Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 12:09 AM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I am sure those guys at Trissl can get that back on the road in no time.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:04 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,298 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Trader220
I am not saying there aren't cars out there where thats the correct mileage, heck I have a couple of 88's with lower miles but they're used each year. I would need to see some docs verifying the miles given that the odo says the car didnt go anywhere in 5 years.
Wasn't saying you were. But there are many of these cars that have had their odo disconnected and driven extensively. Most buyers have no clue. I would expect to see at least a few miles driven around the block if not just to warm up the components. Sitting idle is a killer for these cars. I don't put many miles on some of my cars but they do get driven occasionally to keep things from drying out. Keeps them leak free.

Originally Posted by cool whip
I would love to own a roadster someday, love the color of this one. I hope the people in the car are okay.
I agree. I would have a hard time buying something like that. There is a 930 also for sale that didn't look like it ended well for the driver.

Originally Posted by roastbeef
thats an expensive 3rd brake light and shifter ****. everything else looks like scrap.
I agree but I have seen cars like this especially a couple of C4 wide body cars that have been cobbled back together.

Originally Posted by 02m2
I am sure those guys at Trissl can get that back on the road in no time.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:16 AM
911passion
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi all,

991 owner wanting to get back in a 964...
I am currently bidding on this girl and wanted to share and see if anyone has seen it before and can share anything?

I am in touch with seller but not entirely sure the story checks out. I am willing to trust the system though...

What do you think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172586131197
Old 03-23-2017, 09:23 AM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 279 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by 911passion
Hi all,

I am currently bidding on this girl and wanted to share and see if anyone has seen it before and can share anything?

I am in touch with seller but not entirely sure the story checks out. I am willing to trust the system though...

What do you think?

It is a nice looking car I have a question for those smarter than me. What exactly are "toe in correcting stablizing bars" don't believe I have seen that term before
Old 03-23-2017, 09:31 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911passion
Hi all,

What do you think?

I hate to say it but I wouldn't buy any 964 without a proper PPI performed by a knowledgeable 964 mechanic blessing it first. Far too many of these cars have been reworked, painted covering up accidents etc.

It does look to be a clean example but pictures can lie. The lettering on the back deck lid is improperly installed and I might be wrong but looks as though the interior has been dyed. Chrome wheels clearly not factory so what else was changed and changed back?

I would have the paint meter readings verified and I would want pictures of the underside. Also is it appears to be an early vin 90? Was the engine reworked? If not that can be a costly mistake.

Good Luck.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:10 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
It does look to be a clean example but pictures can lie. The lettering on the back deck lid is improperly installed and I might be wrong but looks as though the interior has been dyed. Chrome wheels clearly not factory so what else was changed and changed back? I would have the paint meter readings verified and I would want pictures of the underside.
Quick look shows the lower part of the rear bumper and rockers were repainted to body color instead of OEM black. Rocker gasket was cut at the shark fin junction, front tow hook plug has paint missing.

As Anthony mentioned, ask for additional pictures as well as a closeup of the blue sticker at the base of the hood.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:45 AM
911passion
Racer

Thanks both for your valuable input.
This is very helpful and brings some sanity in the purchase process. I will ask for a PPi.
Anybody in LA you would recommend?
Also if a member from the LA area wants to go have a look I will buy diner and drinks!
Old 03-23-2017, 12:09 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by LPMM
Quick look shows the lower part of the rear bumper and rockers were repainted to body color instead of OEM black. Rocker gasket was cut at the shark fin junction, front tow hook plug has paint missing.

As Anthony mentioned, ask for additional pictures as well as a closeup of the blue sticker at the base of the hood.

My first impression was the rocker lowers were painted too. On closer inspection of the photos they're not painted, they're factory black. They're a bit sun faded and the lighting is making them look gray.

At Cobalt mentioned the Carrera 2 badge is incorrectly applied which might mean the car was rear ended. Or, as is somewhat common the 2 may have come off in a car wash or the two may have broken and just not been replaced properly.

Its all about price. The bids in the 40's already, its not a $60k car to me, but I would pay into the $50k range.

If you want someone who is knowledgeable to put some eyes on the car..

www.techweenie.com <<<<< Talk to Bill, thats his website.

"CONSULTING SERVICES FOR PEOPLE BUYING, SELLING AND MODIFYING PORSCHES"

He is a regular here and on Pelican. He's a great guy, and as knowledgeable a guy on air cooled 911's as you'll meet. He will go look at the car for you and let you know if its worth doing a PPI. His costs are worth the report you'll get from him. He'll meter the paint, shoot real photos of what the dealer wont shoot and give you a full report. I have done business with him and highly recommend him.

Nice looking car, good luck.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:26 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Trader220
My first impression was the rocker lowers were painted too. On closer inspection of the photos they're not painted, they're factory black. They're a bit sun faded and the lighting is making them look gray.
I see your point but I am not convinced, I think some of the shadows are making them appear black in certain pictures when they are instead painted body color. Could be wrong though.
Attached Images   
Old 03-23-2017, 12:30 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

LOL I see your point.... nothing like getting a set of eyes on them!
Old 03-23-2017, 12:33 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

The lower rocker panel covers paint black has always been a point of confusion.

My friends 964 turbo in Midnight blue had never had any paint work period including the bumpers. Very rare to see but being Midnight blue as most I have seen the lower rockers are color coordinated from the factory. It would appear that darker colors were painted body color and lighter colors had the lower portions painted matte black. I don't know where gray falls into play but I believe they should be painted black.

Is it just me or the lighting but do they black rubber trim pieces separating the rear bumper and along the top of the rockers appear to be painted? I would expect more contrast. I would also expect to see more orange peel in the paint. Will be interesting to see what meter readings come back as.

BTW those lower rockers are definitely body color.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:40 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

"0" seller feedback on eBay. TRE in Van Nuys which is very close to Reseda could do the PPI for you.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:41 PM
911passion
Racer

You guys are rock stars!

Thank you again, and I just reached out to Mike to see if he could PPI it... exctiting!
Old 03-23-2017, 12:56 PM
LPMM
Drifting

^^^ BTW, these pictures were taken at Exotic Euro Cars in Woodland Hills.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:20 PM
911passion
Racer

Precious intel. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale