a negative so long as all checks out.
That’s good to know and now I’m glad I didn’t have it done. FWIW my car still has 99% of the nuts and bolts in tact and plated with no corrosion. In my instance I think all the oil that leaked from the engine (90 car) helped protect and coat the parts! Perhaps having the leak for the first 20 years of its life wasn’t a bad thing .
Old 09-14-2018, 12:46 PM
TKO
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

That’s good to know and now I’m glad I didn’t have it done. FWIW my car still has 99% of the nuts and bolts in tact and plated with no corrosion. In my instance I think all the oil that leaked from the engine (90 car) helped protect and coat the parts! Perhaps having the leak for the first 20 years of its life wasn’t a bad thing .
Dry Ice blasting has the opportunity to remove as much or little as possible. I just had it done locally in SoCal (one of the only in CA for automotive work). This is from their owner ..... "Dry ice blasting was developed by Boeing to clean aircraft and aerospace equipment without disassembling them. Dry ice pellets, when blasted, turn from a solid to gas upon contacting whatever that’s resting on the surface—without taking off anything that wasn’t originally there. The pellets aren’t removing the surface grime, the pressure of the gas is. The PSI adjust-ability is pretty impressive. For example, it can remove the ink from a business card without harming the cardstock. It can even remove the “M” on an M&M without damaging the colored coating".
Old 09-14-2018, 03:33 PM
RADONCulous
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 67 Posts

Hey guys I've seen that above Amethyst car and its nothing short of spectacular. As Anthony has mentioned its a need nothing car thats ready to go. No accidents and well documented history. Repaint as it sat out too long. The paint is perfection. The car has custom headers / GT3 exhaust and sounds fantastic--also comes with all original goodies (tool kit, service records, two sets of original wheels, all oem parts including radio--currently they are adding the Porsche Classic Radio). I can't speak for them but I'm sure they will play ball on a decent offer. Frankly, I love the damn thing but can't justify another 964 at the moment...
Old 09-14-2018, 07:43 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TKO
Dry Ice blasting has the opportunity to remove as much or little as possible. I just had it done locally in SoCal (one of the only in CA for automotive work). This is from their owner ..... "Dry ice blasting was developed by Boeing to clean aircraft and aerospace equipment without disassembling them. Dry ice pellets, when blasted, turn from a solid to gas upon contacting whatever that’s resting on the surface—without taking off anything that wasn’t originally there. The pellets aren’t removing the surface grime, the pressure of the gas is. The PSI adjust-ability is pretty impressive. For example, it can remove the ink from a business card without harming the cardstock. It can even remove the “M” on an M&M without damaging the colored coating".

That is good to know. Thx
Old 09-14-2018, 08:26 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TKO
Very good to know, thank you for this feedback. I’ll definitely consider it if I decide to show in the Full Concours although I’m not sure I have the energy to keep up the undercarriage since I drive it so much and don’t have a lift in my garage.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:51 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Yeah, I hate it when the dealer can't even correctly list the car's specifications. I deleted the dealers mention of RWD and added C4 in my text above when I saw it was a C4 from the pictures...

As to suspension (and change of ownership in general), always expect to put a couple extra thousand into a "new to you" car. My car was delivered in crazy good condition, but I still found a way to spend an additional $3,000+ once it arrived.
Originally Posted by TKO
Pardon me for asking, where in SoCal did you go and can you let us know roughly what the cost is involved?

Many thanks
Old 09-15-2018, 12:11 AM
TKO
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 46 Posts

Pardon me for asking, where in SoCal did you go and can you let us know roughly what the cost is involved?

Many thanks
Cryo-Werks in San Diego, not cheap but varies upon what your individual needs are.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:12 PM
_Remi
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

I know that it's all about coupe and targa here but if someone is looking for a cab, this seems to be a great one: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto...695296849.html (no affiliation). It's about what I paid for mine and had to sort out a few things afterward.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:29 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts
Default 964 Targa

Buyer Beware on this one: I had a thorough PPI done on it a few weeks ago and it is a pure lemon. I was so disappointed. Seller knows and is not disclosing in this new CL Ad.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/6699280364.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale