Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Old 04-01-2017, 09:42 AM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
Be very careful with the seller; not a good reputation. A thorough PPI is a must. Assume the worse with these jokers.
What he said.... times 2
Old 04-01-2017, 11:36 AM
xgrudgex
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Trader220
What he said.... times 2
Make that times 3....and I actually purchased from them.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:05 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Don't get me wrong.... I am not saying the car is not worth looking into. Just go in with your eyes wide open.

Their recent auction on BaT is telling.

Its a nice looking car. But realize its been rode pretty hard.

If it were me, thats a car I would need to spend the money to go see in person before I even sent it out for a PPI. Its an interesting car at the asking price. Sort of an interesting color, I like. Hard to tell much about the paint work because the lighting in the photos is not that great. Many of their other listings have staged photos, wonder why they didn't on this one?

Carfax shows the car being in Cali back in Oct 2016 with 97001 miles on it. The rear looks to have been painted and the color may be off but then again it may be the lighting.

"typical oil leaks" is something to take a close look at being an 89 with the no gasket motor.

I am not calling the seller out since I have never personally dealt with him. On the other hand with his rep I would want to see everything first had and not take his word for anything.

Good Luck. Nice looking car!
Old 04-01-2017, 05:56 PM
greens
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps it's just the lighting but the rear bumper and the engine lid on that Velvet Red C4 appear to be a lighter shade than the actual left and right panels. Plus the Carrera 4 emblem is definitely off centered to the left. Plus it's being sold by "those guys".

Personally I wouldn't even waste my time with it but if you're considering it an extremely thorough PPI is a certainty.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:23 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 271 Likes on 158 Posts

I just have an IPhone to look at these pictures maybe one of you guys with a nice monitor can look at the engine bay pictures and check if you can see the spot welds. I saw on another thread that you can see the spot welds bug if they have been smoothed out that is a sign the rear quarters have been replaced.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:55 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Trader220
If it were me, thats a car I would need to spend the money to go see in person before I even sent it out for a PPI.
Good Luck. Nice looking car!
I have to say, every time I have made the effort to go see a car in person in spite of lots of high quality photos, I have always been glad I did. There are always things I find on the car that the photos don't really show well, and I would have been disappointed if I bought the car not knowing that.

I personally don't know how people buy cars sight unseen. Now, maybe if you have a very trusted Porsche friend go look for you, possibly. Otherwise, pass....
Old 04-02-2017, 08:53 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,926 Likes on 1,166 Posts

I didn't know anything about this seller when i first posted that was why I alluded to the back end being painted however in light that the seller is in question it is clear the back end has been painted but to what extent was the damage?

They aren't hiding the fact that this was a tracked car. It still retains the roll bar and has two different seats. If your into the color and the damage was not extensive it might be worth a look. It would be nice if they had the original drivers side sport seat but odds are that is missing. It is also missing the rear side panels by the back seats so odds are whatever is in the car currently was put back and the rest you will have to source. I would ask for pictures of the entire inside of the frunk with the spare and carpeting removed. The full underside of the entire car along with the toe box area before even considering looking at it.

An 89 with 97k miles that has been tracked and no mention of top end rebuild sounds like a pricey proposition at their asking price.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:27 PM
rvmhn
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice thread, thanks guys. Learned a ton while reading. I'm in the market for a 92-94 964 - prefer black exterior but any color will do. Also, strong preference for a black interior. Coupe/manual only. If anyone has anything, please pm this Porsche nut

Cheers,
Ravi
Old 04-05-2017, 01:41 AM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

This car should be sold ASAP

https://www.pca.org/classified-ad/320597
Old 04-05-2017, 01:37 PM
Markbrady5280
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

964 Virgin here - need help PLEASE
Found a 2-owner, Clean Carfax 1990 C4 with 180k. What is it worth?
Per owner; "It doesn't have the dreaded head weep that requires the major fix. That being said it does leave a few drops after a drive, very common especially with the miles. What it needs as a daily driver is a valve adjustment and back brakes and front servo boot replaced. Interior is very clean, a little cracking on the driver seat side bolster. Clean dash. The outside has several flaws; crack in the windshield, crack in front bumper, several door dings and a minor dent above right rear fender. Some scuffing on the right base panel. I've budgeted 17k to bring her totally back with a proper motor rebuild."
I have never owned a Porsche but always loved the 964 and 993. I have no idea what to ask the seller next and more importantly, what the car might be worth. Thanks for the help guys!!!
Old 04-05-2017, 01:55 PM
Jay911
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Markbrady5280
Per owner; "It doesn't have the dreaded head weep that requires the major fix. That being said it does leave a few drops after a drive, very common especially with the miles. What it needs as a daily driver is a valve adjustment and back brakes and front servo boot replaced. Interior is very clean, a little cracking on the driver seat side bolster. Clean dash. The outside has several flaws; crack in the windshield, crack in front bumper, several door dings and a minor dent above right rear fender. Some scuffing on the right base panel. I've budgeted 17k to bring her totally back with a proper motor rebuild."
I have never owned a Porsche but always loved the 964 and 993. I have no idea what to ask the seller next and more importantly, what the car might be worth. Thanks for the help guys!!!
My suggestion would be if you are really interested is to get a PPI done. That will tell you where you stand. The $17,000.00 sounds like a light number. It you can get it for 30k, put 20k into it, will it be a 50k vehicle. I say no but the 964 is still a hot car on the market.

I just don't see an experienced Porsche guy paying $50,000.00 for a 964 with over 175k on the clock, respray and no paperwork. For you to do that, have a great time putting 8k a year on it for the next 6-8 years, I would say it's worth it.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:59 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,926 Likes on 1,166 Posts

Can't opine on its price but no matter what you do have a full PPI done by a mechanic who knows 964's if you don't know the car or its history. Odds are it needs the full engine rebuild top and bottom. If it never had the cylinders replaced and the heads machined for rings you could be talking a bit more than you budgeted. Have the oil lines checked as they are expensive to replace along with check paint with a meter to see if it has had any poorly done bodywork. Odds are it has.

GL
Old 04-05-2017, 02:36 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you in Denver Mark? I am a native Denverite and would be more than happy to talk to you and recommend a good shop. They may even know the car. I have owned a few 964s and can provide some guidance.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:38 PM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

If you want to get into a 964 and keep it forever, buy one with that many miles. Even if you rebuild the engine that car will be hard to sell on the open market, especially for a premium. It all depends on what you're looking for. Personally I like to have cars that are a premium grade, that way if I want to sell it, the car has really high demand. I'm also meticulous to the details and that cars sounds like it needs some work.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:44 PM
Markbrady5280
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you ALL for the quick responses. MUCH appreciated. I'm getting the feeling that this is too much of a project car for someone like me with no experience AND being 4 states away from the car AND having that many miles. The hunt continues!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale